Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bios dont show up at all

Bios dont show up at all
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »
Worked with 3 year old computer saturday, went swimming, when i got home not even BIOS will start, screen is not get any contact.
I turn power on, computer does something for approx 14 seconds then restarts, no screen contact nothing(fans etc are running i can hear HD do some small stuff), and so it continues. I have reset CMOS, nothing happens.

Should i try connect Vss and HOLD# and restart to load backup bios or what?
Find it rather strange that computer worked and then not even seeing the bios screen.

I found this thread(sorry for posting this), should this be advisable to test out?

"The technician said he thought he knew what the problem was. He turned off the PSU power switch and with a screwdriver shorted the BIOS to reset it.  With the screwdriver still shorting the two pins, he turned on the PSU power, then pressed the case "on" button.  Still with the screwdriver across the pins, he continuously held the button while the CPU started, then stopped and shut down, then started again.  Then he pulled the screwdriver away.

The POST beeped once, and up came the startup information on the screen.  He went into BIOS and saved it, then shut the system down.

He started the machine and it booted and showed on the usual screen straight away."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:31:44 pm by Ultragrisen »

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: Bios dont show up at all
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:24 pm »
Hi Ultragrisen,  ;)

Welcome to forum,

About Clear Cmos : Although you have already done, it would be nice to do it again using the following procedure ....

I suggest you apply the following instructions (quote from Dark Mantis) ...
===================================================

Hi

Try clearing the CMOS before installing the GPU. follow these instructions exactly.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Otherwise :

Have you got the BIOS updated to the latest version ? This is just a question... Not a obligation to make.

Have you before your problem make a change in BIOS? Like a Overcloked a Ram, or CPU...? Or anythings...

Have you use a software for modding a BIOS? Just a question. Do not make it... Thanks.

I found this thread(sorry for posting this), should this be advisable to test out?

"The technician said he thought he knew what the problem was. He turned off the PSU power switch and with a screwdriver shorted the BIOS to reset it.  With the screwdriver still shorting the two pins, he turned on the PSU power, then pressed the case "on" button.  Still with the screwdriver across the pins, he continuously held the button while the CPU started, then stopped and shut down, then started again.  Then he pulled the screwdriver away.

The POST beeped once, and up came the startup information on the screen.  He went into BIOS and saved it, then shut the system down.

He started the machine and it booted and showed on the usual screen straight away."

It is very risky to do this kind of maneuver. Please be patient. I know it is not easy.
Wait until you have other information from Dark Mantis. I sent him a message.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:16:10 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 03:00:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply, i will go for the first option then tonite and try that.

Nope i have not overclocked it or anything, had similar problem  a year ago, but it suddenly worked again.

Had alot of problems with the motherboard since i bouht it, i can only use  2GB ram if i put in the second 2GB bios will fail horribly, had it returnded to vendor but then it failed anyway, lazy as i was i did not return it since i could do with 2GB back then.
Thanks for your input so far, will post model and config when i get home aswell. Bouht it autumn 3 years ago.
Best regards
Thomas

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »
Hi again,  ;)

I understand that the warranty period has already passed? What is the purchase date of your motherboard?

What is the model of your motherboard. Thank you to clarify quickly.

EDIT01: Give us more infos.. complete infos about your configuration system.
 Like a version and type of Operating System - OS  (Windows Seven x64 62 bit, by exemple...)
Brands and model of PSU, RAM, graphics cards, hard disk, SSD, etc.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:35:32 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

teknology9

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »
Hi,

Unfortunately the warranty does not start from the date of purchase but instead the time(week) the MB was manufactured. The serial number on the motherboard box and/ or the serial number near to or on the 24 pin power socket will also show this information.

teknology9
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:34:19 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
Unfortunately the warranty does not start from the date of purchase but instead the date the MB was manufactured. The serial number on the motherboard box and/ or the serial number near to or on the 24 pin power socket will also show this information.

Just to clarify this, when looking at the serial number you need the first four digits, these show the year and week of manufacture so, for example if your serial number starts 0821 then it shows your motherboard was produced in week 21 of 2008.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

teknology9

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »
Just to clarify this, when looking at the serial number you need the first four digits, these show the year and week of manufacture so, for example if your serial number starts 0821 then it shows your motherboard was produced in week 21 of 2008.

No date is stated, just to clarify, only the fact that the warranty begins when the MB has been manufactured and not purchased.
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:07:41 pm »
Hi,

Unfortunately the warranty does not start from the date of purchase but instead the time(week) the MB was manufactured. The serial number on the motherboard box and/ or the serial number near to or on the 24 pin power socket will also show this information.

teknology9

Hi teknology,

Hum, I must say that each country and its provinces (in Canda), states (in the United States) in North America, at least, its own laws for the protection of consumers or competition law.

In my province (Quebec) the date of purchase of a product or item corresponds to the date of commencement of the warranty on the product purchased.

EDIT01: But it makes sense to say that the product has a warranty from date of manufacture. Otherwise it would be inconceivable to have a guarantee on the product, as it leaves the factory.

Maybe in Euro Zone is different.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:22:20 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

teknology9

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 05:11:03 pm »
Hi Gloup_Gloup,

Which country is the original poster from........Sweden.......Europe......and not North America. If it was North America then I'm sure the various laws regarding warranties will apply.

Have a read of this:

http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp

This is in North America.

Teknology9
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:22:33 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:20 pm »
Hi Gloup_Gloup,

Which country is the original poster from?

Hi again, all
The poster (the messenger) at the origin of this Topic is from Sweden (see Ultragrisen's profil).

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:18:55 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

teknology9

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:23:48 pm »

Hi again, all
The poster (the messenger) at the origin of this Topic is from Sweden (see Ultragrisen's profil).

Gloup_Gloup

Yes I know, have  a look a my previous post ......the one above yours.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:24:59 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
i5- 10400
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:50:56 pm »
Hi again, all

Gloup_Gloup

Yes I know, have  a look a my previous post ......the one above yours.

Dear Teknology, ;)

It is evident that I saw your answer above mine.
 But I answered the question posed by you, (Which country is the original poster from?  Initial time : 05:03) while you edit your original message. This is the kind of situation that arrives on a forum.

EDIT02 :

Hi Gloup_Gloup,
Have a read of this:

http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp

This is in North America.

Teknology9

I read this:
Warranty Period by Product

Motherboards

o All motherboards (besides Micro ITX) carry a 3 year warranty.

Missing/bent pins
(For socket 775 motherboards, CPU socket cover is REQUIRED)

Ohh, my God, I just asked pfiew this little piece of black plastic.
Saved by the skin of the teeth.
Do you have any idea how many shopping that do not provide this type of part to the purchase of a motherboard or CPU  ???  :o

Precision about Warranty in my province (Quebec):

37. Goods forming the object of a contract must be fit for the purposes for which goods of that kind are ordinarily used.

1978, c. 9, s. 37.

38. Goods forming the object of a contract must be durable in normal use for a reasonable length time, having regard to their price, the terms of the contract and the conditions of their use.

Source: http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=/P_40_1/P40_1_A.html

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:40:08 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:41:35 pm »
Hi

Gloup_Gloup asked me to drop in to this thread but I am not sure exactly what is required of me here. Perhaps someone could clarify the situation please ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:48:17 pm »
Hi Dark Mantis,  ;)

I call you about first, initial post by Ultragrisen...

So about a Bios situation...

Warranty situation is a secondary development of Topic...  8)

EDIT01: I send a reNew email to you...

Gloup_Gloup

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:55:23 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:16 pm »
Thanks for that.  Well any type of "hardware adjustment" would of course invalidate any warranty that there was on the product. As I understand it the motherboard is out of warranty anyway as it is over the "three years since manufacture" as teknology quite rightly said. It is always best in these circumstances to let someone who understands the procedure try and rectify any problem. It may be that this type of reset isn't what's called for anyway and is a very risky process.

I would suggest using this method which does exactly the same but less risky. You will find it usually works but the timing is rather critical so it might take a few attempts.

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB