Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55-USB3 driving me crazy! (BSOD or no POST)

P55-USB3 driving me crazy! (BSOD or no POST)
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
Hello, GIGABYTE folks.

I've been having instability issues with my PC for over a week now and I'm starting to think they're slowly draining my sanity.

PC specs:

Intel Core i5-750 @2.67Ghz (stock values with an AC Freezer Pro 7 CPU cooler)
Gigabyte P55-USB3 rev 2.0 (BIOS version F9, F10g made things even worse)
8Gb (4x2Gb) DDR3 G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ @1333Mhz
1 Corsair Force GT 120Gb SSD
2 Samsung F3 1Tb HDDs
ASUS GTX 460 1Gb
Corsair TX650W

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything was running flawlessly for almost 3 years since I built this, even after installing the SSD ~6 months ago. However, starting last week, seemingly out of nowhere, my PC became highly unstable (BSODs, W7 freezing at Starting Windows logo, BIOS freezing at POST, etc.)

I've tried pretty much everything I could find online, updated chipset/drivers/BIOS/firmware, secure erased the SSD, cleared CMOS via jumper and battery, reseated CPU/GPU/RAM (temps are fine), memtest on individual RAM sticks (no errors), etc.

At this point I'm unsure whether it's a dead mobo or failing PSU. The SSD boots just fine on other computers, so it's not the drive. However, on my mobo, now I can't even install windows on the HDDs (on which I ran W7 before buying the SSD). I've tried to install via 3 different W7 disks and USB drive = nothing. As soon as Windows setup loads its files, the computer freezes at the Loading Windows screen (where the dots are supposed to appear and create the Windows logo). Can't boot in Safe Mode, can't boot in AHCI or IDE mode, and to make things worse, if I try to boot from or install W7 on the SSD, the BIOS doesn't even finish POST (freezes when detecting drives to boot from).

Currently I either get 0x000124 BSOD, the computer freezes and I have to shut it down from the PSU swtich, or the screen fades to black with a red rectangle across the top third of it. (GPU issues?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is some of the weirdest stuff I've seen on any PC I've built/repaired.  ???

PS: Should I try booting my PC with a different PSU?
PPS: I also sometimes get MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR BSOD, and PartedMagic recently failed to install on SSD (said something about processor 2 issues) = dying CPU?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:42:06 pm by Irukandji »

Re: P55-USB3 driving me crazy! (BSOD or no POST)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:01:18 am »
Update: PSU seems to be working just fine. I guess it's either the CPU or mobo.

Speaking of, I've noticed that the PHASE LEDs on the mobo get stuck in a particular configuration when the computer freezes:

1 - green
2 - green
3 - yellow
4 - red

Anyone know what this means? I can't find anything regarding this in my mobo manual.

Re: P55-USB3 driving me crazy! (BSOD or no POST)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:50 pm »
bump