Official GIGABYTE Forum

Northbridge heatsink

geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks
Northbridge heatsink
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »
Hi all.

Im in the process of changing my main board to something a little more modern, and whilst taking off the heatsink, AMD put so much thermal paste (either that or thermal paste in general has become very sticky since I last changed the processor) onto the heatsink that it ripped out the CPU with the bracket closed (much like Soarwitheagles experience here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7914.0.html ). I cant find any bent pins or any pins missing on the CPU itself, so Im hoping that all will be ok?

Also, I think know Ive knocked the northbridge heatsink during the process as now it appears to be very wobbly and feels like I can compress the springs just by lifting it by the heatsink. I know it is possible to replace the heatsink (or even redo the paste or whatever it is), but what I want to know is that will I be able to use the same thermal paste as what Im going to be using for my CPU ( http://www.spire-corp.com/main/product_detail.asp?ProdID=458 ) or is there some other stuff that I should be using ideally?
Nothing to see here, move along....

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Northbridge heatsink
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:00:20 am »
Hi,

Just use the best quality thermal paste that you can get hold of. It doesn't require any special treatment but of course the better the TIM the cooler the chip. Some of these heatsinks are not very well designed and as you have noticed can easilly come loose with a simple knock. The fixing could have been designed much better to hold them solidly down.

When are we going to see your avatar again ? I used to like it.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

geekyadz

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:30:57 pm »
Hi DM,

Well I meant was there a specific brand or anything that you would recommend? If not then will the stuff I have do?

As for the avatar, thats cos of where I had it has tightened its belt and doesnt really allow guest access now. Ive uploaded it here now though ;)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »
You can use any normal thermal paste on the Northbridge and it really is a matter of personal preference. I use whatever I have knocking around in these situations and they all seem to work fine.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:14 pm »
Yes I'm sorry to have been a bit open in my answer there but as absic said anything half decent will do. It is not as critical as the CPU interface.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

geekyadz

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »
You can use any normal thermal paste on the Northbridge and it really is a matter of personal preference. I use whatever I have knocking around in these situations and they all seem to work fine.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Thinking about it I might just whack a new heatsink on it anyway ;) Not much of a priority; what is though is sorting out my newer mobo ;)

Yes I'm sorry to have been a bit open in my answer there but as absic said anything half decent will do. It is not as critical as the CPU interface.
No need to apologise. To be honest I wrote the question in a general guide sort of way when I needed to word it slightly differently ;) Being the chipset I thought it had to get rid of more heat