Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EP43-DS3L Need help memory setting with OC and info on multiple RAM speeds

Hi all :)

I am currently doing a mid life update of my GA-EP43-DS3L  + Q9450 computer.
As part of this I have been trying to up the CPU clock speed (since warranty is now long expired)
My issue is that the second my RAM goes over its default 800Mhz the computer fails to POST.  I would assume this to be due to budget RAM at this stage.
I have managed to clock the CPU up to 3.2 GHz.  (400FSB x 8 ).  I managed to do this by adjusting a setting to "2D" whcih multiplies D (400Mhz) by 2 = 800Mhz.  This was in the system memory multiplier or memory frequency area of MIT.  (dont have BIOS in front of me atm as im in windows.)

Its great to have this solution so I can at least get to 3.2Ghz but as the Q9450 default voltage is 1.18v and im running fine at 1.13v @ 3.2Ghz,  I think this CPU still has a fair bit of headroom.  Stock speed (2.66Ghz)  is very stable at 0.9875v

I have tried upping Vcore voltage- (highest tried is 1.25V)
                    upping RAM voltage from 1.9 -2.0v

Is there a way to offset the memory frequency against the FSB frequency?

Channel A
Static tRead Value.........................8-10

Saw this while ive been searching around for an answer. Is this the setting I need?  I want to keep the default RAM speed of 800Mhz and only up the CPU speed. Is this the answer im looking for (whole thread below)
  http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28015-cant-overclock-q9450-past-3-32-w-ep43-ds3l.html

My ram is 2x2GB Nanya Technologies PC2-6400 (400Mhz) (DDR2)  Installed in slots 1 and 3 in my mobo.  If this is relevant
Also I would like to get another 2x2GB RAM sticks for this computer as well as better heatsink, fans etc as part of an inexpensive midlife upgrade.
I am liking the kingston hyper x ram which runs at 1066Mhz (ddr2)  Im aware that the motherboard can support the diff memory speeds if installed correctly (yes i did read my manual lol).  However im wondering if I put the 800Mhz RAM in slots 2 & 4 is it going to drag down the speed of the hyper x ram to 800Mhz?  Also how would i compensate for that with an overclock so that both types of RAM run at their correct speed?  (If they will in fact run at different speeds)  Please help me with this one, so  I know whether I can use this ram (1066Mhz) or whether its a waste of money unless i buy 4 sticks.  In this case another 2 sticks of 800Mhz is obviously a cheaper alternative.  But is it possible to get past 400Mhz FSB and keep that RAM @800Mhz?

Very grateful to anyone who can give advise please.  Ive been searching for days but I am having trouble understanding the memory timing settings.  Im hoping theres something under the channel A\B memory settings that will allow OC higher and  keep my existing RAM at 800Mhz in thesecondary slots and clock the new RAM correctly at 1066Mhz in the primary slots.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me. Ive only ever had two RAM sticks in this puta so my apologies for some of the dopey questions lol.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:53:36 am by FragTastic »