Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z87X-D3H 4 DIMM Memory Errors

mac59

Re: Z87X-D3H 4 DIMM Memory Errors
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 07:32:26 am »
Oh i stand corrected. I was under the impression Intel has stopped making boards with this generation. Apparently it's the next one. we'l see what happens next year I guess.

Anyhow, it's almost home time. tonight I will try brand new 4x8GB (32 total) Corsair Vengence Pro CMY16GX3MA16000C9 RAM. I will run tests with 4 DIMMS and F5 BIOS. If that still gives Errors i will try new F6c beta BIOS.

I am using Memtest86+ 5.00RC1 USB image to boot from. This test passes with flying colors when using any 2 of my old DIMMS.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

mac59

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 01:32:07 am »
Ok, over 9 hours of testing with Memtest86+ (and one run with windows memory diagnostics) shows that new DIMMS are working perfectly in 4x8GB configuration with BIOS version F5.

Looks like my old Corsair Ram was not happy with this chipset/motherboard. It Works perfectly fine in my old motherboard tho.

Also i should note my old non functioning RAM is on the official gigabyte compatibility list while new working RAM is not. Go figure.

Regards..

Also correction. New RAM I tested with is Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600C9
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:09:22 am by mac59 »

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:18 am »
Did you order 2x of the CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 kits to get 32GB?

mac59

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 01:22:54 am »
Did you order 2x of the CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 kits to get 32GB?

Yes, I ordered 2 kits to get 32GB. I made sure each kit was installed together in the same channel. (But this probably doesn't make any difference).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:38:36 am by mac59 »

Mosc_007

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 01:15:19 pm »
Exactly the same problem here.

Seems this Motherboard does not work with 4 Memory Slots Filled. Their are many messages on the Net about it.

Runs perfectly stable as long as you only use 2 memory Slots.

So far Gigabyte is not responding to Tickets about this problem.

I have a Quad Channel Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz that I took from my 3930k System. I know the Ram works perfectly. In the Z87X-D3H I get constant BSOD's if I install all 4 sticks. With only 2 sticks its perfect.

Charles

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:51 pm »
What sort of BSOD were you folks getting in a 4 stick configuration by the way? I have been getting a shedload of mainly IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL  and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ones. The problem gets worse with XMP enabled but I still get 2-3 BSOD events an evening with it running at 1333.

I'm really ticked off because the RAM I have is on the 'approved list' and in a 4 stick configuration (Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A16000C9B, 4x4GB bought as a kit and worked flawlessly on an old build for months) for the board I have (Z87-D3HP). In light of what i've read here i've dropped out half the RAM and will see if things improve.

And FWIW I did try the F5C BIOS that did nothing to help the problem and also caused problems with the USB (Windows started reporting the ports weren't running at full tilt) so I reflashed back to F4.

mac59

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 02:42:22 am »
Just an update.

System is still reliable with 4x8 Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 and F5 BIOS. Not a single BSOD so far.

My old ram is also working fine in another machine. (with i7 860 cpu).

Please post if CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 works for you in 4 dimm config.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:48:32 am by mac59 »

Mosc_007

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:15 am »
Interesting the Corsair PRO Ram is working with all 4 slots filled.

Anyway,

The Shop I bought the Z87X-D3H tested another Motherboard they had in stock. They tested with Gskill Ram. I tried Corsair Ram.

They have comfirmed this Motherboard DOES NOT work correctly with all 4 memory slots filled.

They gave me a Full refund on the Motherboard and also sent all their stock back to Gigabyte for a credit.

This Motherboard indeed does not work with all 4 memory slots filled.

Charles

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 10:15:10 pm »
I do have a ticket open with Gigabyte who linked me to a newer beta BIOS than is available on the website for the D3HP which they thought may address the issue. Unfortunately I got a BSOD within 40 minutes of applying this and sticking all 4 sticks back in (did 10 minutes of browsing and left it at idle and it died on its own).  So obviously they're working on the issue but haven't cracked it yet.  The BIOS seems otherwise OK so i've left it be, but got shot of half the RAM again.

Oh and I didn't have a single crash in 3 days of running the F4 BIOS (the current proper release for this board) with only 2 sticks in  ::)

I'm in a slightly awkward situation now as the cooler that was bundled with this board has a couple of slightly bent fins because i've had to take the fan off it about a dozen times whilst mucking about with the RAM (its oversized stuff so you can't get it out of the DIMM slot nearest the CPU any other way).  So it would represent a problem taking that back if the board needs to go back.

Is any other board manufacturer having similar issues by the way or is it solely a Gigabyte thing?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:16:28 pm by bigfatron »

ysw

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:54 am »
you may disable RC6 to check.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:33 am »
you may disable RC6 to check.

Firstly, was that addressed to me?  And secondly why would that make any difference? I use an external GPU so the on-CPU one I have disabled in BIOS anyway.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 08:04:48 pm »
I too have a problem with trying to use all 4 DIMM slots - and just letting the system default to the timings and voltage which I double checked against the mfg recommendations and they were in agreement. If I drop down to 2 slots - system is stable.

The memory that I chose is Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 - which is on the approved list - I happen to have a UD5H board and not a D3H - and I am running F5 bios (board originally came with F3 bios - had same instability with it as well). Was hoping F5 would fix the problem. And for me it was stable for longer with F5 - perhaps coincidence - but it lasted for a few days before BSOD vs just a few hours at the F3 level.

Has any one gotten one of these boards to run reliably with all 4 sticks? I think I saw where it looked like one person (mac59) had some luck running Corsair Vengeance Pro - what are the timings and voltages used by that memory? Just curious...

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 07:39:45 pm »
Seems my own support ticket has reached its conclusion after two weeks of to and fro, and not a happy one. Despite having ruled everything else out my D3HP still BSOD's with 4 sticks in play. Gigabyte don't offer advance replacement on RMA and i'm really not willing to be without a working PC for an indefinite period when they might just end up sending the same problem board back anyway.

So to get a quick turnaround i'm probably going to have to burn a day off to take it back to the place I bought it for them to look at and hopefully do a swift refund. And I can definitely say the board that replaces it won't be another Gigabyte.  To say i'm not happy about this whole situation is colossal understatement.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 11:55:47 pm »
Hmm - that does suck - having to replace it is bad enough - but not having advance replacement RMA is really not a great business practice to say the least. And from what I have seen the problems getting 4 sticks to work are so widespread - I am not sure a replacement is really going to be any better - just more of the same.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
Hmm - that does suck - having to replace it is bad enough - but not having advance replacement RMA is really not a great business practice to say the least. And from what I have seen the problems getting 4 sticks to work are so widespread - I am not sure a replacement is really going to be any better - just more of the same.

Is the 4 stick thing widespread on other boards? I got the impression its a problem thats more specific to Gigabyte.

Another option I suppose is to buy a 2 x 8 RAM kit and recoup some of the cost by ebaying off the 4 x 4 kit (which has been reliable stuff for me, just not on Z87!). Given direct and indirect costs of switching boards (i'd have to return a bundled cooler and purchase a new one in its place, buy new thermal paste, possibly go through the inconvenience of yet another OS install etc) its not clearcut.