Official GIGABYTE Forum

[Help] Wanting to update my GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 from BIOS to UEFI. Errors!

I bought a 3TB HDD and need to update my motherboard's BIOS to UEFI to use the full disk space.

I need to clarify multiple things first. Yes, I have the right version. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. I've tried q-flash (Error: BIOS ID Check Error). I've tried @BIOS and got the "The Series Number for the new BIOS is not correct!" error.

Nothing is working, and I'm getting extremely frustrated. Please, someone help me. I've been working on this for 7 hours now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 04:59:39 pm by Nerevar »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,

to update from Award to UEFI BIOS you need to use the EFI Flashtool that comes with the BIOS update file. Check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2441.msg89013#msg89013 for more details on how to use this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Okay, tried that (using FLASHEFI as the first command since your recommended command didn't work). It began writing and deleting data. But then it gave me this message:

"!!! Fixture is NOT removed or Switch is NOT set to "ON" !!!"

... and then my PC froze at that screen. I had to shut it down. It's working fine now but it's still not updated.

Edit: AHA! Got it! I did the second command you suggested (FLASHEFI xxxxxxx.xx) and it updated perfectly. Got my 3TB HDD up and running and I'm about to reinstall Windows (updating the BIOS destroyed all my drivers).

Thank you so much for the help.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:33:41 pm by Nerevar »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Pleased you were finally able to update to UEFI. Forgot to mention that each board handles the update process slightly differently (sorry about that) but hopefully now, you can get back up and running properly.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.