Official GIGABYTE Forum

No Access to Bios Menu

JRBOND

No Access to Bios Menu
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:38:34 am »
I am trying to build a conputer rig for my son for Christmas and have run into some snags.  This is my 4th build and have not had any problems with others.  I have a GA-890FX-UD5 with an AMD Phenom II 1090T with a psu of 700w and the graphics card is a HD5450.  I did a new install of Windows 7  64 and now I cannot get into the BIOS menu.  I have tried several keyboards including a ps2.  The CMOS has been cleared several times and I have falshed the BIOS to F6 through @Bios as this is my only option at the moment as I do not have keyboard control during bootup.  After trial and error I have found that I can get into BIOS menu (randomly) by pressing TAB and then DELETE.  Once in there though I cannot navigate too well as keys are limited.  To move around I have to press TAB and then an arror key.  Sometimes it will freeze and I will have to do a reboot.  If I allow the computer to boot into Windows, the keyboard and mouse are fully functional therefore I don't believe it is a keyboard problem.  Device Manager shows no issues with USB ports.  I have read many forums regarding others having similar issues and have tried some solutions without success.
Any one- please help.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: No Access to Bios Menu
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:20:00 am »
Hi and welcome.

This is a very unusual problem in as much as there seems to be more than one issue at once. 

Have you tried to use a PS2 keyboard connected directly into the PS2  socket at the rear panel of the motherboard ?

Is the USB keyboard connected directly into the USB port on the rear of the machine ?

What make/model are the keyboards ?

If it persists I would be inclined to remove the motherboard from the case and rebuild on the worktop. Please let me know if you intend to do this as I will give you some pointers first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 09:03:00 am »
Hi there,

Which revision is the motherboard? I have the Rev 2.1 running the F6 BIOS and have not encountered this issue.

Apart from the parts you have mentioned what else do you have attached to the system?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:51 am »
Im running Bios f8 from beginning no problems at all.. Most of time if u cant come into bios its Memory.. Try to use lower ddr3 memory banks.. under 1333Mhz.. like  mayB that helps.. Booting with low memory will help if u have booting issues..
Greets Johnneh Netherlandss

JRBOND

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:51 pm »
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

First, the keyboard that i have been using is a Logitech wired keyboard but i have tried an old IBM ps2 keyboard which is directly connected to that port in the back of the computer.  I use this keyboard on a Home Server without any issues. 

The rev # of the motherboard is 2.0. 
I will try different memory sticks to see if that changes anything.  If that doesn't work then I will try removing the motherboard and rebuild on worktop.

There is nothing attached to the computer other than the graphics card and a DVD player (LG).
I will let you know the results

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 07:33:32 am »
The next thing is to remove the motherboard form the case and test it on the workbench.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory/graphics card and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and mouse and try and boot. The system should try and make a beep or series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB