Official GIGABYTE Forum

x58a_ud3r bios update problem

x58a_ud3r bios update problem
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
Hi All

I am a complete noob as i have never built from scratch before. After doing a massive amount of research I chose the GA-x58a-UD3R. I built in April and everything has worked flawlessly.

I wanted to update the BIOS from FE to FF. I downloaded the FF file to a 2gb flash drive formated to MS-DOS FAT. Went to theBIOS and selected Q_Flash. When I choose Update the flash drive is recognized but says "0 files" available. So I tried an 8gb flash drive but ended up with the same results.

At this point I am stuck and need some assistance.

Thanks for you help.

Tom

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: x58a_ud3r bios update problem
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »
Hi there,

when you downloaded the BIOS update did you remember to extract them first or did you just copy the 7Zip file onto the pendrive?

Have a check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html as this might help
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:11:49 pm »
Hey

Thanks for your quick response. I checked the link and followed the steps but it still had the same results(see attachment).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:18:55 pm »
OK,

sorry if this seems silly but.....

When you extracted the files from the download did you copy all 3 files onto the root menu of the USB drive? This means did you just copy the 3 files across to the pendrive or did you copy them across in a folder?

When you see the screen that you have attached an image of are you pressing the "Enter" key on the keyboard? You may need to press the "Enter" key a couple of times to locate the update file.

Did you format the Pendrive on a MAC or PC? Believe it or not, this can make a difference. If you formatted the drive on a MAC try reformatting on a PC to see if that makes a difference.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:10:26 pm »

Some people like to have something tangible to work with!

One good method is to download the BIOS file for your board, being carful about even the version number........extract to your desktop........then you will see 3 file......only one (eg X58AUD3R.FG) needs to be put (drag and drop even) onto the blank pen-drive..........this method is foolproof

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Karlston

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:26:39 am »
I agree with Aussie Allan in using an empty (apart from the BIOS file of course) flash drive, have had problems when I used a drive with a few folders and other files on it. (BTW AA, that was with a different box and GB mobo unrelated to the 'pesky extra restart' problem I had)

The BIOS files aren't huge, so a cheap little 1GB to 4GB drive formatted FAT32 and used only for BIOS updates is good advice, IMO.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:44:56 am »
Hi All

Sorry for the delay(day job).

All of your input was very helpful especially the "hit the enter key twice" along with the excellent explanation for which unzipped files to use.

All done and working correctly and I am a happy camper. I also would like to say that I think it is awesome that you assistance came from countries other than the United States. I will be using this forum again.

Tom 

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:56:35 am »
Hi All

Sorry for the delay(day job).

All of your input was very helpful especially the "hit the enter key twice" along with the excellent explanation for which unzipped files to use.

All done and working correctly and I am a happy camper. I also would like to say that I think it is awesome that you assistance came from countries other than the United States. I will be using this forum again.

Tom 
   Yes , even my English mothers-in-law was amazed that we have tar sealed road and convict baby-sitters are band ;)

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:59 am »
Hi there,

pleased you got this sorted and sometimes we, old hands, forget how strange some of these processes can be.  :D