Official GIGABYTE Forum

SSD Caching - Help with new install

SSD Caching - Help with new install
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:47:48 am »
Hello,

I just recently purchased a new Intel Core i5 2500K PC with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 motherboard...I also purchased a Western Digital 2TB Black HDD from the vendor who installed everything.  I had a Intel 320 SSD 40GB drive from before and I wanted to add that as my SSD Caching drive.

The problem I'm having is I can't get the SSD Drive to install using the Smart Reponse...I have it set to RAID(XHD) in the BIOS.  The first time I tried to install Windows with both drives connected, it installed the System files on the SSD and everything else on the 2TB drive, which isn't what I want.  So I disconnected the SSD and re-installed Windows again, then installed all the utilities and hooked the SSD back up again now.  I can see the SSD in Disk Management as 37GB of unallocated space and also see the Intel RAID Controller under Device Manager --> Storage Controllers, but when I go into the EZ Smart Response Utility, it just gives me an error message saying No Additional SSD Hard Drive is available for Smart Response.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it possibly the way the vendor installed the original 2TB because he probably thought it was going to be my only HDD?  Or is there some configuration I'm missing in Windows??

Thanks for the help