Official GIGABYTE Forum

P67A-UD3 BIOS Corruption Issues

P67A-UD3 BIOS Corruption Issues
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:31:43 am »
Hi Chaps,

I thought I'd post here to see if I can get a bit of insight into some BIOS issues I'm having with my new P67A-UD3 board.

So, I bought this board along with a Core i5 2500K as an upgrade to the Sandy Bridge platform, and while the board is cheap, it seems to be quite good if you don't require any of the advanced features of the higher end boards.

However, I've been having a few problems with the BIOS.

Firstly, when I got the board, it was using the F3 BIOS, so before I did any tweaking, I decided to upgrade to the latest beta (F6a). So firstly I tried to flash this using QFlash, which didn't work (it just moaned that it wasn't a valid BIOS file).

So after that, I created a DOS boot USB stick and flashed using SPIFLASH.

This went OK, and I booted back up and started to twiddle with the multiplier on the chip a little bit. Unfortunately here I fell foul of what I feel is a bit of a usability problem in the BIOS settings.

If you've got the CPU advanced frequency options option and you then go down further into the sub menu for turbo options, you can still change the CPU multiplier, but then once you exit from this sub menu the changes aren't reflected.

So at this stage I'm wondering why my clock isn't changing by the time I've booted into windows, so I put it down to perhaps a bug with the beta BIOS, and flash to F5 using SPIFLASH. Note that during both of these flashes, I didn't clear CMOS or DMI data (it really should do it by default I think, but the autorun batch file that comes with the BIOS release calls SPIFLASH with /Z, which doesn't appear to do anything as far as I can tell).

Unfortunately, this is where the problems began.

After the flash, the machine booted up to a BIOS corruption message, and recovered by flashing the backup copy of F3. So I managed to recover, although at that stage sometimes the machine had a few problems POSTing, especially if an overclock is applied.

So, now I'd realised that the clock problem wasn't due to the beta BIOS, just a weird quirk in the BIOS menu layouts, I flashed back to F6a using SPIFLASH. This went fine, and I didn't have any issues for a while.

However, after doing a bit of overclocking, I ended up hitting a stability wall which caused a BSOD and an automatic reboot (if you're used to overclocking you'll know that this isn't unusual if you're testing stability). After the reboot, I ended up with a corrupt BIOS checksum again.

So, again, the backup BIOS of F3 was flashed, though this time I did a full CMOS clear, then another flash back up to F6a and the issues were resolved.

A few hours later, I was booting the machine, and noticed I'd forgot to change the boot order for Hard Disk first. So as I was sat there waiting for the BIOS to get past the CD-ROM in the boot order, I hit the reset switch to pop back into the BIOS. Unfortunately, this led to the BIOS corrupting itself again.

Unfortunately, this time, trying to reflash back to F6a wouldn't work. SPIFLASH just kept telling me I had a bad BIOS image.

At this stage I've managed to get back to F6a using @BIOS, but I'm more concerned about what could be causing these problems. The ONLY link I've got at the moment (even though it's tenuous) is that when the machine resets (either because of a BSOD or the use of the hard reset switch), the BIOS basically breaks.

I've got a spare battery I'm going to pop in later tonight, though it seems bizarre to me that a new board would come with a dodgy battery.

Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before? Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Dalamar

Re: P67A-UD3 BIOS Corruption Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:59:45 am »
I haven't tried to update with a non-Windows tool as the dual bios eliminates the risk, so I can't verify that weirdness but -
I got a corrupt BIOS after a failed OC too. My last GB board never did anything like that when OC fail, why does it do that now!?

I suspect the current BIOS is buggy. Speaking of BIOS bugs, if any Gigabyte staff is reading this, please read this too: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/914507-whats-up-my-sb-vid.html
I mentioned it in a gigabyte.com.tw ticket a few hours ago but they don't seem to be responsive (one ticket ignored for 3 days and counting, lol)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:20:23 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Have you checked to see what BIOS version your Backup BIOS is?

It is possible that if it is still at F3 then when the BIOS gets corrupted that the Backuop BIOS kicks in and takes you back to an older version.

@Dalmar

Normally the GGTS take about a week to ten days to answer a query so don't expect anything too fast!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:02:52 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Have you checked to see what BIOS version your Backup BIOS is?

It is possible that if it is still at F3 then when the BIOS gets corrupted that the Backuop BIOS kicks in and takes you back to an older version.

Hi Mantis,

My Backup BIOS is version F3, and yes, it returns me to F3 when the BIOS corrputs itself.

However, this isn't what concerns me, it's more WHY the BIOS is corrupt itself in the first place.

For example, I had no issues with my machine yesterday, opened it up to install a PCI-E card today, powered on, the machine failed to POST one or two times, then POST'ed but moaned the BIOS was corrupted and restored from a backup.

What the hell is going on?

Ziddith

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »
I read something about them having set the "copy backup bios" setting a bit too sensitive and that it would be changed later, not 100% sure though. There is a new bios out F6b that I dont know what differs it from F6a and it's still not up on Gigabyte's homepage. Seems to be working really well cause I havent gotten a single cold boot problem after switching to it. But I havent done much of a testing yet, just changed back to my overclocking settings and that didnt cause any problems for me.

You can find it here: http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15952

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:51:18 pm »
Thanks,

I've just installed this.

I've also experienced some more problems recently.

The machine reboots when i try and access XpressBIOS or the F12 boot menu (this still happens with F6b).

Also, on one boot, at the point that it tried to boot from the CD, i just got loads of colours all over the screen and a reboot.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »
The next thing to try is to clear the CMOS.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least ten minutes before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Opimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »
The next thing to try is to clear the CMOS.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least ten minutes before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Opimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self and then press F10 to save and exit.

Hi Mantis,

I've done this multiple times already. Every time i flash the BIOS i totally reset the CMOS using the onboard jumper

I've also replaced the BIOS battery to try and eliminate that.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:00 pm »
Well we could syncronise the BIOSes but I am a little lothe to do that in case the current BIOS is buggy.

I think you have a choice of either waiting for another BIOS update to be released or RMAing the board back to the supplier for a replacement. :-\
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:03:48 am »
Well we could syncronise the BIOSes but I am a little lothe to do that in case the current BIOS is buggy.

I think you have a choice of either waiting for another BIOS update to be released or RMAing the board back to the supplier for a replacement. :-\

Appreciate the advice Mantis, but unfortunately I can't synchronise the BIOSes because when i try and enter XpressRecovery (or whatever the F9 boot option is called), the system just reboots ...

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 04:04:00 am »

DM,

It appears as if there are significant challenges at the moment with Gigabyte's P67A-UD3 motherboard working well with the Sandy Bridge Intel CPU's.  
Have you any suggestions for me?

I thought of several different options:

1. Wait until Gigabyte has a more stable BIOS before attempting to build this system with the new chip and MB
2. Sell the P67A-UD3 and look for a better MB
3. Use the present MB and risk lots of headaches and frustrations
4. Throw all these new components into the rubbish pile and just be happy with my older i5-750 Intel system that still gives me problems!
5. Purchase a case of dark rum and a case of ale and try to escape from all these computer challenges by forgetting I ever owned a computer.
6. Pray that the end of the world will arrive sooner.
7. Go back to AMD and never think about or mention Intel ever, ever again [Absic might throw a big party with free rum  if I choose this option]
8. Trust that the P67A-UD3 will do its job correctly and that everything will be alright.

Ok DM, which option do you suggest?

It's me,

Soar [with the shaking knees after reading about all the heart aches and challenges with the new Sand in the Eyes [Whoops, I meant to say Sandy Bridge chips in the Gigabyte MB's].

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 04:22:49 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:13:35 am »

Appreciate the advice Mantis, but unfortunately I can't synchronise the BIOSes because when i try and enter XpressRecovery (or whatever the F9 boot option is called), the system just reboots ...

You only need to enter the BIOS to check the two versions. To check, go into the BIOS and on the MAIN page press F9 for system info.   You should see both BIOS versions listed, if they do not match please update the backup BIOS to match the current.

To do that, reboot and where you would normally press DEL to enter the BIOS, instead press Alt + F12, this will flash the Backup BIOS with the MAIN BIOS contents.   Do not worry when you see a recovery comment, that is normal and means it is flashing the backup BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:19:09 am »
@soarwitheagles

I wouldn't let it worry you. To be honest there are always scare stories when any new technology comes out but that is half of the fun of being an early adopter. I haven't had a chance to play with this gear yet so I can only go on what I've heard from other people but I am looking forward to a chance to get to grips with it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 11:15:40 am »
At this stage, based on the evidence I've gathered, it's difficult for me to tell whether these problems are caused by:

1: Bugs with the BIOS.
2: Bugs with the board hardware (which presumably would be fixed in a new revision).
3: An issue with this board in particular (which would warrant an RMA).

Thankfully, because the system is usable on a day to day basis (provide I don't do anything to aggravate it such as opening the case, looking at it funny, blowing in its general direction), I will sit it out for a few more BIOS updates. If in a few months this doesn't fix the issue, I will probably RMA the board.

Mantis, if you could please pass this information up the stack towards the BIOS guys I would be extremely grateful, I'd like to hear whether they have encountered this issue and what their take on the problem might be.

Thanks.

Ziddith

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »