Official GIGABYTE Forum

Hardware failure? Help!

Hardware failure? Help!
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:21 pm »
Hi there. I seem to be having a major issue with my computer. I had just finished building it a couple of days ago was beginning to instal the drives. However, I seem to have run into some problems. As I was installing my video card, my computer shut down, with the power switch still on. I tried to reboot it, but no matter what I did nothing worked. Now when I turn my computer on, all the fans and lights turn on for 3-4 seconds then I hear a single beep (Only when the HDD is still attached) and it turns back off. When the HDD is out, the computer does the same thing, just without the beep.  I took out all my drives excluding my PSU, CPU and motherboard and tried to boot the computer  again but the problem hasn't changed. At this point I have no idea what to do and need help.

Here's a list of my current specs...

Processor: Intel I5 2500K
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 MHz
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
PSU: ModX Stream-Pro 700W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Optical Drive: Internal/Gh24 LG Super Multi DVD Write 24x
Monitor: LG Super LED 23" EW234
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Fatman

Re: Hardware failure? Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:39:50 pm »
You mean you were installing the videocard drivers? yeh, not trying to install the actual card with the power on.........

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:19 pm »
hehe I hope so too!

Does on-board display work?

Perhaps set the Init display first setting in the BIOS to PCIx16.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:39:16 am »
@Fatman Yeah I was installing the video card drives. And yes the power was on.

@Rolo42  I get no display with the on-board nor the actual video card itself. The computer turns on for 3-4 seconds then beeps and shuts down. And yes the monitor is connected to a wall outlet and yes it is on. So I can't do anything with the BIOS :/

Rolo42

• DON'T PANIC!
    • PC Parts List
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:07:51 am »
@Fatman Yeah I was installing the video card drives. And yes the power was on.

huh?

Since you cannot install drivers without power, I'll infer you installed a video card (plugged it into the slot) with the power on.  Is this correct?

Be happy you didn't do the 60-Hz shuffle.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:49 am »
The next thing is to remove the motherboard from the case and test it on the workbench.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory/graphics card and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and mouse and try and boot. The system should try and make a beep or series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »
What?   You inserted the graphics card into the PCIE slot, while the computer was powered on?  And the card wasn't installed prior to powering on the motherboard, right (?), you inserted it while the board was already powered up?

If so, you are lucky you didn't shock yourself, and it's very likely that you fried the graphics card, if not the motherboard and everything else as well.   I'm not trying to sound mean, sorry if it sounds that way, I'm just surprised you would do that and trying to expl;ain to you what I think might all be damaged.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:52:00 pm by Lsdmeasap »