Official GIGABYTE Forum

I was about to buy a GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0), however.......

I was about to buy a GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0), however.......
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:37:41 pm »
For the past few weeks I have been trying to work out what my new system should be, given my current one goes back to 2004, an upgrade was well needed.
Having gone through various chipsets I'm going for X58 and had about half a dozen board in mind and finally plumped for the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0) for about £150 reviews seem very good for the board plus it gives me a decent number of SATA ports, however after coming here and doing some reading I'm now giving it a second thought.

There seems to be a fair few issues with RAM/PSU where you turn it on and it shuts down then reboots, some suggestions say unplugging from wall etc will sort it but I don't fancy doing that on every cold boot, also booting from WD green drives gives issues as well (which for me should not be a problem as I'll only be using Black drives for booting, sure I will have Green drives but these will just be for storage), I have a 750 Corsair PSU but some have issues with Corsair. :(

There just seem to be a fair few problems with the board, now I know most folks will come here when they have a problem, after all I've never gone a manf forum to say what a great product only when I have problems, am I worrying about nothing, is there a way to make sure I don't get issues like having to unplug from mains all the time, or this turning on and shutting down then rebooting, I know the latter is not major to some of you but to me that seems faulty in some way either bios or motherboard issues, I would imagine it would be a nightmare trying to get a refund in those situations.

Just looking for forums regulars feedback.

All1

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: I was about to buy a GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0), however.......
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:05:10 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

As you have already understood the only people who post on forums are those with problems (or those trying to sort out said problems!)

This motherboard has got to be one of the Gigabyte mainstays recently and is a very fine board. There have been a terrific number of this particular model sold and so some problem ones must be expected. I run the top end version of this board the UD7 and it is a wonderful motherboard.

The problem with the Green drives is the same for any make/model of motherboard as it is the drive that is the problem not the board.

There was a small issue with coil whine at first in a certain number of UD3s but even that has been fixed now, so there is no further worry about that.

I would say go for the UD3 if it has everything that you require and chances are you will have no problem whatsoever. There is also the UD5 if you want a little more from your motherboard.

Hope this helps somewhat.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:06:29 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:50:41 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

There was a small issue with coil whine at first in a certain number of UD3s but even that has been fixed now, so there is no further worry about that.

I would say go for the UD3 if it has everything that you require and chances are you will have no problem whatsoever. There is also the UD5 if you want a little more from your motherboard.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Thanks for the welcome Dark Mantis, "coil Whime" is a new one on me never heard of that before, I'll have to look it up. You say it WAS a problem with early ones, how will i be able to establish where i buy from has given me a newer one so this issue is solved, for example a manf date point.

I am a little worried about this idea of having to unplug from mains to boot from cold sometimes or even having to press the power button ince then some seconds later, after all i'll be spending £500+ and don't fancy having to do that all the damm time, has that issue be solved or is that down to "coil whine" as i say i'll check that out in a minute.

One final point the business of booting from cold and rebooting would this be considered faulty and hence open to exchange or refund by Gigabyte or my online seller (kikatek.com)?

All1

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »
The "coil whine" problem only affected a few boards because it was only when paired with certain other components that it became noticable. It has been fixed by a BIOS update and a hardware fix.

The issue of the boot/reboot scenario can happen to any motherboard  and have had it myself on Asus, MSI as well as Gigabyte boards in the past. I think it is a BIOS problem as that normally cures it.

By the way I forgot to mention that as well as the UD7 motherboard I also run WD Blacks and a Corsair 850HX PSU together.

I think you are a bit premature but I can understand your point when asking about a refund when you haven't even bought the item yet but as with anything purchased in Britain our Consumer Law is all important. If something is sold  and it is not working as it should be then you have grounds for redress. It has to be fit for purpose.

Hope this helps.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:38 pm »
The "coil whine" problem only affected a few boards because it was only when paired with certain other components that it became noticable. It has been fixed by a BIOS update and a hardware fix.
Well that is one thing less to worry about then.

The issue of the boot/reboot scenario can happen to any motherboard  and have had it myself on Asus, MSI as well as Gigabyte boards in the past. I think it is a BIOS problem as that normally cures it.
Hmm never heard of this myself apart from when my PSU went t1ts up a while ago.

I think you are a bit premature but I can understand your point when asking about a refund when you haven't even bought the item yet but as with anything purchased in Britain our Consumer Law is all important. If something is sold  and it is not working as it should be then you have grounds for redress. It has to be fit for purpose.
The reason why i'm being extra careful here is money is tight for me and i don't want to buy a bum product (not saying UD3R is but just can't afford to make mistake) i'm sure you understand.
I'm new here so don't know much about you, do you work for Gigabyte therefore what you say comes with there approval or are you just one of those weird guys who have serious loyalty to an manufacture just like i used to be with Epox?

Sorry but i'm going to ask you outright (presuming you work for them now) if i had the problem of with boot/reboot would GB accept it was faulty and provide replacement or upgrade, and upgrade difference being made up by me, hope you understand what i'm getting at, as i say just can't afford to make a buying mistake.

Hope this helps.
Yes indeed you have put my mind to rest on many things, thanks for your feedback so far.

All1

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:49:42 pm »
No I don't work for Gigabyte, they are still playing hard to get! ;D

I don't consider myself a weird guy either :D and I speak as I find as I am sure there are many here who would tell you. At times I am a pain in Gigabyte's side but only when I feel it is called for. Most of the time they do a good job and we see things the same way. Obviously taking that into account that I am not an employee and therefore cannot speak on the company's behalf, unnofficially I am sure that if you did have a problem like you are suggesting some outcome could be reached to the satisfaction of both parties.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:51:39 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB