Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H57N-USB3 - Will not boot

yinny

GA-H57N-USB3 - Will not boot
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:06 am »
Hi,

My nephew purchased components to build a system and cant get it to start. I have it with me and my question is about power supply.

The cpu is a corei5 650. 4gb ddr3

I have connected the main 24 pin atx connector. I can then connect either a 4 pin connect or my psu has a configuration of an 8 pin being 6pin and then a 2 pin side by side. If i connect the 4 pin, the computer will start and the cpu fan turns, if I connect the 8 pin confirguation (Obviously into the 2x4 pin socket next to the cpu) it wont switch on. To cinfude matters further the case my nephew purchased did not have a speaker attached.

Can anyone offer me any advice

Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-H57N-USB3 - Will not boot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:59:29 am »
Hi there,

If you use the 4 pin 12V ATX connector you need to plug into the 8 Pin connector as shown in the following diagram.

The 6Pin + 2 Pin connector sounds like it is a connector for a graphics card which is probably why the PC won't BOOT when you try connecting this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

yinny

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:40:23 pm »
Hi many thanks for the reply.

I have built systems before but not using components as high end as these. Am i right to say that I only need the one 4 pin connector to be used? Also is it ok to take a chassis speaker out of one machine and put it into this one? For some reason my nephew chose a chassis without a speaker so I cant hear any POST beeps, I cant see a reason why i cant do this. The CPU isnt an extreme, its a core i5 760 2.8hz.

When I use just the one 4 pin power plug so that the cpu fan spins , I dont get any video output at all, any idea why this might be happening?

thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:06:01 pm »
Hi,

yes you can take a speaker from another PC Case and use that to hear the POST Beeps.

Am i right to say that I only need the one 4 pin connector to be used?
Technically yes, however it is better if you can connect an 8 Pin lead as it does provide better power stability. If your PSU doesn't have the 8 Pin 12V ATX connector you can buy an adaptor and I have used this method successfully.

How are you connecting the monitor to the PC?
If you could post back with your full system specs it might help with diagnosing the video output problem.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

yinny

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »
Ok,

Its really quite basic at the moment,

The motherboard is as stated GA-H57N-USB3

It has 2 x 2gb ddr3 Kingston KHX1600C9AD3K2 chips

It has a NZXT Lexa S case

It has a Arianet black 850w silent gaming psu

Once its up and running it will have a Pallit 2gb graphics fitted to it.

I have just removed a speaker from another case and will be fitting that in 20 minutes or so (lunchtime)

Thanks