Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1.Assassin 2 bios mult. initialise tries after disabling full screen logo show

RobD

Here's the issue: F10 bios
I'd noticed that sometimes my bios would have multiple tries at initializing, that is, getting to the Megatrends splash screen and system beep.
Also, when the bios did finally succeeded at initializing [somtimes up tp 5 tries], pressing del would either do nothing and windows would boot, or it would bring up the tab menu   ???

I then pulled the power from the computer, pressed the reset cmos button, rebooted and at the checksum screen loaded defaults and rebooted.
I was then able to do any number of boots into windows and restarts, or press del to enter setup and simply save and exit without changing anything and the system never failed once.
But, as soon as I disable Full Screen Logo Show [the only change], the bios would go into meltdown.

Of course, it's not too much of an issue, if it wants to show me it's pretty picture, fine - whatever keeps it happy  ::)
In fact, it's of no advantage to disabling it with this bios, as there's no boot info that gets hidden by the logo anyway.

It may however, be a pointer to a more sinister bug in the bios.
I'm yet to try the F11 bios.

edit: Almost forgot to add, that even after re-enabling the logo, the problems persisted. I had to reset cmos to kill the problem.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:02:33 pm by RobD »

RobD

A bit more info to add here.
So far, the behavior of the del key seems to be only affected by the disabling of the logo.
However, after making some other changes in bios [cpu power management] I had noticed the bios doing it's looping boot again.

Now, it may be fair enough that it does a retry or two immediately after making some changes, but this happened after I had made the changes, had saved and rebooted [no loops at this stage] and was in windows and had done a restart [no changes made in windows] out of windows.
I did a few restarts from windows and bios and it didn't do it every time [never has] but it did it a couple of times. Once after a windows restart and once after a cold start.

edit:
Did a full install of 7x64 sp1 with all drivers and not once did the bios do a retry.
The only time it did retry was after I had made a change in bios.
Next install will be with the logo disabled.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:00:39 pm by RobD »

C-BuZz

This is a strange one Rob. If I disable the boot logo it still shows up regardless  ::) F11 bIOS. Not having any issues with the delete key. It does sometimes take way to long to boot, even when optimized defaults are loaded. Loops like 3 or 4 times before any display on screen.

RobD

Wow, what do we make of that! F11 seems to have more issues than F10 in this regard.
So to be clear, yours is doing mutiple retries, not just on the first boot after loading optimized defaults, but on subsequent restarts without having changed anything in bios?

C-BuZz

Wow, what do we make of that! F11 seems to have more issues than F10 in this regard.
So to be clear, yours is doing mutiple retries, not just on the first boot after loading optimized defaults, but on subsequent restarts without having changed anything in bios?

Yes, if I do a shutdown & cold boot it will loop 3-4 times before anything is displayed on the screen. Not sure what's up with that.But it does boot consistently even if it takes 4 loops to boot.

RobD

Yeah was the same with mine when it was looping. After it stop tripping over itself, the boot would continue normally after that.
So, to clarify even futher, your logo is set to enabled even though it makes no difference as to wether the logo shows or not and on cold boots it sometimes or always loops?
What about warm restarts?

C-BuZz

Yeah was the same with mine when it was looping. After it stop tripping over itself, the boot would continue normally after that.
So, to clarify even futher, your logo is set to enabled even though it makes no difference as to wether the logo shows or not and on cold boots it sometimes or always loops?
What about warm restarts?

It loops with the logo enabled or disabled. Still takes the same amount of time for something to appear onscreen.

If I disable full screen logo (stupid looking skull with knife in its mouth) it still shows up regardless.

RobD

It loops with the logo enabled or disabled. Still takes the same amount of time for something to appear onscreen.
Is there any difference between cold starts and warm restarts?

If I disable full screen logo (stupid looking skull with knife in its mouth) it still shows up regardless.
Ha, I agree!!  :D I could have done without the 'gun' sitting on the chipset as well or the 3d bios - never use it - never will!!
It's much faster to just drive a bios with a keyboard - and only a keyboard!

C-BuZz

Ha, I agree!!  :D I could have done without the 'gun' sitting on the chipset as well or the 3d bios - never use it - never will!!
It's much faster to just drive a bios with a keyboard - and only a keyboard!

Cold boot is full shutdown & then power on. Warm is a reboot.

I tried using the mouse for all of 5seconds, then realised how gay/laggy/clunky it was & straight back to the old keyboard of win  ;D  I've also noticed when you first go into bios & start changing voltages it totally locks up for about 10seconds before you can enter a voltage  ???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:35:03 am by C-BuZz »

RobD

Cold boot is full shutdown & then power on. Warm is a reboot.

Ah sorry, you've misread me. I meant is there any difference in the behavior of your bios.

RobD

Well, this is odd. I have installed F11 and so far it hasn't missed a beat - no loops on cold or warm start and disabling the logo works, in fact with raid enabled, it's even less annoying than F10.
With F10 and raid, it would first show the Megatrends logo then the raid setup then the Megatends logo again then boot.
With F11, it goes straight to the raid setup then Megatrends then boot.

So I'm foxed as to what the story is with yours   ???
Maybe try reflashing it again?

This shouldn't matter, but just to keep us on the same page, when mine finished the flash, I chose Load opt. defaults, then as it rebooted and I got the system beep I pressed power to kill it, then switched the ps off and pressed clear cmos, then restarted and at the checksum screen chose Load Opt. defaults and reboot, then went into bios and reset sata to raid then booted windows.

After a few boots to check for loops, I turned off the logo and all is still fine with no logo.

Edit:
I should add that mine did loop a couple of times immediately after flashing, but I'll write that down to 'fair enough'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:15:56 pm by RobD »

RobD

Also, when the bios did finally succeeded at initializing [somtimes up tp 5 tries], pressing del would either do nothing and windows would boot, or it would bring up the tab menu   ???

Ok, have got a handle on the 'press del to enter setup' issue.
Have started a new thread on it.

RobD

F12a is very good, only a couple of retries in many restarts and config changes.
Full screen logo enabled or disabled has no effect.

Hope they will give us perfect solution about that issue. Thank you so much for this post buddy. Good luck.

RobD

Hey thanks  :) I have also bought a Intel DX79SR board for comparison [even it has issues!!] and have discovered something about Assassin's F7 bios that should not be possible - more than 2tb efi boot on the marvell controller, but only with F7 and maybe others, but certainly not with F11 or F12a.
Will start a new thread on it.