Official GIGABYTE Forum

After BIOS update, I get "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly"

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: After BIOS update, I get "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly"
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 10:55:28 pm »
I'm running windows 8.1 on a MB that the bios isn't up to date and it is running fine. Plus with the F11 bios &  UEFI too.

It is the Ga-x79-UD3 and with a 5770 video card. One other thing to is it running a SSD too.

Bios F16 is the newest bios for that board. Because the bios is out there doesn't mean you have to update too it.

Plus if you can't go back to a older bios you will have to email or call support for the older bios.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:58:23 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

boab2791

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »
I updated my BIOS to F21 and Secure Boot was enabled by default.

Updated my Windows 8 install to 8.1 and got the same water mark u guys are talking about.

Board GA Z77 D3H Rev 1.0
Graphics Sapphire Radeon 6950

After installing the secure keys using the custom option and rebooting my system would not post and would just go into endless reboot cycles.

After reading this post on a working computer I managed to reset BIOS by pulling the graphics card, reseting cmos and plugging my monitor into the inbuilt dvi port to cancel secure boot by clearing the keys and disabling secure boot.

Windows 8.1 still insists though that secure boot is not configured correctly, its a little annoying!

Hopefully someone will figure out how we can

A. Get Secure Boot working or
B. When it is disabled get rid of the water mark message.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 09:26:56 am »
I somehow managed to recover my bios trying to remove this ridiculous watermark in windows 8.1. Secure boot was always disabled and hence I tried to install default keys and that bricked my bios. Even removal of CMOS battery for > 10mins didn't solve the problem. Somehow I managed to boot back to backup bios by keeping the power button pressed while turning on and off the PSU switch.

After booting back to older bios, windows booted fine with this stupid watermark. In the older bios there is an option to disable CSM (this option is present in newer bios too, but always gets disabled). I disabled CSM in older bios and tried booting. Windows booted fine and there was no watermark! BUT there is no bios prompt nor windows boot logo! There is no way to get to bios now. Windows boot fine after 15 secs but can't get to bios! Also, from windows, there is NO option to boot in UEFI setting. This one was missing from the advanced options!

Then, in windows the charms bar was not working. Looking at all settings, I found out that I have TWO displays!! WTF! I have only a single monitior. This extra display has a resolution of  600 X 800. No wonder charms was not working. Under device manager this monitor showed up as a "Generic non Plug-n-Play" monitor. I tried to uninstall this monitor but it always came back after booting. Reinstalled the graphics driver multiple times and still no luck.

Then I read up about UEFI settings. An it looks like issue with graphics card as mentioned in this thread. Seems UEFI need VGA capability or some thing like that. My graphics card is a radeon hd7770 with HDMI. And I had disabled the Integrated graphics in BIOS since I have separate card. So now I have no access to my bios and 2 monitors.

Then decided to flash new version bios from windows. This went smooth and back to old settings. And I am able to get access to bios now. Have set CSM to enabled. No more secure boot. Phew! This stupid watermark remains...

dmdilks

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 04:03:27 pm »
The life with MICROSOFT how stupid can they be doing this stupid secure boot. This will really shoot the other foot off.

What are they going to do now make windows 8.2 to fix this problem. This has to Jr Vista OS.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Yoda99

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:12 pm »
Just in case you have a motherboard without any integrated VGA chipset and you ended up here with a blank screen you should boot into your backup bios that will reset your main bios to the defaults without you needing a screen.  This is how i did that: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,13351.0.html

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:15 am »
This work for me ..

Please go to BIOS Setup\BIOS Feature\Secure Boot Mode set to Custom.
Then you will see “key management” option.

Press enter into key management to set “default key provisioning” to enabled.
Save and exit.

Go into Win8.1 and it will not show “win8.1 secure boot isn’t configured correctly

Put a hold on the above for a min ....   

Ok just found out that the first boot up was good and well

However the 2rd time I tried to to a boot up ..the motherboard would not post ..  I had to force start the back up bios ... 

so it didn't work well after all
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:39:20 am by sparks199 »

hisham

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
is Gigabyte aware of this issue ? are they working for a solution ? Seriously  >:( last official bios for UD5H on Aug 2012 !!!!!!!

Jaeger

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »
NO my friend,they don't even bother to read users problems posted in this forum... They have problems with all their mobos,but they continue to ignore our opinions!
I have also some issues with Z87X-UD4H on F7 bios (old sata II ssd random dissapear from system,drive boot not recognizing anymore i guess due to this incompatibility,etc.),plus buggy and crap bios with slow mouse movement - i mean the hardware itself is a top quality,but what the heck am i supposed to do with a powerfull hardware when is ruined/messed-up by the software??  :-\
I don't need beta bioses,i want something official,so WHEN WE GET A NEW BIOS RELEASE GIGABYTE? Come on folks,we actually paid for your motherboards and get zero support!
Anyway,i already started to regret the day i bought UD4H instead an nicer and way more stable Maximus VI HERO!

L.E.  I'm wonder if all motherboards issues described in this area occured after updating with @BIOS?... The rumor is that flashing program thru OS can cause a lot of problems. Next time i use Q-FLASH for sure!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:28:25 pm by Jaeger »

wpcoe

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 08:56:50 pm »
In the "misery loves company" vein, I have the same problem with Win 8.1 now:  "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark with my H77M-D3H motherboard.

After two fails trying to "update" Win8 to Win8.1 using the Windows Store link, a friend directed me to an .iso file for Win8.1 x64 installation, and I did a clean install.  Previouslly I had MBR formatted my boot drive, but this time decided to join the 21st Century and try GPT.  Can't get rid of the bloody watermark.  Win8.1 Event Viewer reports that SecureBoot is not enabled, when UEFI says it is.  <sigh...>

Not sure where to lay the blame:  Microsoft or Gigabyte.  But, pretty confident neither one will issue a fix, much less even care.

dmdilks

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »

I don't need beta bioses,i want something official,so WHEN WE GET A NEW BIOS RELEASE GIGABYTE? Come on folks,we actually paid for your motherboards and get zero support!

I know what you talking about. I don't like to use a beta bios either. But I had to one time because the bios was reading the CPU temp wrong. That was over 6 months ago too.

Plus I don't update my bios unless I'm having problem. Because the newer bios is out there doesn't mean you have to do it. Don't fix what isn't broke.

I'm wonder if all motherboards issues described in this area occured after updating with @BIOS?... The rumor is that flashing program thru OS can cause a lot of problems. Next time i use Q-FLASH for sure! 

I'm old school and I will never use windows to update my bios. Dos or Q-Flash I even clear the cmos before I do it.

Plus after I do it I'll shut the computer down. Pull the battery clear the cmos for about ten minutes too. I have never had a problem with a update for over 15 yrs.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 05:55:59 pm »
Hi All

The reason of this problem was correctly pointed out by Horacio in this post.

However we may try some workaround through the special bios for the motherboard (even if your VGA card in not compliant with UEFI), let's take Z77-D3H as the example.
Try to use this special bios F22b and let us know the outcome. Thanks
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 09:29:22 am »
Ok, it looks like Microsoft has rolled out a patch to remove this secure boot watermark.

"SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" message on the desktop
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark

Update removes the "Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2902864

Beekeeper

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:59 pm »
Ok, it looks like Microsoft has rolled out a patch to remove this secure boot watermark.

Thanks man!!!  ::)
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”