Official GIGABYTE Forum

Change Boot Order in Windows? / Intel Rapid Start - GA-Z77X-UD5H

BzowK

Change Boot Order in Windows? / Intel Rapid Start - GA-Z77X-UD5H
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:29 pm »
Good Afternoon All -

I just bought and assembled a new home server an am using a GA-Z77X-UD5H for the MB.  What an improvement!  I have  two questions concerning it, please...

I bought a new, 60gb msata SSD (SataIII) due to the MB having a slot for it.   Until receiving it, I used my old Velociraptor 10,000rpm 300gb drive.  After getting in the SSD last night, I used a utility to do a copy of the OS drive sector by sector to the new SSD.  Now, the system is booting from SSD, but the Veliciraptor is still in and attached as backup.

Questions

1. I'm currently connected from work via RDP.  Obviously, there are Windows utilities to change many hardware features of the GA-Z77X-UD5H MB, but is there one to change the boot order?  I want to go back to the old config to try something, but obviously can't get into BIO via RDP.  I tried Gigabyte's "Touch" utility, but it wasn't compatible.

2. What do you suggest would be the best setup?  Booting to my 300GB Veliciraptor 10,000RPM drive and using Intel Rapid Start with the 60gb SSD OR Booting directly to the SSD and putting paging file and install apps to Velociraptor?  I've never used Intel Rapid Start before so don't know hardly anything about it.

Notes:
- Those aren't the only drives in the computers - there are actually 5 more 2tb - 3tb ones too.
- I'm running Windows 7 SP1 x64
- 16gb RAM

Suggestions?  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Change Boot Order in Windows? / Intel Rapid Start - GA-Z77X-UD5H
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:42:09 pm »
Hi and welcome.

I haven't heard of any utility which would allow you to alter the boot sequence except through the BIOS. I can't really see it being poossible any other way. I would be interested to hear of any that you find though.

With regards to the boot order and which is better to have loading first I don't know. Trouble is that all this sort of thing is very new and most people, myself included, haven't had the chance to play around with it and learn from experience yet. Please post back with any answers to either of these issues though as I am sure there will be a lot of interested members.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB