Official GIGABYTE Forum

P67A-UD7-B3 and Corsair H70 CPU water cooler

WarYur

P67A-UD7-B3 and Corsair H70 CPU water cooler
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:48:45 am »
Hey, Well I was all ready to throw everything together tonight and got stopped up in a hurry.  I am wondering now if anyone else has had any experience with this motherboard and Corsairs H70 CPU cooler.  I started by installing or trying to install the backplate of the cooler on back of the board and got three of the mounting inserts in and when it came to the fourth one it didn't line up.  Oops...  Well, without forcing it which I could probably have done by stretching it a bit as it is made of plastic I thought I would just go on to the retention ring on the front and began to screw the first screw into one of the mounting inserts when I looked a bit closer and it appeared that the screw across from me on the top wasn't lining up right either.  Ok, so now i got out my old trusty measuring tape and when I measured the space between the holes on the board I got 2 & 15/16th from center to center and that was the same all the way around.  Then I picked up the retention ring and measured from one screw to the other still trying to center it and got 3 & 1/8th inches. Now it says right on the initial Corsair H70 product page; "Socket Support: AMD AM2, AMD AM3, Intel LGA 1155, Intel LGA 1156, Intel LGA 1366, Intel LGA 775".  http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro-series.html (at the bottom but all of the CPU coolers on that page say for the socket 1155 as well).
SO, all that said, has anyone here had this same trouble with the Corsair H70 CPU cooler and if you did was there anything that you could do about it?  I think I already know the answer to this but i needed to check before I send this H70 packing and try and find something that will fit on there in the way of a closed loop water cooler for the CPU.  The only thing I have on hand is a Koolance water block for my socket 775 motherboard but I really wasn't up for spending any more money and wanted to separate my GTX SC 480 graphics cards (2 of them in SLI) from the CPu becasue that was where I was with my socket 775 build where the motherboard was getting too hot with the CPU and those 2 graphics cards on the same loop and when I had the system torn apart I said the heck with it and ordered up the ingredients for the Sandy Bridge build.  I thought to just use the graphics cards I had though but when they are overclocked they run really hot so they really should be on their own loop.  I know that there are other closed loop water cooling systems for the CPU but I have not done any research n them at all and asI said I really didn't want (or need) to spend any more money.  I don't know what else I can do at this point though and have already posted a few times on the Corsair forum which seems to be being ignored by the mods and admins which I can understand if they never actually tried the H70 on this particular Gigabyte board.  I would have called them too but a friend came by to borrow something and I got distracted and when I thought to call again it was after closing hours.  SO, sorry for the book here but again has anyone had any experience with that Corsair H70 CPU cooler and would anyone know of any other closed loop system that might work better?  Thanks!  I was so hoping to have this build done tonight but it just ain't happen'in.

Re: P67A-UD7-B3 and Corsair H70 CPU water cooler
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:31:08 am »
Waryur,

Your H70 should mount no problem whatsoever on your 1155 mobo.  The screws in the ring are all adustable to meet the various dimensions of the various mobo's.

Dark Mantis would be the person to talk to about a simple yet effective closed loop.  Frozen CPU has an excellent choice.

I cannot and will not recommend Corsair's H70.  I had one on my new rig and it began to leak [see photo please].

For the investment you made, perhaps it would be better to invest in a simple closed loop for around $170 [with liquid].  DM can show it to you and he should be here shortly.

If I remember correctly, here is the link:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12222/ex-wat-162/XSPC_Rasa_750_RS360_Universal_CPU_Triple_Radiator_Water_Cooling_Kit-_HOT.html?tl=g30c83s137

Hope this helps!

Soar
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:44:53 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

WarYur

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:26:12 am »
Waryur,

Your H70 should mount no problem whatsoever on your 1155 mobo.  The screws in the ring are all adustable to meet the various dimensions of the various mobo's.

Dark Mantis would be the person to talk to about a simple yet effective closed loop.  Frozen CPU has an excellent choice.

I cannot and will not recommend Corsair's H70.  I had one on my new rig and it began to leak [see photo please].

For the investment you made, perhaps it would be better to invest in a simple closed loop for around $170 [with liquid].  DM can show it to you and he should be here shortly.

If I remember correctly, here is the link:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12222/ex-wat-162/XSPC_Rasa_750_RS360_Universal_CPU_Triple_Radiator_Water_Cooling_Kit-_HOT.html?tl=g30c83s137

Hope this helps!

Soar

Thanks Soar, So this is a three fan rad for just the CPU?  Whoa!  I have the Koolance Exos  (can't remember exactly which version I have but it's

like a year old or so) external 3 fan rad/pump/res assembly that I was running a loop through both graphics cards and the CPU on a socket 775

motherboard with everything overclocked but the board started getting too hot with those GTX 480's in the loop.  You know I just had another look

at the retention ring and it looks like I had the little goodies that the screws go into that goes into the retention ring turned the wrong way.  LOL,

as the kids say, "My bad".  Must be my old age setting in...  I'm not so sure about the screws on the retention ring being adjustable though but the

inserts that go into the backplate are adjustable.  There are three holes per corner to play with but the front retention ring appears to be pretty

static but you do need to have them in the right way.  I do still have a lot to learn about what is best in the way of water cooling parts though so

anything I learn is all good. 

I see what you mean about the H70 though.  I was looking at all the reviews on newegg and there are some scary stories on there about leaking

and all sorts of stuff going wrong with them but there are also a lot of good reviews too.  I think that I should probably take your advice though

and go for something else.  I appreciate your stopping by and I will take anything I can get in the way of learning about water cooling.  My last rig

was also my first attempt at it.  Also sorry about the way I was posting there.  On the Corsair forums I was told to not post this way but I was

doing it this way on the forum before, just forgot.  Anyway thanks for making me take a closer look at what I had going on.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:14:09 am »
WarYur,

No problem at all.  You are most welcome here and I know people like DM and Absic will be able to help you much more than I!

Nearly all the reviews that I read on Corsair's H70 were good...very good...and that is why I purchased it.  It is possible I received a broken or faulty unit.  For me, I'd rather not risk damaging my components should another unit leak on me, so I decided against it.

I did notice some of the newer reviews at Frozen CPU give the RASA 750 some really poor comments!!!  Sorry, I did not see that one month ago.

To be 100% honest with you, I know nearly nothing about water cooling compared to DM and others out here.  So please do not take my advice as written in unalterable stone!  ::)

Yes, you are right, it is the back plate screws that are adjustable according to 3 slots, and not the ring...my bad too.

WarYur, I know you will be able to work this out and find the best solution that fits your unique needs.

Please let us know how it all turned out after finding a solution that is best for you!

Hey Dark Mantis....Helpppppppp! ;D

Thanks,

Soar
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:16:20 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:16:41 am »
Hi and welcome,

I see that Soar has been helping you out already. Personally I wouldnn't buy the Corsair H70 as I prefer to make up my own system customised to how I want it. I don't feel that the H70 is dangerous as with a bit of forethought and a few cable ties or clamps the possibility of leakage is removed. But it is your choice.

The thing is there is always the play off between what is optimum for your system and how much you have to spend on it. I like to take the longer term approach and try to purchase components that will be ok for now and the future if I decide to upgrade. The ready made kit that Soar linked to for you is a very good design for someone with an aim to cool one CPU and one GPU.  However I feel that it really could do with a larger radiator if you are planning to run two GPUs overclocked as well as the CPU. Of course you could always add another rad to it later if it is necessary. Apart from that it sems a well thought out and priced kit.

As I mentioned before it all boils down to your budget really.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:06 am »
I have just gone through the reviews on another site I post on xtremesystems and found a review of the same kit as previously posted apart from it only incorporates a dual 120mm radiator. In someways this would be better for you as you could then get a second 240 rad which would be plenty for your total cooling requirements.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268422

Hope that you find this helpful.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:48:42 am »
I have just gone through the reviews on another site I post on xtremesystems and found a review of the same kit as previously posted apart from it only incorporates a dual 120mm radiator. In someways this would be better for you as you could then get a second 240 rad which would be plenty for your total cooling requirements.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268422

Hope that you find this helpful.

Very!  Helpful that is...  I do have the H70 in hand though and now that I have finally got my head together with it and actually read the directions   ::)

I guess I'll have to go with it until such time that it proves to not work as well as I want it to then it will probably go the eBay way.   I've had quite

a time since first starting to water cool back in 2008 but it's a long story and it's late over here.  Or should I say early?  LOL...  The end of the

story is that the Striker II Extreme I was using was overheating because of the 2 overclocked GTX 480's mainly but I had a Bitspower after

market NB/SB water block on the board since the water block that came stock on the board began deteriorating and screwed a lot of water

cooling equipment up in the process.  I had ordered the H70 for that rig for an Intel QX9650 so that I wouldn't have so much running on the same

loop.  While I was tearing things down and after I had already ordered the H70 I decided since the Sandy Bridge motherboards were coming back

out finally I said the heck with it and bought what I would need for the socket 1155 set up and here I am.  I have an older Lian Li Full Tower

that I will be putting some of the older parts in with that Asus board and two 9800GTX SSC's in SLI for a side system but at the moment there is

no hurry because I went nuts over Christmas and awarded myself a sweet little gaming laptop.  That's what I am on right now and it is a Toshiba

Qosmio X505-896 which is fairly decent for playing games on but I am far more interested in getting the socket 1155 set up going and trying to

overclock the daylights out of that 2600k.   That is yet another thing that I am still learning about but hey, you really can teach an old dog new

tricks.   ;D   I do also have a Koolance Exos 2.5 external 3 fan rad/res/pump assembly all in one now but even that wasn't working like Koolance

said it would and cooling everything I had in one loop and as I said earlier that is why I had already ordered the H70.   LOL, I know you guys

really didn't need to know all that but I guess all that to say that I didn't especially order the H70 for this build and since I have it I might as

well try it out for a while.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »
Yes I would agree. Run the H70 for now seeing as you already have it, just make sure you add a couple of cable ties or clamps around the hose ends to make sure they stay secure.

You mentioned your old water cooling setup going t1ts up. Were the supplied cooling blocks on the board made of aluminium or something other than copper ? Because if that was the case then I am not surprised that you had problems as galvanic corrosion would have taken place and destroyed the less noble metal. make sure thta you give the other cooling blocks and rads a good flush out. I usually use vinegar and then a final rinse with distilled water.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:09:05 am »
Yes I would agree. Run the H70 for now seeing as you already have it, just make sure you add a couple of cable ties or clamps around the hose ends to make sure they stay secure.

You mentioned your old water cooling setup going t1ts up. Were the supplied cooling blocks on the board made of aluminium or something other than copper ? Because if that was the case then I am not surprised that you had problems as galvanic corrosion would have taken place and destroyed the less noble metal. make sure thta you give the other cooling blocks and rads a good flush out. I usually use vinegar and then a final rinse with distilled water.

Yes, I believe they must have been.  It was some of Koolances earlier offerings.  ATM I can't remember what the water block that came with the motherboard was made of but that is what started it all.  So vinegar huh, I should have thought of that I guess.  Thanks though becasue I probably should clean out the Koolance Exos 2.5 external that I have here. In the future though I am going to get the parts either separately or in something such as you guys have mentioned here.  That is a lot of stuff for the money especially given what i have had to shell out of all the Koolance fittings and the like.  It seems like I have been on the Koolance testing team for too long.  What I mean by that is that I have had some of my other components that are irreplaceable now get ruined because they weren't using the right "O" rings in their L shaped swivel nozzles.  So, what is the general consensus on coolant hose to use?  I have been using Feser hose and then it is 1/2 inch OD and 3/8th ID which with a big case like the Corsair 800D is a little smallish looking but that is what I have on hand along with all the quick disconnects and nozzles and the like.  Anyway, thanks for the input, I need all the help I can get!

TimmyT

• Speed Junky
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 05:49:19 am »
I have the H70 on the same MB. The plastic back mounting bracket needs to be tilted slightly for the holes to line up. There are three holes in each corner of the bracket. None lined up if I kept the bracket aligned with the MB. I had to rotate it about 3° to make all 4 holes line up.

I was also worried about the clearance of the block to the row of electronics between the MOSFET and the 1155 socket, but it seems to mount just fine (can't see light though).

One thing to make sure of is that the block is lower than the radiator. I'm a bit confused as to which way the radiator hoses should be orianted though. I have mine at the bottom, but I've seen pictures of them at the top?

You can also do better than the stock fans from Corsair.
New to the forum. Old to PC's

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:00 am »
So, what is the general consensus on coolant hose to use?  I have been using Feser hose and then it is 1/2 inch OD and 3/8th ID which with a big case like the Corsair 800D is a little smallish looking but that is what I have on hand along with all the quick disconnects and nozzles and the like.

Then the ideal size of hose for you is the 10mm ID 16mm OD. This is a bit more meaty and looks larger with a bettter bend radius because of the thicker walls but still fits the 10mm barbs. Manufacturer wise the best if you want clear or black is Tygon 3603, if you want coloured use Thermochill.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:50 am »
I have the H70 on the same MB. The plastic back mounting bracket needs to be tilted slightly for the holes to line up. There are three holes in each corner of the bracket. None lined up if I kept the bracket aligned with the MB. I had to rotate it about 3° to make all 4 holes line up.

I was also worried about the clearance of the block to the row of electronics between the MOSFET and the 1155 socket, but it seems to mount just fine (can't see light though).

One thing to make sure of is that the block is lower than the radiator. I'm a bit confused as to which way the radiator hoses should be orianted though. I have mine at the bottom, but I've seen pictures of them at the top?

You can also do better than the stock fans from Corsair.

Hey thanks man.  That backplate was driving me nuts.  I finally have it though and yes, I am not at all sure which way those hoses should be

oriented for optimal cooling but I wouldn't think that it matters.  I did figure out that the block needed to be lower than the rad though.  All a

matter of physics, yes?   I was thinking about those fans.  What brand of fans did you decide on?   I should ask that question of everyone here too

though.  It seems any time I have asked that that everyone has a different choice.   I guess if I am going to do it the right way and for the best

looks which truthfully hasn't really been my main goal in building a computer but I want this one to look really cool when I am done too.  There is

just no way around it.  I am going to have to order some more parts.  Especially after reading what Dark Mantis said below there.  I had thought of

the larger tubing like he has mentioned but was just going to use what i had on hand but now I see the error of my ways.  LOL...  Anyway, thanks

again for your input!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:54:05 am »
You are very welcome.

As for fans it depends on your priorities. If you want low noise then the Scythe Gentle Typhoons are the ones to go for  but they don't make illuminated versions. I would say either Phobya or Ximatek for LED fans and still efficient but quiet.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:26 am »
So, what is the general consensus on coolant hose to use?  I have been using Feser hose and then it is 1/2 inch OD and 3/8th ID which with a big case like the Corsair 800D is a little smallish looking but that is what I have on hand along with all the quick disconnects and nozzles and the like.

Then the ideal size of hose for you is the 10mm ID 16mm OD. This is a bit more meaty and looks larger with a bettter bend radius because of the thicker walls but still fits the 10mm barbs. Manufacturer wise the best if you want clear or black is Tygon 3603, if you want coloured use Thermochill.

Thanks!  LOL, I'll have to break out my iPhone to see what that works out to be in inches though.   I think I missed that class...  The tubing I have was clear but was UV reactive and then I was using Feser UV reactive Blue which would probably look fairly good in this case but then I have also like a blood red too.  I tried to get that effect using some UV reactive red one time and it turned out more like pink.  YUCK!   I don't think I would go black with this though not that it might not look good but I want a contrast of some sort.  I have some ultraviolet lights to put in if I go that way.  So do you all usually just use distilled water with an additive for killing off growing things or do you use already made up coolant.  I might as well learn the right way to do things now.  The reason I got started with Koolance was not only becasue it was reasonably close by but a friend of mine got e started that way but so far he has been wrong in a lot of the stuff he told me.  Is there anything else I should consider?

WarYur

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 09:23:15 am »
You are very welcome.

As for fans it depends on your priorities. If you want low noise then the Scythe Gentle Typhoons are the ones to go for  but they don't make illuminated versions. I would say either Phobya or Ximatek for LED fans and still efficient but quiet.

Alright, I will go and take a look at them right now on the frozen CPU site to see if they have any of those.  I doubt if newegg carries anything like that but I guess I could look there as well.  Anyone else have a favorite for fans?  Thanks again.  I might as well learn this the right way now...