Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA X58A UD3R REV.2 BISO ver. FF, ICH SATA Control Mode issues

Univac

Hello there.
 I'm really tired of this MOBO and the Gigabye's "support", I had this unit for ~ 7-8 months and I can defiantly consider this "buy" as the worst spent money in my entire life.
 Here is ONE of the MANY ISSUES that GIGABYTE FAILED to fix.

In the BIOS there is an option called "ICH SATA Control Mode" it has 3 options, the IDE, RAID (XHD) and the AHCI one. The OS I'm willing to use requires an AHCI mode to be present in order to install itself and work.

The $h!ty mobo keep throwing this ugly crap on POST:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/b77NrMyJ_784Gugepgvqew?feat=directlink
  This is the POST screen when AHCI mode is set in the ICH SATA CONTROL MODE section of the BIOS. While in this mode, there is no way to enter BIOS and change the ICH SATA CONTROL MODE back to IDE, the only way to gain control back of the BIOS is to press the CMOS_RST button on the back of the mobo.
 Also while in this "23" state, the mobo has alot of its LEDs on they look like this:
 https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xCFDLprYWJVMs65f36VwsA?feat=directlink
 https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d6s56cJhEPCYd7ZHGsZBrQ?feat=directlink
 Please, note that there is no OC-ing at all.
 It used to work in AHCI mode, but since 2 days I had this BIOS fault that came from nowhere - as I powered up my machine and passed the standard POST I saw a special warning telling me that the BIOS has encountered a failure and now I had to choose what to do - I was given few options - last known good configuration and 2 more options.

Also I'd like to share with you the EXTREMELY ANNOYING fail to boot properly issue that this GIGABYTE's mobo has.
 Let say that you had the system turned off /by yourself, in case it did not turn off by itself - yea that a part of the Gigabyte's 333 features/ 
 then you want to turn it on, so you press the Power button.
 what you got is: a fans start to work, for a second or two, then you see the MOBO's logo, then a sound is EVENTUALLY created making a short BEEP, then the system turns of all by itself, IT STAYS HALTED for 2-4 SECONDs. Then it starts again as if you do just turn it on. Then it skips the GIGABYTE's LOGO and heads of to the POST or sometimes even skips the POST.  :o
 Some times this power off state during the BOOT is looped few times.
 Some times as the system works it turn of itself just like that - you leave the system up and running unattended for few hours and then when you come back you find it powered off. This happens under win 7 64bit and under Linux. And no there were no power crashes by the mains. It is just the mobo that is unable to manage the tasks that it was created to handle.
 This is NOT A NORMAL behavior of a MOBO by any means. If you do not want to experience this, then please consider another manufacture. As far as this one, google for the x58a ud3r and you will find out how many issues there are with this mobo and other GB's mobos. I defiantly think that this sort of "products" shell not pass the EU borders by any means!
 Owww! Did I mention that this issues is not a new one it was here since the very begging and gigabyte is doing nothing to fix it. I DO REALLY SORRY THAT I HAVE SPENT MY MONEY on this particular brand, oh and one more thing - if you say that this an exception or a unit's particular defect, then let me tell you that there are service protocols on my behalf that state that this is a normal behavior so @#%@#$^Y# and the horse that rode that crap in Europe. The protocols were issues by one of the officially authorized resellers and authorized service providers in Bulgaria - and to be more specific there is this Vali Computers OOD, Bulgaria, that stated that this is normal behavior and that I shell not consider it as defect.

Here is my spec.
 MOBO GA X58A UD3R REV.2 BISO ver. FF
 CPU Intel i7 930
 GPU GV-N460SE-1GI /another mistake/  :-X
 RAM Adata ddr3 1600G 3x2Gb @ 1066Mhz
 PSU Everest 85Plus 700W
 HDDs Hitachi 500Gb /SATA/, 2x Fujitsu 80Gb SATA @5400, 1x Barracuda IDE,
 Optical devices: LG DVD-RAM. SATA interface.
 KB Logitech - USB, its not often present during boot time, the BIOS seems to ignore it from time to time, but hey that's Gigabyte - you know it is normal.
 Mouse a4 Tech. wireless  USB mouse, makes the mobo CREATE some strange high freq. sounds while you drag it, it may lag from time to time, tho I never seen it lagging on other boards, and bisides the NO ANY LAG logo on it, but hey that's also normal - you know it's a GigaByte. Isn't it ?!

Here is how the post screen looks like @ IDE mode  and mem set to 1333 MHz I just noticed that it's more stable @ 1333 MHz then 1066

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tnyL9M12mnG7dwsv67efug?feat=directlink

Now I want my AHCI mode to be present and work as it use to work 2 days ago, and GB, please fianlly fix this mobo, it's a shame to ask for such a price when it comes to price tagging and do nothing when it comes to support. But shame is not of matter for money makers like you, what it matters for you is the money, well guess when I'll buy again something branded Gigabyte, regardless of the paid reviews and the "won" "competitions" ?!

Sorry for the rough tone of my post, but first it was the power off issue, then was the spontaneous BIOS reset, then was this forum REG. issue, now is the AHCI mode issues, the c3 c5 c7 power issues under win7, it's you know too much of a useless efforts to recreate something that is done in a honorable way.
 If any of you, dear readers have similar issues, please feel free to post it here, and tell me how you fixed your particular problem. Thank and sorry for the bitching, tho GB deserves it, and even more, like some product banns for the European market.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: GA X58A UD3R REV.2 BISO ver. FF, ICH SATA Control Mode issues
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:33:39 pm »

Well! where to begin! ...........Goooooooooooooooooood Morning Vietnaaaaaaaaaaam !

You obviously have 20 to 30 years of experience under your belt so treat everything bellow as newbie suggestions  ;)

To answer all your questions will be like a novel, so I'll tackle the one's that stick out like "dogs nuts"

Basic configuration of your motherboard is unfortunately left to the end user...... Pilot error and misunderstanding of what the board can actually do and what it displays , and how this is interpreted accounts for close to 9 out of 10 perceived problems by the end user.

The $h!ty mobo keep throwing this ugly crap on POST: (Image).......... can you tell me in your own words why you think this is ... "Bad" or wrong to your way of thinking..... why would you want to turn it back to IDE anyway ?

your second and third image shows normal LED activity Prior to the OS loading and becoming active..... the LEDs go out just a few seconds later during the post process.

If you read your manual carefully, a lot of the features your complaining about as being Dodgie features no mother board should have, can actually be turned off if you choose too..........no amount of wishing will do this, in fact, some people like these features for various reasons.

The double boot at times,  is a "Normal" feature where the board is having trouble with what you have connected up to the motherboard or the configuration you have input via BIOS..... it's just doing it's damedest best to boot up to a stable desktop

The boot error to last good config is something more serious but again can be pilot error and or hardware problems, usually not the MoBo!

To give you an idea about pilot error.......if you want your PC "NOT" to turn off after a few hours..........go to power options in control panel
and create your own power profile so the PC and or monitor never turns off........(Yes you can still turn it off from your desk top or soft off button on the front)

Now if I can be more constructive in Why your getting these Real issues........I suspect theres not enough juice (Volts) or the stability of your power supply could be in Question .... with the amount of drives you in your box, 650/700 watts is marginal considering PSU degrade in output with age/use

A personal attack on the manufacture of your kit needs to be backed up with solid evidence and careful analysis of the kit involved.......Unfortunately your unsubstantiated outburst on this site will draw very little real help from UNPAID members.........that right we all-do  this for nothing...........if you want help, ......just ask..........if you want to rant!......"Gigabyte pissed me off.com might be better ;)

Aussie Allan

i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »
I am afraid I too would have to agree with most of what Allan says there and it sounds more like you are having trouble configuring your board correctly. I have lived for several years in BG so I know exactly what the power infrastructure is like and it is not the most stable or best. If you really want help with a specific problem try giving only the pertinent facts and then ask the forum for help.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Univac

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »
Hi again,
 This was really a fast replay :) Thanks, tho Allan's re was sort of a sarcastic one, but I would post the same kind of helping post, if I were Allan :)
 Any ways few hours latter when Im sortaaa chilled, I'd have to add this to that :

The $h!ty mobo keep throwing this ugly crap on POST: (Image).......... can you tell me in your own words why you think this is ... "Bad" or wrong to your way of thinking..... why would you want to turn it back to IDE anyway ?
Well the mobo simply stops on this "23" code... and it freezes there... no matter how long you wait for it to pass this step it wont. It simply freezes there - no more action. In the past when it used to work it was showing one of the HDDs in cyan text, then it was loading the rest of its boot sequence. Basically you get a system that does not pass the POST and show 23, whatever this means. It's just this. It CRASHES there and that all, so please do not insist that this a normal condition, I can see that you use the same mobo, so Im sure that you know how it should behave.  If you try to reboot the mobo MAY NOT read the CTRL+ALT+DEL combo, so you have to manually press the reboot button. After rebooting no matter how many times you try to go into the BIOS in order to move back to the ONLY working ICH MODE /witch is IDE/, you are not allowed to get into the BIOS, the mobo rejects any keyboard input.
 So you are basically forced to press the CMOS_RESET button.
 That is what I call not a normal behavior, and this is what seems odd to me, and I'm not pretending to have anything beneath my belt, besides you know.... balls  :P
 Hope so that you got some scene of humor :)
 Anyways it a bit late in here, and Im afraid that there is not enow light around my machine to film a little clip with the chrash, and the LEDs that never turn off.
 As far as
To give you an idea about pilot error.......if you want your PC "NOT" to turn off after a few hours..........go to power options in control panel
and create your own power profile so the PC and or monitor never turns off........(Yes you can still turn it off from your desk top or soft off button on the front)
I do assume that you think of me as for some brainless jackA$$, well here another tip - I may look that way, but as far as I know I'm not, well at least that is what my friends say. So consider this paragraph of yours also as a void one.

The double boot at times,  is a "Normal" feature where the board is having trouble with what you have connected up to the motherboard or the configuration you have input via BIOS..... it's just doing it's damedest best to boot up to a stable desktop
This is the first mobo that does this, since I have ever had contacts with PCs and MACs, well I guess that I am too dumb and that Gigabyte is using some EXTREMELY SOPHISTICATED methods that are helping my machine and the International Space Station not to fall down and crash back on the Earth. I guess that this methods are under some patents together with some other industry secrets kept by NASA. Sorry but this is really inadequate behavior that shows that this mobo has some major issues that need some serious talks and reconsiderations that has to be taken by GB.     
 As far as the rest of the Allan's post, I think that won't be a bad idea to take a note, of what he said about the complains.
 P.S. Sorry for the broken English,  I guess the Queen will get it over, so I guess the rest of you will do it too. :)
 I will try to add some video of the crash tomorrow.
 Oh, and thanks for the re:s. ;)

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:28:30 pm »

Univac  .... "Sarcastic" .... "ME".... ;D....What da ya expect from an Aussie living in England!

Good to see you have a sense of humour as well, ... some say my humour too dry,..... well they can pith off!.... you only live once!

and very good to see your mood has mellowed with a few Rakias under the belt.......

Mate!......Frustrating as it is.......it's only a computer! ..........and can be killed with rifle fire  :D

Now down to business of fixing puters

there always a chance your MoBos fried..........But there's just as good a chance , it's not!

No one should be having the amount of problems as your experiencing, and if it really is the MOBO!..... Gigabyte are probably the better people to be with if theres an RMA in the wind!.... "Trust Me"

You have several drives including sata2 and a IDE Barracuda........please tell me your not using the IDE for "C" drive......anyway!....sata and IDE generally are a bad idea together on really any board now......sometimes they work.....more often, they cause problems

Will be interested to see the video........ as hard as it might look.....we really do try to help anyone with a problem

Going back to a basic config might also help if you can get it booted up stable....... that is GPU-memory (one stick) and just the OS drive and DVD.

I might mention here...... for ACHI to load and run properly ... the OS needs to be installed under ACHI........if it's installed under IDE and you switch to ACHI!..........BSOD , BSOD , BSOD

Anyway post back when you have more info .......... or ........one or two pointed questions at a time will get you the best, prompt, concise replys from me and many others....... have a good evening ;)

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:26 am »
I see that Allan has already answered you and has suggested more or less what I would have done.

Firstly this is NOT normal behavior for the motherboard! It does show all the LEDs  on booting butn they should go off as the boot progresses. I take it that on your board it never gets far enough for this to happen.

I think the best way forward is to remove the motherboard from the case and strip it back to basics.

Remove the motherboard from the case and test it on the workbench.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and now I know you haven't got any graphics but try and boot. The system should try and then fail emitting a series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Univac

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 08:27:52 pm »
Hello,
 Here are some videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZl9jvaJL-4

There is some bad sound on it, it was recored with my phone, and its horrible.
 Any ways there is another video, that shows the sort of a solution of this issue, tho it does not show why it happens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJw6C4Z1Ls

Thanks for your time...
 Id be happy if you give me some advice how shell I proceed for here on...
 Take care m8t.
 And sorry for the horrible English.

Re: GA X58A UD3R REV.2 BIOS ver. FF, ICH SATA Control Mode issues
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:04:16 am »
Any suggestions why the ICH10R sata ahci controller does not work anymore with one of my SATA drives ?
Please do note that the same HDD works under the Marvels SATA controller in IDE and also in AHCI, same statement applies for the Gigabytes' SATA controller.
 Do you think that somehow the ICH10R may become corrupted/defective or in any other means showing actions that shell not be considered as normal operation behavior ?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Re: GA X58A UD3R REV.2 BIOS ver. FF, ICH SATA Control Mode issues
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:26 am »
Any suggestions why the ICH10R sata ahci controller does not work anymore with one of my SATA drives ?
Please do note that the same HDD works under the Marvels SATA controller in IDE and also in AHCI, same statement applies for the Gigabytes' SATA controller.
 Do you think that somehow the ICH10R may become corrupted/defective or in any other means showing actions that shell not be considered as normal operation behavior ?

I think that your first course of action should be to clear the CMOS exactly like described please.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

After you have completed that install the latest chipset drivers tyhat you can find.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:23:29 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:50 am »
Thanks for your time...
 Id be happy if you give me some advice how shell I proceed for here on...
 Take care m8t.
 And sorry for the horrible English.

After checking out your videos and looking at all the other information that you have forwarded it is clear that the motherboard is definitely faulty and needs replacing.

Feel free to show the retailer this thread if he still maintains that there is no problem. The board is not supposed to behave like this.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:32:20 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:19 am »
Thank you for your fast replay and for your time.
 I will drop the machine on Monday @ the retailer's service office.

I really hope so that they will change the MoBo with a new one and I hope that there will be no issues :)  ::)

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »
Thank you for your fast replay and for your time.
 I will drop the machine on Monday @ the retailer's service office.

I really hope so that they will change the MoBo with a new one and I hope that there will be no issues :)  ::)

I don't really understand why you are returning the motherboard as yours only requires some configuration I expect. Have you followed my initial advice about clearing the CMOS and if so how has that affected the system ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:03 am »
Just have to throw it out there, when I "upgraded" my bios from FE to FF, I started having massive issues with the Intel controller under AHCI mode.  I went back to FE and it worked perfectly again.  Haven't "upgraded" it since.  If you get this back try "downgrading" it to FE if you can get your hands on it.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:49:51 am »
Just have to throw it out there, when I "upgraded" my bios from FE to FF, I started having massive issues with the Intel controller under AHCI mode.  I went back to FE and it worked perfectly again.  Haven't "upgraded" it since.  If you get this back try "downgrading" it to FE if you can get your hands on it.

Yes often worth a try especially if you notice the problem after updating the drivers or running a BIOS update etc. In your case it might be worth checking to see if there is another updated version since FF that you could try.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 09:01:12 am »
I don't really understand why you are returning the motherboard as yours only requires some configuration I expect. Have you followed my initial advice about clearing the CMOS and if so how has that affected the system ?
After checking out your videos and looking at all the other information that you have forwarded it is clear that the motherboard is definitely faulty and needs replacing.

Feel free to show the retailer this thread if he still maintains that there is no problem. The board is not supposed to behave like this.

Good luck.

Seems like those two comments were written by two completely different persons. Or the time stamps of the forums are messy.Anyways this is odd!

Im returning this mobo 'coz I need a working unit, I did buy this one due to some or all of its futures that are supposed to be present in this particular model. There are currently not present anymore. There was no warning message or notification form the manufacturer that there may not be present at some time during the warranty period. So I consider this as a faulty unit that needs to be replaced. Those problems and similar once like pre-boot reboot cycle were present since the very first day I had this mobo.
 I did clear the CMOS.
 Please watch the VIDEOs and you will see what Im talking about.
 As an end result I got a mobo that is supposed to handle AHCI mode for all of it's controllers but is doesn't. I did not spend by money to have a not working system.