Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA Z77 D3H onboard video not working

GA Z77 D3H onboard video not working
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »
GA Z77 D3H when originally built the onboard graphics were working. I installed a separate PCIE video card and onboard video no longer works. Tried changing to onboard video in bios without any success. I updated the bios to latest F18 and my nic disappeared so went back to original bios. HELP!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:59:42 pm by jatrader »

Re: GA Z77 D3H onboard video not working
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:18:51 am »
The on board video will always be disabled if you hook up an external video card. This has been like that for as far as I remember.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:20:03 am »
I just posted in your other topic, the issue you are facing with the on-board video not working when you have an external video card is normal and has been like that for as long as I can remember on any motherboard. Is this the only issue you are facing?

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:17:31 am »
npolite. That is not my experience. I have another gigabyte MB with onboard video that I ran with another video card plugged in. I use 4 monitors.
Besides, the bios would not give you the option to make the onboard or the other video the priority if what you say was the case.
My onboard video is not working whether I have another card plugged in or not. And When I tried the latest bios my network adapter stopped working. I tried re-installing the network adapter, but no matter what I tried it would not show up in devices.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:56 am »
npolite. That is not my experience. I have another gigabyte MB with onboard video that I ran with another video card plugged in. I use 4 monitors.
Besides, the bios would not give you the option to make the onboard or the other video the priority if what you say was the case.
My onboard video is not working whether I have another card plugged in or not. And When I tried the latest bios my network adapter stopped working. I tried re-installing the network adapter, but no matter what I tried it would not show up in devices.

If you take out the video card and the on board video is not working, that is a problem. Try to clear the CMOS out by removing the power cable and battery for 30 seconds and see if it works again. Also check the documentation to see if there is a switch or jumper cable that you need to move to get both to work.

Like I mentioned, I haven't seen that you could use both and it usually is written in the manual that it can't be done. I would check there first to verify if you can do that with this board.

Wentworth

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:04 pm »
Make sure you have the right driver.  For some reason I can not explain, some Gigabyte installation CD's does not have all the drivers for 32 and 64 bits for all thee Windows versions (XP, Vista and Win7).  Go to their site and download the proper drivers.  Make sure that the BIOS is set for the onboard Intel GPU as active before you install the driver.  If you have a discrete card pluged in the MTB, get it off.  Install the embedded Intel driver first, than reboot.  Only then, you will be able to install your discrete card on the MTB by disabling the onboard in the BIOS before you turn-off the computer.  Install the discreet card and plug your monitor in it.  First try the VGA (15 pins) then the DVI while you turn your computer on again.  You wil have a 1024x768 resolution at first.  Install the discrete card driver and voilà it should work fine.  Please do not upgrade the MTB firmware for nothing.  If everything works fine do not bother to go for a newer BIOS upgrade.  Most problems are related to over upgrading the BIOS.  Each BIOS is set for specifics MTB and are most of the time too performant for the MTB you have.  If you have a MTB with only 16GB of RAM and upgrade the BIOS to one that initialize 32GB you will end up with problems.  BIOS are a lot more complicated than a few years back.Hope this will help.  Cheers.

nutz

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »
Had lots of fun with this one. Although not the same type (Z77X-UD5H + i5-3570, BIOS F14), I might have a solution.

My symptoms:
  • worked well without extra video card
  • worked well with extra video card
  • after unplugging the extra video card, the BIOS did not show a screen. Got 4 beeps (in morse: -...). System booted into OS, but no screen (my monitor did not get a signal).

With the extra video card I could enter the BIOS. I set "Init Display First" to "IGFX", but after reboot this flipped back to "Auto".  :o

Tried to plug the extra video card in different sockets, but no change.

Tried to clear the CMOS, but it seemed that not enough was cleared: still no screen without extra video card.

As a last resort I reflashed the BIOS (same version, F14). After the verification was done, a message was shown about "Reset" (cannot remember exactly), and the system rebooted. I quickly flipped the power switch to off, removed the extra video card, turned the system on and got a screen!  :P

So try reflashing your BIOS with the same version.  :)

Regards, Nutz.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »

Like I mentioned, I haven't seen that you could use both and it usually is written in the manual that it can't be done. I would check there first to verify if you can do that with this board.

Hi npolite

Although you can use the motherboard with both the onboard and the external card installed you must set the BIOS to Auto so that it will then decide to use the external card if it is there.

Hi nutz

While not being funny it sounds like you didn't save the BIOS settings after making the changes originally. It is an easy step to miss. Just press F10 after making your changes and you will be given the option to save them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:48:48 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

nutz

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:44:47 am »
While not being funny it sounds like you didn't save the BIOS settings after making the changes originally. It is an easy step to miss. Just press F10 after making your changes and you will be given the option to save them.

This is indeed something easy to miss. I know because I noticed doing this myself.

To be absolutely sure I decided to plug in the external video card and to verify my steps. This time I used a second monitor: one connected to the external video, and one connected to the internal video.

To my utter astonishment I could not reproduce any of the strange things I encountered before.

No flipping back of a setting, I could switch between internal and external video (via the BIOS). And after removing the external video card I had a screen after booting.

Well, I am baffled.

Of one thing I am absolutely sure: at some point I could not get a screen without the external video card. And it is hard to imagine I forgot to save the settings every time I tried (I tried several times).

Regards, Nutz.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:41:28 pm »
Hello everybody,
I've got the same problem as nutz. I'm going to try reflashing the BIOS, as he tried. It seems that the motherboard won't save changes about display order.
Is that possible that it comes from VirtuMVP technology ?

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »
Reflashing the bios (F15 which I already had), shutting off the PC then pulling the PCIE card fixed almost everything. But I have one problem left. I have to use the analog cable to my monitor for Windows to work correctly. If I use the digital cable, I see the Starting Windows message then shortly after that, Windows disconnects from the monitor. I get a no digital signal message on the monitor.

I have updated all drivers both from Gigabyte and Intel. Monitor settings in bios are set to auto now. I'm afraid to mess with them again.

Richard

ysw

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 03:04:15 am »
the latest bios of z77-d3h is f19g.
you can try to update this bios to check.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4327#bios

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:16 am »
I have the GA-Z77MX-D3H version of the board. F15 is the latest bios.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:39 pm »
Well, after going back and forth with Gigabyte tech support, their answer was to do a clean install of windows which I'm not about to do. I had performed a non-destructive Win7 install as I had upgraded from an older Gigabyte motherboard. I can live with using the analog VGA connection rather than the DVI connection.