Official GIGABYTE Forum

Getting both SATA ports to same speed

digi

Getting both SATA ports to same speed
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:23:17 am »
I have a Z68X-UD5-B3 and I  am trying to use 2 identical (model, size, FW) SSD drives. I have XHD setup, and I have Win 7 installed across a RAID0 stripe. Works fine, except that one drive shows up as 6Gbps and one at 3Gbps. I have swapped cables, to no avail. It seems that port 1 is the one that ALWAYS shows up as 3.

Any ideas how I can get both to 6?

Thanks

teuteu

Re: Getting both SATA ports to same speed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:21:22 pm »
Hello,

I have the same issue with my SSD, On the first white sata port I have a Crucial M4 with windows 8 on it.
AS SSD bench => read speed 508 MB/s // Write270 MB/s

on the second white sata port, I have a Corsair Force serie 3 120
AS SSD bench => read speed only 202 MB/s...

Any clue/idea?

cheers.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:58 pm »
Here read this and what you are doing isn't what you think it is doing. That is maybe why one reads at 6gb & the other at 3gb

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2594&page=3

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

teuteu

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
well, actually I don't want to use this technology, I just want to have High speed SSD on both sata3 port :( This morning I try a fresh install on the Corsair force3 120, Crystal Disk Mark result is R=212 MB/s and W=81 MB/s (it's more than half the speed on a sata3 6GB/s isnt'it? )

on the secondary port my Crucial M4 is still @ 500 MB/s wich is pretty good i guess. My question is "Why the Corsair is so slow?" :(

Thanks guys

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:37:35 pm »
What I'm trying to point out is that the XHD setting is only if you want to use one of your drives for cache.

The first SSD will be faster and the 2nd is for cache memory only. That is what the XHD is for.

If you want both drive to read & write the same you have to use AHCI controller.

Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide

Note: This feature requires that the SATA controller be set to RAID mode via the system BIOS.
Intel® Smart Response Technology is an Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RST) caching feature that
improves computer system performance. It allows a user to configure computer systems with an SSD
used as cache memory between the hard disk drive and system memory. This provides the advantage of
having a hard disk drive (or a RAID volume) for maximum storage capacity while delivering an SSD-like
overall system performance experience. Intel® Smart Response Technology caching is implemented as a
single drive letter solution; no additional drive letter is required for the SSD device used as cache.

System Requirements:
For a system to support Intel Smart Response Technology it must have the following:
 Intel® Z68 Express Chipset-based desktop board
 Intel® Core™ Processor in the LGA 1155 package
 System BIOS with SATA mode set to RAID
 Intel Rapid Storage Technology software 10.5 version release or later
 Single Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or multiple HDD’s in a single RAID volume
 Solid State Drive (SSD) with a minimum capacity of 18.6GB
 Operating system: Microsoft Windows* Vista 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Windows*
7 32-bit Edition and 64-bit

Setup Guide
Configure SATA Mode in BIOS Setup
1. Press the F2 during boot up to enter the BIOS setup menu
2. Go to Configuration > SATA Drives
3. Select the setting for Chipset SATA Mode and change the value to RAID
4. Press the F10 key to save settings and restart the system.

Operating System Installation
5. You may now begin installation of the operating system on the HDD (or RAID volume)
6. Install all required device drivers
7. Install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software version 10.5 or later
Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology
Note: The Intel RST software denotes Intel Smart Response Technology as Accelerate
8. Run the Intel RST software through the All Programs menu or the task bar icon.
9. Click “Enable acceleration‟ either under “Status‟ or “Accelerate‟.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

teuteu

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39:13 pm »
Hi,

thnaks dmdilks for the answer. the XHD option is disable in my bios, I just want to use my SSD0 as a system disk with windows8 and some softwares, and the other SDD for a working disk. as simple as that. The only thing is that my second hard drive is slower than the first and I don't know why :)