Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD7-B3 - Beep code/error

RedXIII

GA-P67A-UD7-B3 - Beep code/error
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:45:20 am »
Hello,

I just put together a new system and I'm receiving a beep code. The code is 1 long beep, and 2 short beeps, which the documentation indicates is a GPU/Monitor initialization error. The system runs for about 5 seconds, beeps, runs for another 10 secs and restarts.

I've tried;
  • Only trying 1 card at a time
  • Switching PCI-E slots
  • Tried different power cords
  • Installed my old Geforce 8800GT -> Still beeped
  • Removed and swapped RAM modules
  • Reset CMOS via button
  • Tried to initialize the Dual/Backup BIOS system.

Does anybody have any suggests before I go ahead and commit to a terrible motherboard RMA?

Thanks

GA-P67A-UD7-B3
Intel 2600K (Water cooled)
Geforce 560Ti SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 @ CL9-9-9-24 (2x4gb)
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W SLI CrossFire 80+GOLD
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:47:40 am by RedXIII »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-P67A-UD7-B3 - Beep code/error
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:08:50 am »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

The most obvious answer would be a power problem. Are you sure you have securely attached the power leads to the GPU, all of them ?

Have you inserted the power cable near the CPU, 8 pin ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

RedXIII

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:17:21 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

The most obvious answer would be a power problem. Are you sure you have securely attached the power leads to the GPU, all of them ?

Have you inserted the power cable near the CPU, 8 pin ?
Yup, I connected the two 6-pin PCI power connectors. I also tried 4 different cables.

Yes, the 8 pin ATX 12V is also plugged in.

Thanks

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »
Is the Geforce 560 only two x 6 pin sockets ? I thought most of them were 1x8 and 1x6.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

nijel

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:04:15 pm »
Check the CPU socket for bended pins.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:45:12 pm »
Yes it is a possibility that you have bent pins but I think it's unlikely.

I think the best thing is to try removing the motherboard from the case.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and now I know you haven't got any graphics but try and boot. The system should try and then fail emitting a series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

RedXIII

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 05:57:39 am »
Is the Geforce 560 only two x 6 pin sockets ? I thought most of them were 1x8 and 1x6.
Yup, I confirmed both visually and on the Nvidia web page that it is indeed 2x6 pin.

Yes it is a possibility that you have bent pins but I think it's unlikely.

I think the best thing is to try removing the motherboard from the case.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and now I know you haven't got any graphics but try and boot. The system should try and then fail emitting a series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.

I tried the above. The system makes the same beep error regardless of whether a video card is plugged in or not.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 11:25:48 am »
Can you try a different graphics card just to eliminate that as the cause of the problem ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

RedXIII

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:35:35 pm »
Can you try a different graphics card just to eliminate that as the cause of the problem ?
I've tried both of the 560s and my old 8800GT, which I am currently using on this PC.

nijel

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »
Did you check the CPU socket?
I had the similar problem with P67 Asrock board video card not detected and had 2 pins not making contact. Fixing the pins fixed the problem. You know video card has direct connection with the CPU, don't you...

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 10:47:53 pm »
Yes always a possibility. The pins are so fine that it doesn't take anything at all to bend them.

Take all the usual anti-static precautions.

Very carefully remove the heatsink and fan. Probably a slight twisting motion is best to release the two as the thermal paste can act like a glue.

Once off remove the CPU taking extreme care both physically and electrically(static) and place somewhere safe.
Make sure that the lighting is very good and even.

Now scrutinise the socket for any pins that are out of alignment, even slightly.
If in any doubt whatsoever take a couple of macro (close up) photos of the socket and post them on here for us to check.

Also look at the bottom of the CPU at the lands (little copper circles) and make sure that there is a mark in each somewhere near the centre.
If there are any missing marks or any of the pins are obviously bent then that is your problem.

Before refitting the CPU clean off all residue of the old thermal paste and the same on the heatsink and then apply a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) to the centre of the CPU once it is inserted in the socket.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

RedXIII

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 12:56:01 am »
Yes always a possibility. The pins are so fine that it doesn't take anything at all to bend them.

Take all the usual anti-static precautions.

Very carefully remove the heatsink and fan. Probably a slight twisting motion is best to release the two as the thermal paste can act like a glue.

Once off remove the CPU taking extreme care both physically and electrically(static) and place somewhere safe.
Make sure that the lighting is very good and even.

Now scrutinise the socket for any pins that are out of alignment, even slightly.
If in any doubt whatsoever take a couple of macro (close up) photos of the socket and post them on here for us to check.

Also look at the bottom of the CPU at the lands (little copper circles) and make sure that there is a mark in each somewhere near the centre.
If there are any missing marks or any of the pins are obviously bent then that is your problem.

Before refitting the CPU clean off all residue of the old thermal paste and the same on the heatsink and then apply a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) to the centre of the CPU once it is inserted in the socket.

It looks fine from what I can tell. I didn't bother putting the heat sink back on. I'm assuming it should at least post or give a different error if it is needed.

Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/RedXIIIx/PC?authkey=Gv1sRgCMX8uL6U7pyl-QE&feat=directlink (may still be uploading - should be 15 pics)
Video: http://imageshack.us/f/838/k12.mp4/
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/838/k12.mp4/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:56:32 am by RedXIII »

RedXIII

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:23:24 am »
Here are some POST codes. It seems to beep when it hits 2b, corresponding with the beep error.

25h Early PCI initialization:
- Enumerate PCI bus number
- Assign memory & I/O resource
- Search for a valid VGA device & VGA BIOS, and put it into C000:0

26h
1. If Early_Init_Onboard_Generator is not defined Onboard clock generator initializa- tion. Disable respective clock resource to empty PCI & DIMM slots
2. Init onboard PWM
3. Init onboard H/W monitor devices

27h
Initialize INT 09 buffer

29h
1. Program CPU internal MTRR for 0-640K memory address
2. Initialize the APIC for Pentium class CPU
3. Program early chipset according to CMOS setup Example: onboard IDE controller
4. Measure CPU speed

2Bh
Invoke video BIOS

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 08:11:21 am »
You never mentioned if you did this or not, so just checking, did you try booting the board on a box yet (Not on the motherboard tray on a box)?

Here is some more info/notes I have on 2b, it is video card for sure as I've had this one myself when testing dead cards.

2b
When the system powers on and the Debug LED shows the usual POST code sequence but hangs on 2b or you get a beep code as soon as the sequence reaches 2b, then the Mainboard cant detect your Videocard properly. Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 00 or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS. Since the Videocard couldnt be detected properly you will only see a black Monitor and either 2b, FF, 00 or 7F. Check if there is something wrong with the Videocard, the PCIE slot or BUS, the Monitor or monitor cable. Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two. If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults. If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly. Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.

RedXIII

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:49 am »
You never mentioned if you did this or not, so just checking, did you try booting the board on a box yet (Not on the motherboard tray on a box)?
Yes, I put the motherboard on my wooden desk. That should rule out a possible short.

Here is some more info/notes I have on 2b, it is video card for sure as I've had this one myself when testing dead cards.

2b
When the system powers on and the Debug LED shows the usual POST code sequence but hangs on 2b or you get a beep code as soon as the sequence reaches 2b, then the Mainboard cant detect your Videocard properly. Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 00 or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS. Since the Videocard couldnt be detected properly you will only see a black Monitor and either 2b, FF, 00 or 7F. Check if there is something wrong with the Videocard, the PCIE slot or BUS, the Monitor or monitor cable. Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two. If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults. If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly. Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.

Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 00 or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS.
2b beep -> FF hang
or
2b beep -> F7 -> reboot -> 2b beep -> FF

Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two.
Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.
I have tried both DVI ports. The monitor works fine.

If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults.
I don't suppose I can even do this?

If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly.
I tried the first part. Trying the cards in another system should not be needed because all three of the cards I tested failed in this system, and I know that at least the one card works.

The problem could be any of the below items, correct?
Motherboard
CPU
PSU
Video Card (probably ruled this out via testing my old card)

Does the motherboard seem most likely thus far?