Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-790XTA-UD4 USB boot problem

alforan

GA-790XTA-UD4 USB boot problem
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:13:31 pm »
Hi,

Just set up a Phenom II X4 system with the mb in the topic and the very last beta bios.

My problem is I can't boot from any memstick USB devices.
Note that the very same USBs boot from any other computers I tested.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-- Alfonso

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-790XTA-UD4 USB boot problem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:04:45 pm »
Have you checked the setting for USB Legacy devices in Bios/Intergrated peripherals? It should be set to enabled by default but if it is disabled your USB stick will not be recognised.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

alforan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:15:18 am »
Have you checked the setting for USB Legacy devices in Bios/Intergrated peripherals? It should be set to enabled by default but if it is disabled your USB stick will not be recognised.

The USB memory stick is recognized. It appears with the correct name in the F12/Harddisk selection.

At boot the message "can't find system files" (or something like that) is printed and no boot happens.

Note that there are system files for sure in it (it boots fine in any other computer I tried).

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
In Bios, have you checked that your Boot priority includes USB devices? Check under Advanced Bios features to change Boot priority settings.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

alforan

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:18:17 am »
OK, I tried everything. My motherboard doesn't boot from USB.

I tried with many mem stick created with many methods, from the very simple "format and copy system files" (yes it can be done using a small utility that enables ghosted check box under windows xp) to the BartPE USB creation and Linux USB distributions. They all boot in the other 3 computers I have, none of them boot with this motherboard.

The memstick is recognized, it apperars in the hard disks sub menu of the F12 booting menu, but it can't boot.