Official GIGABYTE Forum

Submitted RMA, Received Same Mobo Back with Existing Problem

Submitted RMA, Received Same Mobo Back with Existing Problem
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:02:54 am »
I haven't had the best of luck with the Gigabyte P55-USB3 and in hindsight, I should have RMA'd it at the first sign of problems back in early 2011.

Despite me not having updated the thread, the problems have piled up to the point where the SATA ports were not recognizing devices with any regularity and the USB ports would either completely stop working or freeze the entire system, so I RMA'd the board a month ago.

I don't know if Gigabyte couldn't replicate the errors (the process isn't exactly transparent), but I received the same board back (same SN#) and it has the same problems. The SATA_0 port doesn't recognize any devices and the system completely freezes (in BIOS) when I plug in a USB flash drive. If I have a USB flash drive plugged in during boot, the system won't boot.

I've posted a recording of the above here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMJkaeQjzy8

I've tried installing Windows 7 via the optical drive, but the installation either freezes or errors out while trying to Extract Installation files. I've tried installing to a Kingston 128GB SSD and a Corsair 60GB Nova SSD and neither gets past the "Extract Installation Files" portion of the install.

I've swapped out SATA cords (from working computers), I've tried my actual pressed Windows 7 Home Premium disc and it yields no results.

I'm fairly certain that if my P55-USB3 was "repaired" at all, that it wasn't repaired fully as it's still exhibiting the problems I sent it in for.

Do I have any recourse? As you'd probably imagine, I'm not the most excited about opening another RMA request given the success of the first go-around.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:03:57 am by MrCodeDude »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Submitted RMA, Received Same Mobo Back with Existing Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:14:32 am »
Hi

I think you are going about this the wrong way. Apart from the fact that you should have RMAd the board when the problem first appeared the best course of action now is to contact your RMA department and ask them what repairs they did to your motherboard and if the tried to cure the problem it was sent in for.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:15:12 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB