Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB 3.0 on GA-990FXA-UD3 very slow

jimdot

USB 3.0 on GA-990FXA-UD3 very slow
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »
I have a 500gb external USB 3.0 hard drive connected. It doesn't seem to matter what USB 3.0 port I plug it into,, Front Panel(connected to on board USB 3.0 header) or 1 of the back pannel ports it's slow booting up my system When it's unplugged everthing comes up as expected. I'm running Win 7/Sp1 64bit. It takes a good 45 secs after seeing "Windows is starting" to where I get the flying logo.

Anyone know how I might speed this up? Tweak somthing in BIOS maybe??

Any insight into this issue is of course, much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: USB 3.0 on GA-990FXA-UD3 very slow
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:09:36 pm »
Hi Jim,

I don't use a USB3 HDD enclosure but I do know that adding extra devices will increase the time taken to BOOT any system. For example, on my own system, BOOTING to Windows 7 with a single SSD takes 12 seconds with 3 x SSD's and 3 x HDD's that has increased to around 30 - 45 seconds and these are all connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard

Personally I never have any of my USB devices attached during start-up and although not a perfect solution, if you don't need to constantly access the USB Drive, maybe this is an option you might consider. It saves a little power but also prolongs the life of the device as it isn't constantly being powered up and running even when you aren't using it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

jimdot

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:39 pm »
Hi Absic,
I won't ordinarily have that external drive runnng anyway. I just thought it was so odd that it took so much longer. I have 1 internl SSD & 3 WD 750 Gig SATA III drives in my rig. What I did notice though is that I tested a USB 2.0 500Gb drive & when it's plugged in my boot up speed remains about the same. So,,, the disparity in boot times between USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 being plugged in is quite noticable. Just seems strange to me. ::) ::)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:09 am »
I know what you're saying as I did some experimenting yesterday and also noticed a much increased BOOT time when trying to start with a USB3 device plugged in over that when using a USB2 device.

I can only think that they haven't ironed out all of the bugs with the USB3 controller(s) yet and BIOS is struggling to recognise what's attached to the USB3 ports during the POST/BOOT phase.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.