Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bios freeze and restart with 8gb ram

Bios freeze and restart with 8gb ram
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:12:44 pm »
Hi! I have a GA-EG41MF-US2H Motherboard and 2 x CM2X048-6400C4DHX (total of 4 ram).

When i put 2 of ram in slot for double channel 1-3 the system star, but when i put all the 4 ram the bios freeze and restar. I try to set the timing memory in bios 4-4-4-12  voltage at 2.10V and 800mhz frequency but it not works.

This is the motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=3090&ProductName=GA-EG41MF-US2H

This is the memory : http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX.pdf

Help me, please :D and sorry for my english

Re: Bios freeze and restart with 8gb ram
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:40:38 pm »
Hi there,

I was wondering if you solved this issue.
I have the same scenario.
I have 4 x 2GB Crucial Memory CT25664AA800.
I can boot with 2 x 2 GB in ports 1+3 or 2+4 and all is well BUT as soon as I insert all 4 DIMMS I have the same BIOS freeze as Spike is describing.
I have tried raising RAM voltage and MCH to no avail.
I have also re-applied the BIOS and still the issues persists.
I am wondering if a new BIOS release is on the way...

If anyone is running 8GB on this board I would love to no the brand of the RAM and the Motherboard settings.
I really need to get this working for a lab I am building.

Many thanks

Mooky

Re: Bios freeze and restart with 8gb ram
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:07 pm »
As a pointer to anyone else who has this issue.
The problem is this particular motherboard only supports all 4 DIMM slots being populated if they are single sided DIMMs.

If you wantg 8GB of RAM in this board you will have to purchase 2 x 4GB double sided DIMMs and put them in slots 1+3.

Not an option for me as the cost of 4GB DIMMs is crazy. I have RMA'ed board to vendor and have ordered another Gigabyte board that is capable of supporting 4 x 2GB Double sided DIMMs : I went for the GA-EP43-UD3L Intel P43 board which supports upto 16GB , fingers crossed!

Hope this helps someone.