Official GIGABYTE Forum

main bios checksum error

main bios checksum error
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:03:30 pm »
Hy guys,
I know this will sound a little bit weird but i rendered my mobo unusable. the model is H55M-UD2H v 1.0.
And this is how i did it.

I needed some SPI memories for a project and i unsoldered the memories from the board. I backed up the binaries using Dediprog Programmer. then i used the chips for what i had to do and reprogrammed them back again with the same binaries. main bios was F10 backup was F4. After putting back the memories F4 backup kicked in and went to do some recovery. As soon as it prints the main bios checksum error. it says something like reading recovery image and then restarts.. so the system restarts over again...

At the time this happens the spash screen shows and the kb is dead so i cannot use Qflash or enter any recovery menu.

I also tried burning two identical F11 images on both chips. I used the same images that are on Gigabyte website .f11 files (the ones that are inside the .exe packages - if you unzip that .exe file you will extract three files. One of them is that .f11 binary image).

The behavior is the same even with F11 images. same reboot loop.

I personally think the gigabyte recovery mechanism is not reliable enough. the fact i unwelded and welded back those flash chips should not affect too much the recovery mechanism.

I also tried to clear cmos, remove batteries, swapped ram blades...same story... I think i'm going crazy.

- I thought board can work with one flash chip ( the main chip) - it seems it is not the case

can someone explain which is the correct configuration of the ROM images? What should i write in those memories to make it work???
it's king of foggy here... if anyone faced this before please let me know how have you solved this

Regards,
Eugen

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: main bios checksum error
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »
Hi

Sounds like you are up sh1t creek without a paddle!  ;D Firstly I would suggest trying a PS2 keyboard as that might work in place of the USB which I suspect you are using. Secondly do an extended CMOS clear by leaving the battery out overnight. Follow these pointers exactly please :

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »
Dark,

if i am powering on with seconday flash loaded with F11 and primary empty (erased with programmer) the bios starts and i am able to go into setup.

Remark.
With F4 as secondary bios PS2 Kb is not working but with F11 as secondary bios it does work.

So i flashed F11 on secondary flash and left main flash totally erased.

Started the comp...bios kicks in and i am able to go into setup. I go into Q flash..select a bios from the USB  stick...and perform flashing from Q flash.
Progress bar of the flash progress is quite fast...like it is updating only some sectors..
anyway...after update complete and restart computer .. the same seconday bios kicks in and says the same message that main bios checksum is incorrect.

More then that if i extract the main bios and read with programmer i can see all FF FF FF inside the 8M chip. It is like Q flash is updating the secondary flash not the first :(
I don't understand.....
Is there a way to disable this dual bios option and use the classical method.... ?

- i was able to boot the board one time only with the bulk F11 loaded into the main flash chip ( backup chip was off the board). I was also able to configure some drives on my LSI controllers. OPROM execution was fine and bios behavior was excelent...

Guys please answer to some questions
1. am i able to disable dual bios somehow .... ?
2. why was my board able to boot only from the main flash ( without secondary flash soldered) one time and the rest of my tries the board does not boot?
3. If you have any ideeas please let me know

At this point i have a very good mobo(hardware) but i am not able to set the right combination of bios on the flash chips and i don't understand why the Q flash procedure is not updating the main flash....Is there a way to specify which flash to update?

Thank you all

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:50:05 am »
I do have a bootable balckup bios.

Does anyone know how can i restore the main bios? (I had no luck with Q flash) Is there an automatic procedure?

At this moment my system is looping after displaying the main bios checksum error message.

Thanks.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:01 am »
I do have a bootable balckup bios.

Does anyone know how can i restore the main bios? (I had no luck with Q flash) Is there an automatic procedure?

At this moment my system is looping after displaying the main bios checksum error message.

Thanks.

To restore the Main BIOS by flashing from the Backup BIOS you simply follow these steps but be aware timing is crucial so it may take a few attempts.

You can kick in the backup BIOS by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB