Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55M-UD2 + PCIe soundcard = quiet

robash

GA-P55M-UD2 + PCIe soundcard = quiet
« on: November 06, 2009, 05:25:44 pm »
I've just completed a new build built around a GA-P55M-UD2. However the output volume from my Asus Xonar DX is incredibly quiet, almost inaudible. Boosting it to an audible level results in distortion.

I've done a range of tests to establish it's a motherboard/PCIe issue. It's not a problem with the card as it works properly with my old motherboard (GA-P35C-DS3), it's not an OS or driver problem as it's replicated in Windows 7 and in Linux, and it's not a problem with my headphones/speakers as the volume is fine when the card is in my old rig or when they're being driven by the onboard Realtek sound.

The card is compatible with 1x, 2x and 4x PCIe slots, and is in in the 4x PCIe slot running off the P55 chipset. I've tried both F3 and F4n bios versions. All PCIe settings in the bios are at their default.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

Edit: Also it's not a PSU/power issue (the card needs a 4-pin power connection) as the problem is the same when the card is being powered by my old PSU. If there was a power issue it's likely the driver software would report it anyway.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:47:19 pm by robash »

robash

Re: GA-P55M-UD2 + PCIe soundcard = quiet
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »
Does anyone know how long I should expect a reply via Gigabyte's Global Technical Service to take?

Submitted the same query there a week ago, but as yet there has been no response or indication that it has been read. Admitedly the issue is pretty esoteric, but it's still something a knowledgable engineer should be able to shed light on quickly.

kangoo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:45:44 am »
tried to moved this card to different pcie slot?

what reply have you got from them? just curious

maybe some asus / gigabyte incompability ;)... wouldn't be surprised :P

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:45:15 am »
Just done a very similar build and had the same problem.

The culprit was the sound card - or, at least, the power supply to it.

The Asus card needs an auxiliary power supply to run its amplifier. Without this the sound will be very low.

Check this:

1. Ensure you have a power lead plugged into 4-pin connector at the bottom rear end of the card. It needs a floppy drive (type) power cable.

2. Even if you have done this (like I had) you will find that the power lead comes off the connector very easily and the white plastic shield on the 4-pin connector on the card moves down the pins and stops you getting a good connection. Push the shield back to where it should be and reconnect the power cable. You should then ensure that the connection is made stable with a cable tie or something to stop it falling off if/when you move the case.

Hope this works for you.

--
Builder

kangoo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:44 am »
that's interesting, thanks for this info