Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-UD3R Power on issue

Sev

X58A-UD3R Power on issue
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »
I received a number of components for Christmas as a means to upgrade a mid-range gaming PC - suffice it to say, I've been having some issues with getting the thing to turn on.

The current specs are as follows (i've stripped away as many non-essential components as possible, to limit the possible sources of the issue):

Specs:
MOTHERBOARD: GA-X58A-UD3R (not sure if it's rev 1.0 or rev 2.0, if anyone has a way to tell that would be great)
RAM: 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 (2x2GB) (KHX1333C9D3B1K2/4G)
VIDEO CARD: HD 5770 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX850w (850 watts)
CPU: i7-950 (stock cooler, Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste)

To be more specific about the problem:
While the board is clearly receiving power ("Clear CMOS" button is lit, lights on mobo flash, fans turn momentarily, etc.), and technically receives the signal to turn on when I hit the power button, it is apparently responding tot hat signal abnormally.  

When the power button is pressed, two lights on the board light up (one green, one orange, I don't know the technical name for these lights), and the CPU and Case fans will jerk forward briefly. Within milliseconds, the rest o the lights on the board (several near the top right of the RAM, and a couple just below it) will flash red before going dark once more.  While the computer remains technically "on" (the orange and green lights remain lit, which I imagine signifies that the PC is on), nothing functions.  

I think that it's one of three things (although it could be one of many that I simply haven't accounted for, or for all I know I just connected something wrong): the CPU has somehow been damaged (there are, however, no pins to bend on an i7, so this seems at least a little less likely than some other issues, but hey, God knows), the RAM is damaged or incompatible, or the motherboard itself is somehow shot.  

Any ideas?  I’m kind of at a loss here.  Any and all responses appreciated.

Edit: Yes, I have the RAM in the proper slots.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:44:57 pm by Sev »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: X58A-UD3R Power on issue
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:59:40 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte UK Forum.

Firstly the revision number of the motherboard is printed on the sticker on the outsdie of the motherboard box along with the serial number etc. It is also printed in white paint on the lower left hand corner of the motherboard  near the slots.

There are pins to bend but not on the CPU on the CPU socket. It is here we find bent pins on occasion. They are hard to spot often as they are tiny but if you want to check them then you can take a couple of macro photos and post them here for us to scrutinise.

If you are using the stock cooler then double check that it is secured on all four feet right through the motherboard. This is important.

Post back after you have done that and we shall see where to go from here.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:33:05 am »
You said ram is in the proper slots, but I just wanted to be sure.

You have the memory in the white slots correct?   Again, just checking to be sure because slots 2, 4, 6 are what you need to use and the manual says 1, 3, 5 (Which physical 2, 4, 6, are labeled as)

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:15:56 am »
Yes Lsdmeasap I have noticed this before and it is very confusing even when you know what you are doing. :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

EagleOne

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:57:19 am »
l also had power up issue like urs as well happened twice all fans on everything on but no display got power supply check and graphics there was no problems and my pc is brand new out of box l also had below issue post under X58A - UD3R Boot Up Issue

I just bought a new system I7 350 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 6GB Kingston1600 Ram 5870 ATI my problem is every so often when l turn my pc on, it sets my ram to 1066 when this happens my pc will not load it gets to the Windows 7 64bit animated start logo and freezes and causes BSOD, now this happens at no set time only from cold bootups, sometimes it turns itself off for few seconds then reboots and sometime just boots, so now l have to watch when Gigabyte logo at start and press tab to see the RAM Mhz when it sets itself to 1066 what l have to do is go into Bios and do not change anything but just save and exit and then it sets itself back to 1600Mhz when its at 1600 my system boots up perfectly and runs beautiful, I have updated motherboard and thought it fixed it did not cause a problem for a week or 2 but just today l went to start PC and it changed my RAM Mhz again back to 1066 so l had to go back into bios do the usual, not change anything and then save and it back to 1600, at first l thought it was motherboard that was broken and wanted to replace it, but now reading on net alot are having same problem, l am on a disability pension and took me a long time to save for a new pc, seems it is not a RAM problem as many who are having the same problem & have diff Branded RAMs.
Also noticed a problem with Noctua CPU Fan l have set it to 900 speed sometimes it will not power up just sits there rocking the fan l have to watch to make sure it turns on, then other times just spins up straight away and no l do not have power issues also pc in always connected to power, seems sometimes the motherboard just does not give enough power to the CPU fan.

Is there any HELP for my and everyones problem please thank u for ur time.

Also tried to use support on Australian site to tell them what going on but cannot, also cannot tell them that site links do not work as when l choose suppot all l get is link to Australian site with no email or phone numbers nothing, when l choose product then any country it sends me to this 無法顯示這個頁面
您嘗試在不允許程式執行的目錄中執行 CGI、ISAPI 或其他執行檔程式。

請嘗試執行下列動作:

* 如果您認為這個目錄應該允許執行存取,請連絡網站系統管理員。

HTTP 錯誤 403.1 - 禁止:拒絕執行存取。
網際網路資訊服務 (IIS)

技術資訊 (供技術支援人員使用)

* 移至 Microsoft 產品支援服務,並進行 HTTP 及 403 等字的主題搜尋。
    * 開啟 [IIS 說明] (您可以在 「IIS 管理員 (inetmgr)」中存取),並搜尋名為「設定 ISAPI 擴充程式」、「設定 CGI 應用程式」、「使用網站使用權限保護站台」及「關於自訂錯誤訊息」的主題。
    * 在 IIS Software Development Kit (SDK) 或 MSDN Online Library 中,搜尋名為「開發 ISAPI 擴充程式」、「ISAPI 及 CGI」及「偵錯 ISAPI 擴充程式及篩選器」的主題。

Translated says

This page can not be displayed
You try to run the program in the directory does not allow the implementation of CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program.

Please try the following:

* If you believe this directory should allow execute access, please contact the Web site administrator.

HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: to refuse access.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for technical support personnel)

* Go to Microsoft Product Support Services , and the HTTP and 403 the subject of the search words.
    * Open [IIS Help] (You can "IIS Manager (inetmgr)" to access), and search called "Set ISAPI extensions", "set the CGI application", "use the site permission to protect the site" and " About Custom Error Messages "topic.
    * In the IIS Software Development Kit (SDK) or the MSDN Online Library , search entitled "Development of ISAPI extensions", "ISAPI and CGI" and "Debugging ISAPI Extensions and Filters" theme.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:43:07 am »
From what you explained about your fans etc it would seem that they are receiving insufficient power to start. Most fan s require a minimum of 7V to start turning and anything less will just cause the symptom that you describe of just rocking. There are some fans that will work with a 5V minimum but they are more unusual.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB