Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-880GMA-USB3 (Rev 3.1) and ESXi 5.0, Has anyone got this combo?

Hi,

I am trying to install ESXi 5.0 on a whitebox with the above mobo and the AMD FX-8150 CPU. I have found mention of people successfully running ESXi 5.0 with the FX-8150, but no mention of the GA-880GMA-USB3 mobo.

I am not having any luck installing. The ESXi installer freezes on "loading module usb-ohci" before giving me a PSOD. I installed an AMD athlon II X2 CPU and all was fine.

I am posting here in the hope that someone may be able to confirm they have installed ESXi 5.0 with such a mobo. Or perhaps any suggestions as to what my issue might be.

I have posted full details on VMWare comminities http://communities.vmware.com/message/1998153.

Any help /pointers would be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks

W.

Tiger

Re: GA-880GMA-USB3 (Rev 3.1) and ESXi 5.0, Has anyone got this combo?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:52:42 am »
The FX processor you are using is not on the CPU Support List.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

Re: GA-880GMA-USB3 (Rev 3.1) and ESXi 5.0, Has anyone got this combo?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:00 am »
 Thank you Tiger, I am away of that small indiscretion :).

The way I look at it is, the product is free, I have no support, so what does it matter if hardware is not on the support list. ;)  What I want is a "does it work list" I know they should be considered one and the same and this time I've been caught with my pants round my ankles. I've built several white-box servers out of PC components and so far managed to get arround any issues. This is the first to stump me totally. My frustration is that I know others have the CPU working and with my Athlon X2 250, the mobo works. According to Google, my fault is almost unique, so again not a lot to go on.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go for a Supermicro board and Intel Xeon chip. Both of which are on the HCL.

There'll be a bargain on eBay soon. I don't think I've seen windows fly quite so fast!

Thanks