Official GIGABYTE Forum

Assassin (x58), Rev1, F2 Bios. Fan RPMs not detected 140mm fans, heat issue

I saw one older similar thread here at TT, wasn't sure whether to resurrect, or post new.  

I have an Assassin (x58), Rev 1, F2 Bios.  It's in a Lian Li case, which has two 140mm fans at the front (I'll call these A & B), and a 120mm at the back (C).

C is plugged into the system header, turns, and RPM are reported (this isn't my problem).
A is plugged into header 3, turns, no RPM are reported.
B is plugged into header 2, turns, RPM is reported.

I've also tried switching the fans around, with the same result (this means both fans are capable of reporting RPM)
B is plugged into header 3, turns, no RPM are reported.
A is plugged into header 2, turns, RPM is reported.
I've logged a tech support request with Gigabyte, wondered if anyone here had any inputs.

Also, I have two Radeon 6950 (Sapphire Dirt 3) in the two 16x slots.  Temperature reported at "System 1" after a session of gaming is 100°C.  GPU temp is much lower.  I'm not sure if this is because I have a poor airflow, or whether there's a temperature sensor sitting right under the graphics card exhaust (they do NOT spit the heat outside of the case). Anyone know exactly where it is, and whether this is typical?

Thanks
AoN.

1) Apologies, I got my forums confused (and don't appear to be able to edit the first post).

2) Poor airflow was the culprit for Sensor 1 getting so hot.  An extra fan has it topping out at 65C.

Now, if only the motherboard were able to sense and control both those 140mm fans, I'd be happy...

AoN

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Hi anneoneamouse,  ;)

Welcome in forum,

If you give more infos about your Lian Li case.
Like a models and maybe if a interior fan have a control like minimum, middle or maximum range by slide button, by exemple.

Samethings for thirds party of fans. Brands and model.

Weblink are appreciated. Add a little size picture about interior of case if possible.
When you write a message in Post, click on ''Additional Options...'' and in Attach : Section , choose your picture.

Tanks for comprehension.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:45:04 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi and welcome.

In my opinion you are approaching this problem the wrong way. I would advise purchasing a fan controller many of which even have temperature readouts on them and speeds etc. This is far safer also than running a lot of fans off motherboard headers. They have been known to burn out before.

They needent be expensive and I reviewed one recently that controlled four fans and was around a tenner! Admittedly it was fairly basic  and didn't have temp readouts but it nevertheless gave proper controll over each individual fan.

You can see a range of them here and get an idea of the type of thing available.

http://www.candccentral.co.uk/fan-controllers/
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB