Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX980 G1 Rev1.0 odd noise

Grumle

GTX980 G1 Rev1.0 odd noise
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:41 am »
Hi
Just got this new gfx today, first thing was to run 3dmark ;D Just to test it.
I noticed that there seems to be some odd static'ish noise coming from the card itself. Wife immediatly noticed the same thing. At first we both thought it was sound from headphones, but they were disconnected (just to give an idea about the noise). I opened my case and it is most certainly coming from the card. It's not the fans either. Odd thing is, that it seems to only come when 3d mark is showing fps ?!? But that's yet to be  100% confirmed. Old MSI 680gtx doesn't make that noise.
Anyone else experienced this static noise?

Also, where do i register my card, if that is possible at all for Gigabyte.

GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:31:19 am by Grumle »

Re: GTX980 G1 Rev1.0 odd noise
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:33 am »
Hi
Just got this new gfx today, first thing was to run 3dmark ;D Just to test it.
I noticed that there seems to be some odd static'ish noise coming from the card itself. Wife immediatly noticed the same thing. At first we both thought it was sound from headphones, but they were disconnected (just to give an idea about the noise). I opened my case and it is most certainly coming from the card. It's not the fans either. Odd thing is, that it seems to only come when 3d mark is showing fps ?!? But that's yet to be  100% confirmed. Old MSI 680gtx doesn't make that noise.
Anyone else experienced this static noise?

Also, where do i register my card, if that is possible at all for Gigabyte.

GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD

I bet my money that it's the good old infamous "coil whine". It's something you'll here from the power components on a video card when it's under a very heavy load. It ranges from a soft hissing to all most a whistling sound. As for the question is it something to worry about? Maybe yes maybe no. If you notice poor or flaky performance I'd say yes, better to be safe and request an RMA. If there's no real effect other than the sound it'd be up to you. I've had video cards with minor coil whine and they lasted/worked just as well as ones without.

P.S. Your not the only one. It's pretty common with the launch of a new generation of cards.
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,15157.0.html