Official GIGABYTE Forum

64-bit Z77X-UD5H bios update

Inez

64-bit Z77X-UD5H bios update
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:12:28 pm »
Hey guys,

I recently needed to enter my bios to change a setting but realized I could not. I was pressing the del key during boot but it did not do anything. After some reading I found out that this is likely because my BIOS version (F7) does not recognize my keyboard (Corsair k90). However when I went to update the bios the installer told me it could not run because I was using a 64-bit OS. How do I get around ths?

ex58

Re: 64-bit Z77X-UD5H bios update
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »
Entering the BIOS and update has nothing with OS.
Try to use USB2 ports (even infront your case) or use cheap  keyboard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:18:22 pm by ex58 »

smashly

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:16:21 am »
Use another keyboard and make sure you plug the keyboard in to one of the native z77 USB 2.0 ports (Red usb ports on the back of the board, above/next to the IEEE 1394a  & eSATA Port).
I'd advise against flashing the bios from within widows even if you could, but that's just my opinion.
Use Q-Flash.
Extract the bios update to usb memory stick.
Hit the End key while booting the pc to enter Q-Flash.
Select Update bios from drive and select your usb stick...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:20:42 am by smashly »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:50:48 am »
This ios quite often a problem. It is simply that the  system isn't recognising the USB keyboard. You need to use a PS2 variety which you will find works fine. You can swap it over after you have finished working with the BIOS and shutdown. DO NOT PLUG/UNPLUG PS2 KEYBOARD WHEN POWERED UP.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

ex58

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:50:34 am »
UD5H don't have  PS2 connector.  ;D

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »
I know some of the newer boards don't but I didn't bother to check first!  ;D

In that case just try and use a very basic USB one and try the rear USB2.0 ports first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Zardoc

• Windows et les à-côtés
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:37:06 pm »
There are serious issues with all bios versions.

Either you can't enter bios with keyboard plugged in to USB 3 or can't update bios unless you use USB from board. If you plug a flash drive and a mouse in tower USB 3, mouse freezes.  :o

Gigabyte has to get their act together with a bios that will have all usb ports up and running wether you use USB 2 or USB3  :'(
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Intel® Core i7 3770K Unlocked 3.5GHZ 8MB
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
OCZ® Vertex 4 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 3 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 4 60GB
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Liteon 24X DVD
Coolermaster Haf X Tower
Corsair Gold AX850
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Hauppauge WinTV HVR

Wentworth

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:23 am »
USB ports are run through the INTEL chipset which recognize about everything are always in the back panel, all the others relies on a VIA chipset for which you need to plug all your 1.1 and 2.0 before you install the 3.0 driver, the VIA USB are headers only.  So if you need to use a VIA USB port please plug your material first and re-install the 3.0 driver than reboot.

Beware... XP does not recognize the 3.0 driver even under XP 64 bits (which was not a real full 64 bit OS) under Windows 7 please proceed with the above mentionned installation.  One other thing, if a BIOS version works fine, stick to it, most upgrades from one lever to the next is probably a good thing to do but upgrading again will make more problems than anything else because BIOS versions are made to correspond to a specific MTB serie which might not have the same specs.

Cheers.

Zardoc

• Windows et les à-côtés
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:35:24 pm »
Hi,

I tried your idea just for kicks.

Same issues. Front panel USB 2.0 can't access bios. If you have  a flash drive and a mouse plugged in USB 3.0, mouse lags badly.

I've had a handfull of Asus boards with VIA hubs and I've never seen this issue so far.  ::)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
OCZ® Vertex 4 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 3 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 4 60GB
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Liteon 24X DVD
Coolermaster Haf X Tower
Corsair Gold AX850
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Hauppauge WinTV HVR

Wentworth

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 01:44:45 pm »
Good morning.  The problem is not that VIA is not performant but when it is working concurently with another USB chipset on the same MTB it creates some minor problems.  The Intel works fine just because it is part of the CPU surrounding chipset.  The same applies to Ethernet ports.  Intel CPU's can only supply one Ethernet Port so the second one depends on another company chipset and Intel supports only 6 SATA ports all others will be handled by other companies such as Marvell.

To make it work you need to tune the bridge between the two.  Though USB do not work through a HUB and a bridge it has its own method to work independently (in parrallel not serie) without interfering with one to the other.  One on the way to have the VIA USB working properly is to plug-in all your peripherals before installing the OS, though in certain cases I saw it works only by re-installing only the driver, it depends on the OS version.  Driver re-installation works under XP but sure under Win 7.

In your last post you say that you are using the front panel USB, those are through VIA headers.  I do not know if you have kept your original BIOS version or if you have upgraded it again and again which also sometime makes more problem than it solves.  If they do not appear in your CMOS it simply mean that the VIA chipset has not been recognized by the OS and/or drivers are not installled but usually the BIOS has all it needs before installing the OS though there has been exceptions in the past.

Never plug a keyboard nor mouse into a 3.0 USB, it is like opening a garage door to let the cat out, at the worst it could degrade the speed of  the entire USB 3.0 layout.

I beleive you should the VIA site http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp to find the right driver set.  Make sure you also check on the motherboard the VIA chipset number.  Beware, there might be two VIA chipset, on for the USB, generaly located near the back USB ports and another one located near the PCI slots and sound chipset.  The tool at the address will provide you the exact drivers set for the USB which are different for each OS.

Hope this will help.  Cheers

Zardoc

• Windows et les à-côtés
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 01:16:59 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your post, but that just doesn’t cut it.
I don't want to bust your bubble, But I have been a mod on the VIA website for over 10 years.

VIA doesn't offer USB driver updates for the VL 810. I have been building boards for over 15 years and this is the first total incompatibility that I have found between two chips that offer USB 2.0 and 3.0. I have 2 Asus boards (ASUS P7P55D-E PRO, Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.0) working and I don't have any USB issues with front or back panels. I can update bios, change a 3.0 to a 2.0 or whatever and everything works like a charm. Imagine you plug 2 USB 3 keys in front USB ports and one just stalls.

Now you mention that you have to have all USB ports filled before install or don't update bios, or update drivers.

I'm sorry, but do I have wear goggles and gloves also?

Just doesn't make sense especially to the average Joe who just simply installs his OS, and hopes to have a fully functional machine.

Nothing on the Gigabyte website said you that you can have all these ports available but don't do this or that or it might not work.

Like Joe Biden said, what a bunch of malarchy.
 :-\
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:18:53 pm by Zardoc »
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
OCZ® Vertex 4 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 3 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 4 60GB
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Liteon 24X DVD
Coolermaster Haf X Tower
Corsair Gold AX850
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Hauppauge WinTV HVR

Wentworth

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »
Good afternoon

Mr Zardoc

I believe that the intent of this forum is to help other not to insult them because someone as different point of view and experience.  This is not a competition nor meant to revert to infantile answers and temper tantrums.  Suffice to say that being a moderator on Via for the past ten years, it seems that you do not have any answer for the problem encountered by Mr Inez.

It is very difficult to explain in details all the problems surrounding drivers as they are different between hardware manufacturers besides the problems created by different versions of Windows.  So it might work on certain models or manufacturers.  On the contrary it does certainly not mean that it works on all of them.

The only reason why I indicated the driver section of VIA is simply because I thought the driver was present on their site as it should be.  You should know better because Via supply different drivers for the same platform (such as Z77) for different MTB models and manufacturers.

The answer supplied is what resulted from our lab studies and multiple answers from different forums on this subject.  We work in the MTB, chipsets and BIOS research for more than 25 years and do not pretend to have seen it all yet.
 http://www.metacrawler.com/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&q=%22Windows+7+PROBLEM+with+USB+3.0%22&ql=

I strongly believe that everybody is incompetent specially when Microsoft has recognized that Windows 7 was creating problems not encountered under XP.  The actual number of actual posts on this forum among others shows clearly that it is a major problem.  It is also quite clear that there is a large portion of users that have difficulty with third party drivers for USB and Ethernet ports being on the same MTB.  The same seems to apply to the Thunderbird introduced lately.

Hoping to have a decent discussion the next time.

Cheers

Wentworth

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:06:07 am »
Good morning Mr Inez

As for the VIA USB Hub drivers on VIA please refer to the following VIA LAB site @  http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver

VIA has released a new drivers set for the VL800 & VL801 USB Host Controller Driver 1.90A last Feb 8, 2012

VIA also released a VL810 Superspeed USB Hub Controller Firmware 0.96 last Oct 1, 2012

Please note that these are universal drivers and Firmware, they may differ from your specific MTB.  Please read carefully the two files with the Firmware before doing anything.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:15:27 am by Wentworth »

Zardoc

• Windows et les à-côtés
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:41 am »
Good afternoon

Mr Zardoc

I believe that the intent of this forum is to help other not to insult them because someone as different point of view and experience.  This is not a competition nor meant to revert to infantile answers and temper tantrums.  Suffice to say that being a moderator on Via for the past ten years, it seems that you do not have any answer for the problem encountered by Mr Inez.

It is very difficult to explain in details all the problems surrounding drivers as they are different between hardware manufacturers besides the problems created by different versions of Windows.  So it might work on certain models or manufacturers.  On the contrary it does certainly not mean that it works on all of them.

The only reason why I indicated the driver section of VIA is simply because I thought the driver was present on their site as it should be.  You should know better because Via supply different drivers for the same platform (such as Z77) for different MTB models and manufacturers.

The answer supplied is what resulted from our lab studies and multiple answers from different forums on this subject.  We work in the MTB, chipsets and BIOS research for more than 25 years and do not pretend to have seen it all yet.
 http://www.metacrawler.com/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&q=%22Windows+7+PROBLEM+with+USB+3.0%22&ql=

I strongly believe that everybody is incompetent specially when Microsoft has recognized that Windows 7 was creating problems not encountered under XP.  The actual number of actual posts on this forum among others shows clearly that it is a major problem.  It is also quite clear that there is a large portion of users that have difficulty with third party drivers for USB and Ethernet ports being on the same MTB.  The same seems to apply to the Thunderbird introduced lately.

Hoping to have a decent discussion the next time.

Cheers

Mr Wentworth,

I am sorry that you did not see through the intent of my sarcasm. It was not aimed at you but at board makers like Gigabyte that won’t admit to incompatibilities between hardware on their boards which most often is due to driver, firmware or bios issues.

I must say that you clearly surprised me with your link to Via labs (a subsidiary to stay clear of the board label)

I am sorry if you thought that my comment was aimed at you but I merely wanted to point out that an end user usually buys a board, plugs it in and expects it to work properly without having to go through an (IKEA type) instruction sheet to get it to work.

It was the same issue with VIA chipsets and hard drives ATA 6 running at ATA 4 and incompatible video drivers with XP and everyone blaming someone else instead of working together to fix the issues.

Please accept my heart felt apologies for my vent.

8)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:37:53 am by Zardoc »
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
OCZ® Vertex 4 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 3 120GB
OCZ® Vertex 4 60GB
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
Liteon 24X DVD
Coolermaster Haf X Tower
Corsair Gold AX850
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Hauppauge WinTV HVR

Wentworth

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »
Mr Zardoc

Good morning

Before you write false pretences and excuses I feel that you should have a second look at your comments.  They are quite clear that I was the target of your idiosyncracies not Gigabye.  You have used a diatribe that pointed me directly with the number or you do this and do that is sufficient enough to appreciate the full extent of the intent.  Getting attention through stepping under the limelight with your 10 years experience as a moderator for VIA while you do not even know where to find a simple driver shows a clear narcissism caracter.

Suffice to say, that I will read over your messages from now on.