Official GIGABYTE Forum

Temperature sensors on MA78G-DS3H

Temperature sensors on MA78G-DS3H
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:31:19 am »
Can anyone give any info on the location of the temperature sensors on the Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H motherboard?  My CPU is AMD Phenom X3 8750.  I use mainly Linux and am using KSysGuard as the front end to lm-sensors to visualise system info.  lm-sensors finds three temp. sensors on the IT8718 chip:
  • Temp1 - this usually shows around 52C, which is the same as "System" in BIOS setup of EasyTune on Windows
  • Temp2 - this usually displays around 100C
  • Temp3 - this usually displays around 82C
One of temp2 or temp3 must be the CPU temp - I know this is not reported correctly for K10 processors by lm-sensors, however there is a kernel module specifically for K10 on lm-sensors.  This reports about 67C, which is more in line with "CPU" in BIOS setup and EasyTune.

Questions are:
  • Where is Temp1 / System actually located?  Is it the Northbridge or is it somewhere else on the board?
  • Which one of temp2 and temp3 is CPU, so I know to disregard it?
  • Is the other one of temp2 and temp3 connected to anything, and if so what, or is it just unused?
  • The CPU temp reported by the k10temp module is about 5-6C higher than I see in BIOS - are these both the same sensor, or is BIOS reading a sensor on the board under the socket while the kernel module reads a sensor directly on the CPU?
All three sensor values fluctuate, so they all appear to be connected to something.
The case is a mCubed HFX media chassis (basically a big Al heatsink with heatpipes connecting the chips to passive radiators) which is why even the "real" temps are a bit high.  However I have very few thermal problems - just want to be able to check!

Thanks,

Andrew
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:33:55 am by AndyWas »

kangoo

Re: Temperature sensors on MA78G-DS3H
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:42:04 am »
after searching at this forum i found as follows:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,502.msg2291.html#msg2291
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,427.msg2043.html#msg2043

this could be some kind of reply for you, as i have no idea how lm-sensors works :P

for me the bios h/w monitoring is the most accurate one, so just compare the readings from lm-sensors with it

system sensor is usually inside the i/o chip or near it