Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R yellow light issue. Will not turn on.

nolij

GA-X58A-UD3R yellow light issue. Will not turn on.
« on: December 25, 2011, 02:48:42 am »
Everything worked fine last night. I went to turn on the PC today, and it powered on for a second if even that. lights flashed and that was it. So, i thought it might have shorted somewhere. So, i took everything out the case and tested with just board, psu, and memory and a fan. it did manage to power on so i turned it off to put it all back together. When i did put everything back together, it did the same thing. so again i thought it might have a short from the case. so i took it all out again, unplugged everything, even took out the little battery for a few minutes. plugged it all back up outside the case, and when i switch on the psu, the yellow light and green light next to it just flashes once and thats it. nothing happens.

from everything i read online, i will say we have had no storm so no power surge. nothing hit it, it has not fallen. it was shut down properly.
specs are the GA-X58A-UD3R board, i7 950, 850 watt corsair psu, radeon 6950, 4 x4gb g.skill, cpu and gpu liquid cooled.
I searched the loop and there was no leak so that is ruled out.

any other info needed i may have missed please ask.
im not sure if it is the board or the psu. and yes i have overclocked the chip but just to 3.83 at 1.3v.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R yellow light issue. Will not turn on.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:33:04 am »
Happy Christmas.

It does initially sound like a power problem. You have a good quality PSU and although you haven't listed all your hardware I would think it is big enough.

Have you tried the paperclip test of the PSU ?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:43:57 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

nolij

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 04:45:06 am »
sorry, here is all the hardware,

i7 950 OCed to 3.83 at 1.3
16gb 4x4gb gskill 1333
ati 6950
gigabyte ud3r board
120gb ssd
1tb storage
250gb scratch drive( for work purposes)
blu ray player
card reader
corsair 850 watt psu
mcp 655 pump
around 4 items through usb.

I have heard of the paper clip thing. can you fill me in on it please.

nolij

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 05:06:01 am »
i was curious about the paper clip so i googled it. i tried it and the psu turns on fine. no odd smells, no noises, works fine. i was aiming towards the board being back. i never had a problem until today.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 05:51:55 am »
In that case i would suggest removing the motherboard from the case and doing a test build on the worktop.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Remove the motherboard from the case after disconnecting everything except the CPU and cooler from it. .

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory/graphics card and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and mouse and try and boot. The system should try and make a beep or series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

nolij

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:38:59 am »
i figured out the issue. it was shorting from the case. how i do not know since from the time i built it, until the issue, i have done nothing to the machine. apparently the screws from the cpu waterblock were touching the case metal and shorting it. like i said, odd, since i did nothing to the machine since i built it.

so i took all the water cooling equipment out and replaced with the stock coolers on the cpu and gpu. everything worked fine after that. now i have a new issue, i get the infamous reboot loop.

my ram and psu is good. i have all drives unplugged at the moment. i held the clear cmos button for 1 minute, tried again for 2, then tried again for 5 minutes as i read that in other threads. no luck. i took the cmos battery out for an hour with the machine unplugged. no luck. to clear things i have the rev.2 x58a ud3r board. im really thinking i have a bricked or bad board. all it does is loop and loop.

also i reseated the cpu, checked for bend pins, none, reapplied paste, nothing but a reboot loop.
it is still under warranty but after all the threads i read about their customer service and rma i am a bit worried i will have to come out of pocket for a new board.

this is a great board. lasted a year and overclocks great. oh, and when it was working fine i reset to optimized defaults so there was no overclocking after i got it working.

MiiCK

• I LOVE MY PC! :D
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:45:49 am »
' ... but after all the threads i read about their customer service and rma i am a bit worried i will have to come out of pocket for a new board. '

What's wrong with Gigabyte's RMA process? Heard nothing but good things about them, and I sent my broken motherboard off and received a replacement within 2 days.. excellent service.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz
Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz
EVGA 1GB 550ti
Corsair TX850
2TB WD20EARX
Zalman Z9 Plus
ViewSonic 23" Full HD 1080p
Astro A40 Wireless System
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

nolij

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 03:12:48 am »
not that i said anything was bad about it, i just read more bad then good. maybe i should have dug deeper before posting that statement. sorry. what is odd though, is when i left the pc alone for the night when my first issue arose, it worked fine. this has happened before with a different build were i had the reboot loop, left it unplugged overnight an the next day it worked. worth a shot while i wait until tomorrow to do the rma form.

nolij

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 07:32:17 am »
just a quick thought, would a dead cmos battery be an issue for it not booting? i mean all the important info is in the cmos, so if the pc cannot access it i think it would not let it boot, thus giving me the reboot loop. just a thought.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 08:00:23 am »
Hi nolij,  ;)

Of course, if a battery on motherboard is not powerfull or dead , you have a problem to acces on BIOS or others Errors messages.

So if you are not sure about this battery, the best is the change to new battery.

EDIT01: this is my 500th post.  :D

Gloup_Gloup

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:04:17 am by Gloup_Gloup »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:47:22 pm »
Congratulations on your 500th post there Gloup_Gloup  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

nolij

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:37 pm »
ok i will try the battery first. cheapest test method for now. if i get no luck with a new battery, im guessing rma.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 05:19:07 pm »
Congratulations on your 500th post there Gloup_Gloup  ;)

Hi Dark Mantis, ;)

Merci beaucoup. Thanks a lot.
A new status for wanting improve my English writing. :D

ok i will try the battery first. cheapest test method for now. if i get no luck with a new battery, im guessing rma.

Hi nolij, ;)

I understand that you are discouraged and disappointed.
But there will probably other operating to be done ...
So, come again, for comments here..
Be as specific and detailed as possible. Like you have make in last post.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:27:13 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

nolij

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 05:52:47 pm »
so i bought and tried a new cmos battery, thought i just give it a shot. no luck. it still does the reboot loop. so i turn off, unplugged the machine and did the cmos reset steps, placed in the new battery and no luck. i have tested with just cpu and heatsink, psu, and one stick of ram. no luck. i tried all four ram sticks one at a time in all slots with no luck. then i tired with all four sticks together with no luck. i even tried putting the entire pc together just to give it a shot, still does the reboot loop. and again, it only stays on for maybe a second, no there is nothing on the screen so i cant even get into bios to at least reset to defaults.

i have tried everything told to me and everything i have read elsewhere. any other options i may have? im not sure talking to gigabyte tech support will help me either. my fellow techs im am lost at the moment.

Gloup_Gloup

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:28:13 pm »
Hi nolij:

I give to you a special instructions:
Take carefully...

System power on then shut down could be one of the components on board was defective or some where  shorted cause issue.

Test the board out side of the case.
On the floor or table. Put a motherboard on CartonPaper or rubber.

Take care with Static electric shock. Touch a metal hardware like Metal case of Tools Box or Penny.
Put rubber gloves if you want.  :P This is small joke, but why not...

Remove all components from board,

Take onboard cell battery out for 5 sec Clear CMOS first

Then just connect the 24 pin ATX and the other 4 pin 12 volt connector from power supply to motherboard (need connect both connectors),

Re-connect CPU heatsink fan to cpu fan connector (Whitout cpu, video card, memory not thing) Just a connector, not need re install fan.

Turn system ON.

Check if CPU fan runs and keep running if it shut off that tells could be bad power supply test with over power supply.

If CPU fan keep running without shut off itself

put CPU, video card, single memory back one at a time until issue occured to find out which component shorted cause system stop turn on.

END of Procedure.
----------------------

Come again here for comments.

Gloup_Gloup