Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte EX58 Extreme With Sound Card

Gigabyte EX58 Extreme With Sound Card
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:17:09 pm »
I tried today to use a 3rd party sound card as the onboard sound on this, mobo is to say the least the worst sound i have ever had.

very quiet!
no bass!
pants for games!
pants for films!

if i use my tv speakers i have it on number 18 when watching tv but have to have it on anything between 50-80 when watching a film or listening to music on my tv.

so i tried the following sound cards:

creative x-fi fatality
creative x-fi pci-e
creative x-fi music
5 generic cheap sound cards £5-£40 each

on windows 7/vista/xp 32bit and 64bit.

some of the cards would work but then would change from speaker/headphones to digital audio out with no option to turn it back to headphones, then i go back to the c**p onboard sound and everything works fine.

anyone else had this issue and no how to fix it as i want some good sound quality for a change, even with the realtek stuff installed it is still c**p as that gives you no equaliser options to increase the volume.

wish i had of got the asus or dfi mobo now atleast they no what good sound is.

really need some help with this otherwise i have wasted over £200 on a mobo that is supposed to be the dogs dangleys and in fact it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Baron

Re: Gigabyte EX58 Extreme With Sound Card
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:52:45 pm »
Since my pci slot is unusable due to my X-Fire cards, I could not install my Creative Audigy 2ZS.
Not too keen on the onboard sound, so I bought an external Creative XFi 5.1 USB sound card which works very well.
Solved my problem.... :)

Re: Gigabyte EX58 Extreme With Sound Card
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:05 pm »
hey doood..
it looks like we are having the same problem. my asus xonar d2x card keeps losing sound when i overclock and the ONLY way to get sound back is to press the clear cmos button. ive posted on 6 different websites, ive contacted gigabyte and also have spoken with 4 tech reps from asus. still waiting for responses but i have gotten it worked out... sort of still waiting to see if the sound holds.
what i had to do is download the latest beta driver for the bios from the gigabyte site. f9 bios version. it was a little tricky booting cuz i got a couple of bsods and i really questioned if it was good. but after trying and loading optimized defaults and rebooting and then loading my 4.2 ht settings ive finally got it to work with sound. yaahhooo at least for now.
some other things for you that ive found out...
i think that the virtualization needs to enabled.
the other thing i have on is the PROCHOT option in the bios. dont know what that is but ive left it on
changing the pci express frequency to 100 DID NOT help and the computer didnt start up so it is on auto and works good.
anyway here are my settings just for your curiosity hope this helps...
im going to post on here too see if anyone else has any ideas

gigabyte ex58 ud5
i7 965
asus xonar d2x sound
corsair 3 gig 1600 ram
1000 psu silverstone
gtx 280 sli

25x168 = 4.2
ht on turbo off
qpi = x36 = 6.04
mem = x10 = 1680
vcore = 1.64875