Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z77MX-D3H Default Audio Problem

GA-Z77MX-D3H Default Audio Problem
« on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »
I love my new board, except that I'm having a problem with setting the default for audio.  The system keeps wanting to send audio through the HDMI video port to my monitor.  I want the audio to default to using my speakers, which are connected to the (green) audio out plug in back of the computer.  I've tried resetting the default, both in Control Panel and in the VIA HD Audio controls, but every time I reboot the audio is shifted back to the monitor. 

I'm running dual monitors.  The problem occurs when both are connected by HDMI, and when the primary monitor iis connected in DVI and the secondary in HDMI (had to switch video cards to make that test).  If the HDMI monitor is powered off at startup, there's no sound, as the audio is being sent to the HDMI port, which isn't connected to a live monitor.

Is there a way permanently to change the primary audio out?  This is really frustrating.  Thanks!

Re: GA-Z77MX-D3H Default Audio Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:05:53 pm »
Well, right after posting that, I figured it out.  You have to disable the HDMI audio output.  It seems like a bad idea that the HDMI audio driver is able to override manual settings and make itself the default audio driver, but at least I was able to make it stop.