Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 issues (need quick answers)

Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 issues (need quick answers)
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 03:52:56 pm »
Super PI is not an effective load test Abisc, it only uses 1 thread.

IBT, or Lin-Pac (LinX), Prime 95. Those would be good tests as they utilize the CPU and RAM

i agree....

seens like gigabyte doesn't know how to test in the right way

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2011, 03:53:30 pm »
I agree about Super PI but that is what Gigabyte seem to be using.

I did a really short test using Heavyload and monitored the Voltage using EasyTune6 and it did seem better than the previous BIOS versions. Unfortunately, I am not really in a position to do too much testing as I am still having other problems (namely getting my GPU to be recognised) and am having to run with an old 3450 that I have.

I have updated my Tech request with the latest information I have and would recommend that you all do the same (if you have raised a support ticket with GGTS) so they are aware of your own findings. You may wish to link them back to this thread so they can see what we are trying and also the results we are having.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:21:57 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 04:22:15 pm »
I have updated my Tech request with the latest information I have and would recommend that you all do the same (if you have raised a support ticket with GGTS) so they are aware of your own findings. You may wish to link them back to this thread so they can see what we are trying and also the results we are having.

i've updated mine.. but not had any reply since i contacted them on 24th

also i've found another issue about the ram voltage, if i set it to 1750v it goes to 1.724v~

tbh i'm getting so board with this motherboard.

Lordred

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2011, 04:57:09 pm »
The F5B is much improved, this I can live with, and can only hope it gets even better. I went a step further and showed the exact settings in Bios, as well as the Bios's PC Health section to see what it reports as well.

For consistency AMD Turbo Core, Cool & Quiet, and C1E are disabled.

STOCK (no OC, no tweeks, no nothing, just power saving features off)

Windows Idle 1.312v (37/100ths Rise)

Windows Load 1.232v (43/100ths Drop

OVERCLOCK CPU 4000mhz, HT 2500mhz, NB 2750, DRAM 1666 8-8-8-24-34-1T

Windows Idle 1.488v (13/100ths Rise)

Windows Load 1.392 (83/100ths Drop)   Which is a step in the right direction from 100/100ths drop

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:40 pm »
As you say a step in the right direction and I think it shows that it is the BIOS,  as I suspected and not the hardware. Hopefully, when they release a full update, things will be even better and we can put all these teething problems behind us.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »
As you say a step in the right direction and I think it shows that it is the BIOS,  as I suspected and not the hardware. Hopefully, when they release a full update, things will be even better and we can put all these teething problems behind us.

i admin it is slightly better but still far from being right... if gigabyte is claming its fixed with this bios it would mean they won't be doing anymore to the voltage.

Lordred

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2011, 08:10:48 pm »
Gigabyte US tech support doesnt even know about the F5a or F5b bios.. lol

I was on the phone with them earlier.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 08:36:27 pm »
I feel that 2 BIOS revisions in 3 working days show that Gigabyte are working hard to resolve these issues. I doubt if any other motherboard manufacturer would be so willing to do this.

As I have stated all along, the only way Gigabyte really knows there is an issue is by clear and accurate feedback by users. No company in the world can be expected to test every conceivable configuration of PC components and I assume they have a standard set-up that they build and test to and this would not necessarily include overclocking a system. For the vast majority of users, the default settings are all they want and they want reliability which, in most cases, Gigabyte motherboards provide.

Yes, it is very annoying and frustrating for those of us who have spent a lot of hard earned cash, on new tech, when we encounter issues and we resent having to be the ones to help iron out the glitches. I still resent the fact that I spent so long beta testing Windows 7 when Microsoft first released it under the guise of Vista. But sadly, this is a fact of life, whether we like it or not. We are the pathfinders and without us nothing would ever progress.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2011, 09:25:58 pm »
Yes absic I would totally agree with that. We have the option of course of waiting untill all the issues have been ironed out and the BIOSes all running smoothly and maybe even a cheaper price before we jump in  and buy our bit of technology but by then all the fun has gone out of it and it is mainstream and everyone has it. Where is the fun in that ? ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:26:30 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2011, 11:18:03 pm »
i've done some more testing with the f5b

if i set the vcore to 1.475v in M.I.B, but in pc health its really 1.520v cos it adds 0.044v~, under load with Prime it drops to between 1.455-1.440v so thats a 0.030v~ drop from 1.475v but really it's a 0.75v~ drop from the true voltage reading of 1.520v

if i set the vcore to 1.450v in M.I.B, but in pc health its  really 1.488v cos it adds 0.038v, under load with Prime it drops to-1.408v so thats a 0.042v~ drop from 1.450v but really it's a 0.80v drop from the true voltage reading of 1.488v

has it is now theres no way of getting to 1.425v or even close to it without having very high idle voltage, also from them 2 tests it seems the amount of vcore drop/adds is different with each vcore setting
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:19:17 pm by gareth170 »

zuban

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:43 am »
i havent noticed any difference with the latest bios. i'm just trying to get my money back on this board now, if they fix it before i get that far then great otherwise oh well.

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:11 am »
Not sure if I need a new thread for this, but I am having very similar issues with a 990xa-ud3 I have have recently bought. At first I thought the xms3 I had bought alongside it was faulty, however ive now tested this extensively, 1 stick at a time, every slot etc with memtest+. System was more unstable with my ati4870 in, now ive just got my old 1950xt in its more stable until i stress it with games or orthos when it resets/bluescreens. Using a Corsair 650watt psu thats been fine in my last build for a year. Temps are all fine. Vcore is dropping.

Is there a beta bios for this board I can try as a last option as Im close to returning?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2011, 11:58:24 am »
@arithdcael
probably best to post here as it all seems relevant. I have asked Gigabyte UK about a BIOS update for your board and will let you know as soon as I get a reply.

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »
OK just had this information sent to me by Gigabyte UK.

Since this CPU AMD 1090T X6 supports CPb function (AMD turbo core boost) when all cores run at full loading it does not reach the designated assigned Voltage Pb0. (due to CPb features). (note from absic: Although this refers to the 1090T the same applies across all the multicore CPU's.)

Using Super PI testing one core full loading test software and it can reach the designated Vcore Pb0.

We have tested Asus M5A99X EVO and this has the same outcome under full loading.

To understand what is actually happening with AMD Turbo core you might like to look at this article: http://tech.icrontic.com/news/amds-dynamic-overclocking-turbo-core/

You learn something new everyday.  :)

Lordred

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2011, 06:40:05 pm »
absic, I want to thank you for being as helpfull as you have been. But I think I have decided to return the motherboard for now rather then go though its growing pains. It performs no better then my M4N98TD EVO other then that it has slightly less Vdroop. It is a very fine board other then that. But I've always picked boards that seam to have growing pains. This time I wish to avoid that.

So I thank you for your time and effort in helping us and hearing us out. When I called Gigabyte US, they were very helpfull as well, albit a little confused about what I was talking about. (They All had very strong accents it was difficult for me to understand them at times)

On a side note, the M5A99X EVO is only a 6+2 Phase board, the board that would be best to line up with the UD5 would be the 990FX Sabertooth, which is also a 8+2 board like the UD5

Dunno, I'm just sort of underimpressed. I like the board so far But something inside makes me feel unsatisfied
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:46:20 pm by Lordred »