Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 coil noise ,and Intel7 Overclock

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 coil noise ,and Intel7 Overclock
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:32:36 am »
Hi everybody.
I purchased my computer about 7 months ago.
Specs : Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 ,Intel7 920 @ 2,66 Ghz , 3 GB DDR3 Triple Channel,Nvidia PNY 285 GTX, 2 x WD 6400 AAKS,Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer.
Now, my problem.After i started the computer for the first time,there was a very annoying coil noise,but only when i opened Yahoo Messenger, Youtube, and some different web sites and programs.Anyway,after a long long research,i found out what's the problem.
I thought it's about the " graphic coil noise" ,but it wasn't. I read in forums,and some users reported the same story.
They said to me to disable in BIOS,the CPU ENHANCED HALT ( C1E) and CPU EIST FUNCTION. So far ,so good.
After i tried that,there wasn't anymore that coil noise. ( I seated back the CPU EIST FUNCTION,to enabled,and was everything perfect.
My problem is : i tried to overclock the CPU ,a soft OC,actually. With the stock cooler...
I tried out everything,but after i stress the CPU with Prime95,in 1-2 minutes the temps are up to 100 degrees Celsius.
With no OC,my temps are just fine ,in idle and heavy load,too.
My BIOS version is F6,and i checked today,there is F7 ( Update new CPU microcode )  and  F9E ( Fix abnormal CPU temperature - above is BETA BIOS-with red color )     http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2958
I just wanna ask you if is recommended to update the BIOS with the BETA version ,F9E.
Qustions :
-   if i put everything back to DEFAULT SETTING in BIOS ,how could i get ride of this coil noise ?
-  you thing ,it's gonna help the BIOS update ?
-  had something to do the option  CPU ENHANCED HALT ( C1E ) ,with my high temps in cpu overclock ?
-  and the last question (  off topic ;D  ) is here a user who could get the graphic card ,in the PCIEX8_1 ,with the PSU bellow ?? I can't,it's to close to the PSU. The case is Cooler Master CM690
Thanks in advance guys.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:36:41 am by white_dove »

R_N_B

Re: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 coil noise ,and Intel7 Overclock
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:32:14 am »
First  -  definitely upgrade to the beta bios. There is no way your CPU should be at 100'c when running prime. Stock cooler would give you 3.6 or 3.8 Ghz overclock with moderate load temperatures no problem at all. If the bios update does not resolve the temperature issue then re-seat your CPU cooler.

Second - vreg 'coil noise' the new bios should sort that out for you too. Did so for a colleagues workstation.

Last one (OT) yes you can, a dual slot card will just just fit in the space, some of colleagues use a third nVidia card as a physix driver.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:49 pm »
If i update de BIOS,do i have to make a backup my present version,before ? Is that safer ?
I updated the BIOS,once,but i never did a BIOS backup. How do i have to proceed ?
I didn't get the idea with the off topic. " a dual slot card will just just fit in the space, some of colleagues use a third nVidia card as a physix driver "
Mine isn't fit in this slot. I'll try again.
Thanks .

R_N_B

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:27:54 pm »
When you say your card does not fit - you mean there is no space between the card and the PSU yes? Or do you mean the card does not go into the slot?

Your motherboard has a dual bios so do not stress about making a back up. Just do the bios flash once you have set default settings in the bios. You do not want to flash your bios when overclocking. Default settings are your friend when flashing bios.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:00 pm »
Ok,thanks. I'll flash the BIOS with no overclocking.
The graphic card fit into the slot, but there is no space between the card and the PSU. ( Nvidia GTX 285 )

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:02:51 pm »
I tried 5 min ago. I have the USB stick in the computer,with the latest BIOS version on it.
After i press F8,i can see only the floppy drive,but i can't access the USB stick.
Help.

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:18:17 pm »
Hi, white _dove
Welcome to the forum, hope you stay a long while,
Fitting that dual slot Nvidia GTX 285 in that case directly above the psu is a problem with that case,
How much clearance is there?
If it is less than 5mm the fan  airflow inlet will stall! causing the card to run hot, you will have to fit at least fit another 120mm fan to the lower righthand side panel blowing directly into the available space you have there, and check your temps on the card with the monitoring software whilst runnig  under full load!
You could also try modding/ removing the psu cover or removing the G/card plastic cover or fitting some sort of duct to assist airflow to the card fan inlet,
There is plenty of fans (7) that can be fitted in that case so you should not be short of cooling with a positive airflow,
suck it and see is the only option!
regards

Pottypete

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:22:33 pm »
Hi
I think you have to select F12 in the  qflash utility,

Pottypete

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 01:44:03 pm »
Thanks,it was NTFS. I updated the BIOS,but if i leave enabled the CPU ENHANCED HALT ( C1E)  ,this noise is still there. Hardware trouble ?!
I disabled it,and it's gone again.I'll give a try with the OC,later.
Thanks for your help.

R_N_B

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »
Quick question  OT - you are using a 285 card to run physics or part of a tri sli system?

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 02:36:10 pm »
I have only a graphic card. No SLI at all. But i wanted to have it in the PCIEX8_1 ,because is a bit closer to the bottom fan case.
But i think that's not very important. The air-flow which is blowing on the graphic card,is good enough,even if the card is in the  PCIEX16_2
PS : Please excuse my bad english.
By the way,i have one more question for the users with the same motherboard,and Intel7 920.
Do you have any strange noise like i do, when the CPU ENHANCED HALT ( C1E ) is ENABLED in BIOS  ??
Is that a hardware problem,maybe ? When i disable CPU ENHANCED HALT ( C1E ) ,the noise is gone.

Pottypete

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:01 pm »
Hi,
From what I can find out,
(Since considerable current is flowing through the coils at a frequency of 10+kHz, the coils begin to vibrate.
I have one idea... putting epoxy or  hotglue RTV silicone  similar on top of the coil to stop it from vibrating. Similar solution was done in the good old days of CRTs where a coil in the high voltage part of the circuitry could be quite noisy,)
Hope this helps in some way or other
Regards

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 03:48:49 pm »
I'd like to put some epoxy or  hotglue RTV silicone ,but the question is ...where,exactly ?

Pottypete

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 04:15:34 pm »
Hi,
Have you got a pezio speaker on the g/card, it's about 10mmx10mm round black in colour?
With a long screwdrive use it as a stethescope placed against your ear to find out, be careful not to short anything out tho!
Some more info on this card sqeal here,
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414867
Cheers