Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z87M-D3H Boot Loop, No post, Black Screen, Buzzer beeping constantly.

Hello,

As the title says, I have several problems with my brand new motherboard.

Related information:

- CPU Intel i5 4670k, brand new.
- Ram Kingston Value Ram 4gb 1333mhz, (got 4 modules, 2x2gb, 2x4gb), from previous build.
- PSU Thermaltake 550w smart, brand new.

The list of issues is the following:

- When I power up the computer, by shorting the power pins in the Mobo, the CPU fan starts spinning. After like 20 seconds it turns off, and then on again after a second. I plugged a buzzer, which emits short beeps constantly: Boot loop.

- The screen remains black. I tested with the included HDMI, VGA, DVI ports, and an HD6870. no luck. So, I can't tell the BIOS version.
- I tried clearing the CMOS, tested all my RAM modules individually.
- Hard disks were disconnected.
- I have no means to access the BIOS. (remembe, black screen)
- Build is semi brand new, it has never worked or behaved any different.

I think the BIOS version currently deployed does not support the CPU. I can't do any testing because I don't have other CPUs.
The -local- vendor refuse to do any testing. They won't do BIOS updates. So please, forget about them.

Besides the BIOS thing, What could be other reasons for this adverse situation? and solutions of course.

Any guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards.

EDIT: Full model of the PSU is: Smart 550W SP-550P, is that fully/likely compatible with the z87 chipset and i5 cpu? I won't do SLI/CF.

sorry if bad english  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:26:39 pm by Lauchaseca »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-Z87M-D3H Boot Loop, No post, Black Screen, Buzzer beeping constantly.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
Take the CPU out and check to see if you have any bent pin in the CPU socket. Plus one other thing is try taking the MB out of the case and try it on the box it came in.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:07:03 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:42:42 pm »
Hi,

I'm already testing on the MB box. At first I tried on the case, with same results.
About plugging a keyboard, I used ps/2 and usb ones, no change.

From some angles, I can see different light reflection on some pins, so they're slightly twisted, but as seen in the pictures below, the tips are all aligned.
and they don't have any contact between each other.

I'd also like to add a link to a video I recorded of the behaviour described. No need to show the screen, as is always black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBFeEvsI9uo

Oh, and I also tested booting without CPU (fan connected).  The fan starts to spin, but it stops inmediately, again in a boot loop. No beeping.

vvv444

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:10:25 pm »
Hi Lauchaseca,

I've just bought GA-Z87MX-D3H (which is not the same, but probably very similar) and experiencing what seems to be the same problem with slight variations.

When turning on, the motherboard went through several on/off cycles (seen by CPU fan on/off) ever since the first power on (I don't have buzzer, so can't tell, but it looks exactly as in your video).
After 2-3 several cycles the computer would boot up and I seen the BIOS. I even managed to install Windows 8.
However, after a few hours it stopped booting up. The current behaviour alternates between:
* Turn on for ~20sec with black screen and turn off. Then automatically go to next cycle.
* Turn on and get stuck in black screen forever
* Turn on and get stuck on GIGABYTE logo screen.

My configuration:
* i7 4770K
* 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
* Corsair RX850 PSU
* Nothing else connected except for power switch and on board HDMI.
* BIOS version is F2
* No overclocking, everything configured to Auto.

Have you managed to find a solution in your case?

Best,
Vasili

P.S. I also found this post, maybe it is related http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=13134.0
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:41:57 pm by vvv444 »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »
Vasili,
The behavior you describe sounds a lot like a corrupt BIOS image.  The on/off cycles, 20sec, then reset, then attempting to POST again.  I basically got the Asus rig in my sig into this situation last year after a failed flash, which although reported as successful, left my system non-operational and unrecoverable using crashfree, USB stick back up, MB CD and AMI boot block recovery.  That experience has brought me Gigabyte and will end 13yrs of my using and recommending Asus exclusively.  

To rule other components out, remove your CPU and inspect both the socket and CPU for any damage.  Inspect your DIMMs and memory sockets.  Sometimes a grounding issue can cause this/similar behavior.

You've already ruled out the video by using whats onboard.  If you have another CPU fan you can test with, try that.

If you continue to see the same behavior, I would focus on the BIOS image.  Try booting from the second chip and if possible re-flashing one of the chips with a new image.  If the board won't start and run, there is little more you can do.  Good luck with it.  I am well aware of the frustration that accompanies these types of failures.

Taking the above into consideration.  if this is a new build and you've made a reasonable attempt to troubleshoot the behavior, I would return to the retailer for exchange.  Its important to place value on your time, once a reasonable effort to diagnose has been made.

Lauchaseca Sorry....  not trying to side track the thread or your issue. Shipping BIOS is F7 which supports i5 4670k out of the box.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:27:59 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

vvv444

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:57:29 pm »
Unfortunately I already tried upgrading BIOS (to F5) and it did not help.

P.S. I opened a separate thread for this: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,14030.0.html
Don't want to hijack this one...