Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-D525TUD: Problems with Wake On LAN

GA-D525TUD: Problems with Wake On LAN
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:56:37 am »
Hi everyone!

I recently registered on this board since I am having some trouble with my GA-D525TUD.

I am using this board as a fileserver, in combination with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and two Samsung HD103UJ HDD's, configured with Linux Software RAID mdadm as a RAID 1. My boot device is a 8GB USB Stick, from which I load my Ubuntu Server 11.04 operating system. Boot order is configured [USB-HDD,none,none]. BIOS is updated to latest release (version 5 I suppose).

I installed ethtool and configured the LAN interface for Wake On LAN. Usually I remotely wake up and shut down this server from a Ubuntu 11.04 VM running on a VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 4.1 Host. Shutdown works pretty well, so does wake up, but when not used for a couple of hours, or at least randomly, the GA-D525TUD looses its boot order on wakeup and tries to boot from HDD instead of USB-Stick, which doesn't work due to a missing operating system on that disks.

Now my question: Does anyone else have the same problems? Is there a workaround for that issue? Or is it something OS-specific so that I should ask that question again on some Ubuntu/Debian boards or IRC channels?

I am looking forward to receiving some ideas or hints on this topic, since there is nothing more annoying than when you sit at work and want to look up something on your home fileserver and it doesn't boot up.

Best regards from Good Ol' Germany,

Martin