Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA890GPA - UD3H -No keyboard in bios and pre-boot menus at cold boot

mrkatt

When i cold boot almost every time the keyboard does not work in bios and pre boot menus. Sometimes it works for a few seconds allowing me to get into bios but when there the keyboard stops responding. I dual boot win7/ubuntu and mostly the keyboard will not work in the qrub os choise menu either when cold booting. Mostly, but not always, everything works fine after i have loaded win7 and then warm boot the computer. I have this problem with both usb and ps2 attached keyboards.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA890GPA - UD3H -No keyboard in bios and pre-boot menus at cold boot
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:21:59 am »
Hi there,

not sure why you are having this problem, especially as you have tried both USB and PS/2 keyboards and encountered the same result.

Were you able to get into BIOS when you first set-up the system and before installing the OS?
Did this start happening only after you installed both Windows 7 and Ubuntu?
What other devices/hardware are you using?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

mrkatt

Re: GA890GPA - UD3H -No keyboard in bios and pre-boot menus at cold boot
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:43:36 am »
I had a few beers to much now to go into more of the details. But i can say that i tried the ps2 keyboard again and now i cant get that one working at all. I also just tried a wired usb-keyboard because i thought it might be something wrong with the wireless keyboard i use, but the wired one didnt work at all. The wireless keyboard i have sometimes dont work at all but mostly it work "partly" and with that i mean for an ex. if i press f12 to  go in to the boot choice menu it might work to get into the menu but then the keyboard stops responding. The same thing often happens when i load the grub menu. But yesterday i discovered that even if the main part of the keyboard + the up,down,left,right keys fails to work the keys in the numeric part works fine so i can use them. But.. I have two 1gb 7200 samsung disks in the pc on the first one i have win7 and ubuntu and on the second one i got a "experimental" pre boot password protected install of xp with truecrypt protection of the system disk and the keyboard often fails when im entering the truecrypt password and last time i tried to boot it i had to reboot the pc 6-8 times before i managed to write the password before the keyboard failed.
It seems i did go into details anyway:)

To answer you questions:
Actually i did not install anything (and was not in bios before installing) and the reason for this is that i used this gigabyte board to replace a same chip set asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3 board i had problems with (stability issues) so what i did was just connecting the drives i had installed on the asus board to this one. To do this with ubuntu is of course not a big thing but to my surprise it worked fine with both windows installations also after uninstalling/installing some drivers.

But should what and how is installed on the drives affect things like the keyboard failing/partly failing when i enter bios or try to use the f12 options?
These problems i had since first installing the board.

The hardware i use in this setup is besides the samsung disks a 1090t cpu and 2x2 1600mhz corsair xms ram a samsung dvd writer, i use the built in gfx. If more detailed data about the hardware could help i will gladly deliver them asap.

This board works fine in every other way but since im so dependent on various ways of dualbooting this thing started to annoy me almost more the the stability issues i had with the asus board.

Im about to take the board out of the casing (antec solo) and run it in "free air" with a minimum of attached hardware to rule out shortcut issues and also use another drive and do a clean windows install, but it will be earliest this weekend i dont have the energy for doing it right now.

No one else has that has or had similar problems?

Thanks for you fast reply!