Official GIGABYTE Forum

G1. Assassin 2 re-installing win7 x64 can cause 2tb clip of raid volume.

RobD

This is a variation of the other 2tb clip problem I've mentioned in another thread.
The setup is 2 x 2tb in raid0 on the intel controller.
bios is F12 beta - defaults loaded except intel in raid mode.

If you install win7 x64 and then at some point for whatever reason, decide that you want to redo the install from scratch, if you simply restart win 7 dvd and delete all the current partitions at the 'choose a location' screen and then recommence the install, when it's finished you will find that the c drive is only 2tb in size and all space over 2tb is lost.

The only way to recover the full capacity of the raid volume, is to go to the raid bios [ctrl-I] and recreate the volume.
It may be avisable to use the 'reset disks to non-raid' option instead of the 'delete raid' option, as i have found this to be essential in another situation I have come across.

Other items of interest I noted with this issue, which play into other issues that I've posted here on, is that when I first went to re-install windows by simply deleting the current partitions, at the point where you load the f6 driver and then click customize [after the eula], there was a long wait before the volume appeared with the hdd led doing it's slow but accelerating blink routine, as per the usb3 driver issue.

Also, if you re-install windows by only deleting the current partitions, at the first restart of win setup, you are presented with the prompt 'press any key to boot cd or dvd' which of course you have to ignore so setup can continue, but by ignoring it you get the dreaded flash on the screen which is known to have the fatal consequence of also causing the 2tb clip problem as I have noted in another thread.

I doubt that it is causing the 2tb clip issue or any further issues in this scenario, as I think the 2tb clip has already occurred at the commencement of win setup, but it does make me nervous to see that!