Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R endless reboot loop.

delphium

GA-X58A-UD3R endless reboot loop.
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:58:11 am »
Hi, recently I powered down my system (it is normally run 24/7) and upon powering back up the board displayed a message that I was able to partialy read before it disapeared.
The message read something along the lines of... "bad checksum" and "recovering BIOS" this message displayed once and never again.

The system had been working for years without issue previously until this reboot.

Upon booting the system, all the lights and fans turn on for about 3 seconds then the system powers off, wait for 3-4 seconds then powers it self back on, again on for 3 seconds before shutting it self off again.

There is no display on screen and no beeps.

I have attempted to use a single known working stick of ram in each of the 6 slots, same endless reboot loop issue.
I have attempted to remove the GPU, same again, endless reboot loop.
I have cleared the CMOS pressing the button on the back both while system off and holding it down during power up, when holding it down the system hangs online longer, however the moment I release the button, the system then powers off.

It seems to me that there is an issue with the BIOS, is there a way in which to fix this, or to force it to use the backup BIOS to boot so I can try flash the master BIOS to get it working?

Sadly it seems that Gigabyte solder the BIOS chips to the board making it much more difficult to order a simple replacement BIOS to test out.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Gigabyte X58A UD3R r2, i7 930 
12GB (6x2gb) 1600 DDR3 Tri-channel Corsair Dominator
1x AMD 7970
1x 128GB Crucial C300 SSD
2x 1TB WD 7200 SATA-III
5x 500GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA-II
Corsair TX 850W PSU

Thank you

Delphium
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:01:25 am by delphium »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R endless reboot loop.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
Have you tried to re-seat the CPU and try another PSU. At that point when the computer is booting and it is check for the CPU.

Yes it could still be memory. but the computer will still boot without memory. I had 6 or 7 of those board and I still have 2.

I try to see if I can get one of them to do the same thing by playing around with the power to the CPU.

This might sound dumb but have you tried to replace the battery.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

delphium

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I have not yet tried to re-seat the CPU, the system was working perfectly fine but failed after merely switching it off and back on again, no components inside have moved or even been touched.

I have not yet attempted with another PSU, the PSU is not all that old and is of good quality (corsair TX850W)
The only other PSU I have is in another working system, my partners pc, and im not sure she would appreciate me pulling her system apart.

I have removed the orignal battery from the board and replaced it with a brand new CR2032 battery.

I can try re-seating the CPU when I return home after work.

dmdilks

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
I tried somethings on mine and ever time it booted but with a black screen. From removing the power plug to the CPU, remove memory, & unplug the power to the video card, Here is something you can try.

Try this. Make sure to follow directions carefully and exactly. If it does not work the first time try it again.

BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

delphium

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:37 pm »
It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

I just got home and tried this, several times, sadly the issue remains.

I have a guest round atm and will have to try re-seating the cpu tomorrow evening.

EDIT: got a chance to try pulling the 8pin ATX power cable from the mobo as ive seen in other posts, and like other pots, the system remains powered up but no POST, as expected.

EDIT: I managed to test the PSU removing it from the system and shorting pins 13&14 with a fan attached to 4pin molex, this powered on fine.

EDIT: I found a spare modular PSU in my box of parts that has 8pin atx, using this PSU both 8pin and 24pin ATX cables, I still get the same reboot loop issue.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:12:06 pm by delphium »

delphium

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:48 am »
Attempted the backup BIOS kick in after swapping out the PSU, GPU and RAM again with different stuff, sadly still it will not boot into recovery BIOS.

Last thing to check is the motherboard on a desk outside the case for any short, strange that something would short given that it was working for years in its current situ.

And of cause to try re-seat the CPU.

If anyone can think of any other ideas then please let me know.

Will report back with my findings when done.

I filled a tech support case to Gigabyte support, however they have failed to contact me yet, even a failure to confirm that the ticket had been raised :S

EDIT: Seems I got a rather blunt reply from Gigabyte...

"If it was the BIOS Chip issue and if the board is out of warranty unfortunately we are not able to help."

I am disappointed Gigabyte, I was hoping we could work this out, not even willing to suggest trying the forums or other tricks to try start the board, just wash your hands of me why don't you Gigabyte.
At least the users on this forum are much more helpful!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:14:41 pm by delphium »

delphium

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 03:18:40 pm »
Please excuse me for the triple post, it seems I am no longer allowed to modify my previous posts, I'm guessing there is a time limit.

I am currently reading http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/33904-how-fix-dead-dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html
Comments here sound promising, but this procedure sounds extremely sketchy, however if Gigabyte are choosing to wash their hands of me then I have not much to loose right?

:(

dmdilks

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:58:35 pm »
Like you said what do you have to loose. The sad part is Gigabyte. You just at the beginning with them.

Us with newer boards are coming to the point. If you flash the bios to the newest one and you have problems you can't go back.

There was one that happen to a guy and he got a bios from support so he could flash back. They have cut out the older bios from the web site.

Yes all of are 1366 boards are at the end of their warranty. The thing I would do is if this doesn't work.

You might be looking at another board to replace that one.

delphium

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:25:11 pm »
Tried the bios chip pin shorting trick as linked to in my previous post, and have just re-seated the CPU, still no dice. :(

Only 2 months outside warranty, how most inconvenient. :'(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:37:18 pm by delphium »

delphium

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:44:04 am »
Looks like I need to do some shopping.

Thing is, I would like to try use as much as the kit I already have, specially the RAM of which I have 6 sticks.
It seems that Haswell socket 1150 lacks support for more than 4 DIMMS and I would be looking towards something like socket 2011?

What seems to be the going cpu and mobo combo these days?
Is there a good replacement for my gigabyte board?

Thank you dmdilks for all your help so far.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:15:31 am by delphium »

dmdilks

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »
I went from the 1366 to the 2011. I have two of the Gigabyte 2011 boards. I started out with the Ga-x79-UD3. Than I got a Ga-x79-UP4.

If you go with the UP4 that will take 8 sticks of memory. The only problem I had with either board was the UD3 I had update the bios.

Because in the bios I was getting the wrong temp on the CPU. Other than that the two boards are great. If you do go with the UP4.

Don't update the bios if has any thing other than the F4 bios. People having problems with that update F4. To bad you live across the big pond.

I just check your Amazon over there and they had the UP4 for about 175. Plus this guy has the UP4 too on ebay. MB & CPU 419.88.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-GA-X79-UP4-Intel-X79-S-2011-DDR3-SATA-III-6Gb-s-SAS-SATA-RAID-P-/131003013484?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item1e8063596c

delphium

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:23:14 pm »
dmdilks, thanks for the reply.
I was looking at socket 2011, then decided to call my regular online computer store to find out if my EK-water block would be compatible with socket 2011, sadly not, least not without a new mounting bracket, however the guy on the phone explained that although they have taken this item off their web page, they did actually have a board kicking around the warehouse that had been RMA'd, repaired and certified by Gigabyte, but the customer no longer wanted it, so the retailer got stuck with it.

It is, according to the store, fully functional, certified by gigabyte, is outside of warranty, and has all parts in the box, which they can deliver to me by lunch time tomorrow for just £60.

This was some great and rather unexpected news, for £60 with no warranty, its a risk, but its a cheap enough risk, even if it only last me another year.

EDIT: shop called back, its a GA-P67 UD3R in the X58A-UD3R box. Doh! back to shopping them. /EDIT

Hopefully it will last more than a year and give gigabyte a chance to redeem its self in my eyes in terms of reliability, if it fails after at 1 year or before, then ill likely be finding myself leaning towards an alternative brand of board.

I wish I could afford a 2011 system, but sadly now is the wrong time for me financially.

Once again thank you dmdilks for all your assistance, it means a lot to me that someone like your self has taken time out of their lives to help assist me in my woeful time, it is kindly appreciated.

Cheers
Delphium
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:30:43 pm by delphium »

dmdilks

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:25 pm »
delphium any time and it sounds like you found another board that will keep you going for some time too.

One good thing is that all you have to do drop it in fire it back up. No really big changes to do either.

I try to the best I can and maybe sometimes I'm not 100% right, but I try my best. Hope things workout too.

delphium

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »
Pardon me for reviving this thread however I think it might be relevant...

I decided to give up on the socket 1366 board and have purchased a socket 2011 system (GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI + i7-4820k) upon installing the board I found it to have the same behavior as my GA-X58A-UD3R, would boot then shutdown.

Even with alternative PSU's and motherboard outside the pc on a cardboard box it would still reboot loop.

Turns out for the GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI it was shipped to the store a week before the latest BIOS to support IB-E chips was released by Gigabyte, this has gone back to the store to get tested and possibly upgrade the BIOS. *fingers crossed thats all it is*

I experienced the exact same issue with the new board as I did the old and it got me thinking, maybe the GA-X58A-UD3R has reverted to the backup BIOS which is a version that is prior to supporting the i7-930 chip, which from the GA-X58A-UD3R CPU support list was supported from BIOS FF on-wards.

Could it therefore be possible that the board is ok but the backup bios does not support the current chip.
It would make some sense, seeing as the board went into recovering from backup bios to not working, sadly i have not other socket 1366 cpu to test with.

However i wonder if anyone can tell me what BIOS the board was likely shipped with, sadly I do not recall, it was purchased in July 2010, maybe its possible to get the board working with a socket 1366 chip that would be supported by such an old BIOS as that used in 2010?

Many thanks.

dmdilks

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 05:42:59 pm »
I'll Have to check on my two boards. It should support any of the 4 core i7 chips. The only update was for the 6 core chips.