Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58A-UD3R (Rev.1): Can't install AHCI drivers

X58A-UD3R (Rev.1): Can't install AHCI drivers
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:14:03 am »
Hi there.

I have a driver issues that has been frustrating me for days now.

My specs are:

MB:X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 950
RAM: 12GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro 600
Drives: Corsair Force 120GB SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 650GB
PSU: 760 watt
Cooling: Corsair Hydro H70

Here's the issue:

I have been trying to enable AHCI on the SSD for a while, but even when I set the BIOS to AHCI mode before OS installation, I get "AHCI bios not installed" on every boot. The system boots fine and no errors are raised by the OS or BIOS, no BSOD, but the message persists.

I have tried reinstalling the BIOS, upgrading it to the latest version, downgrading it, reinstalling Windows, nothing works.

Does anyone know how to install the drivers during the Windows install? I have been told enabling them after install causes issues. Any help would be really appreciated because I am about to start a game design course and can't do it without the machine running properly.

Cheers

Mick

Does anyone know of a way

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: X58A-UD3R (Rev.1): Can't install AHCI drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:24:23 am »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

It is possible to change modes from IDE to AHCI after installation of Windows, however you have to do a registry hack first. But enough of that for a minute as you should be able to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS and then load the OS anyway.

Try clearing the CMOS and start from there.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least ten minutes before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Opimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 05:22:38 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

It is possible to change modes from IDE to AHCI after installation of Windows, however you have to do a registry hack first. But enough of that for a minute as you should be able to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS and then load the OS anyway.

Try clearing the CMOS and start from there.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least ten minutes before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Opimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self and then press F10 to save and exit.

Hi DM. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have cleared the CMOS a few times with the external button on the back of the board. Does that do the same thing as removing the battery? If not I will give it a go. I also never selected Optimised Defaults.

I have reinstalled the BIOS twice, upgraded it, and did the registry hack, but not in combination with the instructions you gave. I'll try it and get back to you.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Mick

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:04 am »
I followed your guide, but it still says "AHCI bios not installed" on boot.

Any other ideas?

shikae

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:56 am »
I had this same problem, but I assume you did not change your registry settings as mantis suggested. Even after doing the below settings, I decided against AHCI even though my SSD mfg said it was recommended.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after Instalation:

There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing. The detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

These steps are provided at your own risk and not suggested unless you know and understand the risks. You will want to make sure the controller driver and MB BIOS support this option before you enable it

Slider

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:33:01 am »
I followed your guide, but it still says "AHCI bios not installed" on boot.

Any other ideas?

My P55A-UD4P also states AHCI bios not installed during boot.  I don't know why this shows up during the POST, but everything (as far as the Intel SATA controller is concerned) seems to work fine.  With this build I am using a RAID 0 for the boot drive that was created before I even first attempted to install Windows 7.  Once Windows 7 is up and running the Intel RAID software confirms that the RAID 0 is operating normally, including write behind cache (I have a UPS).  I did have to install the Intel RAID driver by pressing F6 at the hard drive configuration stage of the Windows 7 install and then installed the latest drivers from the Gigabyte web site including the Intel RAID driver and control software.

I can only assume the AHCI bios not installed message must have something to do with the fact that I have RAID enabled in the BIOS.  Perhaps during POST any AHCI capabilities are disabled due to using a RAID or something?  I really have no idea why this message shows up but I am interested in finding out.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:13:03 pm »
As far as I am aware you can only have RAID or AHCI selected in the BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB