Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD7 BSOD with bios FB, FC

GA-X58A-UD7 BSOD with bios FB, FC
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »
Hello, I have GA-X58A-UD7 Rev2, Windows 7 64bit and when it had the bios FA, not recognized the 6GB of memory (it showed only 4GB).

When I upgraded the bios to FB (or FC), the memory showed correctly (6GB), but I have often random blue screens. I read that is a common problem, but I didn't find yet a solution. My memory (OCZ XTC Platinum OCZ3P1333LV2G DDR3 SDRAM) is tested and is ok.

I tested the bios various times. Only with version FA my system is stable (never blue screen). But I would like to see the correct size of my memory.
I noticed that if I make a shutdown (not restart), wait 5 sec and power on again, the memory returns to 6GB (bios FA).

Is there any solution, or I must remain to version FA forever?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD7 BSOD with bios FB, FC
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »
Hi

Even though it would seem to be a BIOS issue it might be worth checking your CPU socket for bent pins.

Take all the usual anti-static precautions.

Very carefully remove the heatsink and fan. Probably a slight twisting motion is best to release the two as the thermal paste can act like a glue.

Once off remove the CPU taking extreme care both physically and electrically(static) and place somewhere safe.

Make sure that the lighting is very good and even.

Now scrutinise the socket for any pins that are out of alignment, even slightly.
If in any doubt whatsoever take a couple of macro (close up) photos of the socket and post them on here for us to check.

Also look at the bottom of the CPU at the lands (little copper circles) and make sure that there is a mark in each somewhere near the centre.
If there are any missing marks or any of the pins are obviously bent then that is your problem.

Before refitting the CPU clean off all residue of the old thermal paste and the same on the heatsink and then apply a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) to the centre of the CPU once it is inserted in the socket.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 BSOD with bios FB, FC
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »
Thank you for your prompt answer.

Recently I changed the case of my pc. This means that I made the cpu installation twice (during this procedure I cleaned the cpu, ecc).
The problem with the blue screens existed before and after...
It will be very hard remaking the operation except in case we are sure that there is located the problem.

What about the exceptional stability of the system with the bios version FA?