Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-870-UD3 not seeing HDD in clean install

GA-870-UD3 not seeing HDD in clean install
« on: December 26, 2010, 12:12:27 am »
Coal in my Xmas stocking!

Brand new system, new everything, clean install on new HDD.
Trying to install Windows 7 with an official upgrade disk in optical drive. The disk worked for a Vista upgrade. When asked,  I chose Custom Install and after a while it announces that no HDD found and wants drivers to be installed.
On this board, I tried plugging the SATA cable to  SATA3_0 and on SATA2_6.  BIOS says SATA controllers are enabled and set to IDE(not RAID).  Same result.  Award BIOS.  .  Standard BIOS shows IDE Channels 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7.  The opticals are on Ch 4.  All others say 'None'.  I asked BIOS to 'detect HDD' and it found nothing on all of the channels,  master and slave.
Looked at integrated peripherals screen and SATA controller is enabled, On chip and on board enabled.

Phenom II x2 555 Black Edition
WD Blue Caviar 500 GB (OEM, not documentation, no disk, no nothing)
4 GB (BIOS sees it)
Two optical IDE drives in CS mode

I noticed On Chip SATA port 4/5 as IDE and RAID support enabled.   So, I plugged into 4.  Still asks me to point to the media with the drivers.  Re-scan and no driver/HDD  on the list.

Should I get my good XP disk for a try at that install first?

Re: GA-870-UD3 not seeing HDD in clean install
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 01:27:07 am »
So, I find that there is no power to the HDD.  Changed to another connector on the same cable and BIOS sees it now.  I continue to learn in the school of hard knocks....
Windows now installing.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:24:46 am »
Hi,

pleased you found the problem and that it was something simple and easy to fix.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:07:31 pm »
Still problems and gave up on the path I was on.  I began getting BSODs with notes like 'Thread tried to release a resourse it did not own...
Then another about new hardware or software being properly installed.  And on and onn.  So, I put in a different drive that had XP on it from the older computer whose MB died.  It tried to start but would not (OK, I did not expect it to work) and am now doing a clean install with XP and doing a full format.
More to come, no doubt...