Official GIGABYTE Forum

New graphic card for my Gigabyte Motherboard

Darma

New graphic card for my Gigabyte Motherboard
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:55 pm »
Hi there.
I am new here, so i have a question. My Gigabyte motherboard is GA-965p-dq6 (yes i know it's an old model).
My friend gave me a graphic card "Asus HD 6450 Silent 512MB DDR3" so my question is, does my motherboard supports this graphic card or i'm gonna burn it when i install it? :)

ac

Re: New graphic card for my Gigabyte Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »
The card will fit your motherboard fine.  However the card is a LP (low profile design) which means if you have a standard computer case, the card will not fit the case. These cards are made for thin towers.  Have you seen the small dell desktop computers.  Well these cards are made for those types of cases.  That's why they make LP cards. You can modify the metal backplane to fit it in yor case. Or get a regular height solid backplane and cut it to fit the card.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:49:22 pm by ac »

Darma

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:46:39 pm »
Thank you for your fast reply.
Well, my computer case is a big one, so, i will remove the card that i have now and i will try to see if the new one fits correctly on my pc.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:56:42 pm by Darma »

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:13:28 pm »
Thank you for your fast reply.
Well, my computer case is a big one, so, i will remove the card that i have now and i will try to see if the new one fits correctly on my pc.

What AC is saying, is that the metal plate on the back of the graphics card may well be 1/2 the size of the standard case back plate. You might need to swap the back plate for a bigger one.