Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 No post No beeps.

JD

Re: GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 No post No beeps.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 09:24:26 am »
For your previous question about running the CPU without a cooler, no it is not OK. This will cause the CPU to shutdown almost instantly and any further power on attempts in this state can damage the CPU.

Yes you can power the motherboard without the CPU installed.
Ok thanks for the info, I was just thinking because it wasn't posting that it might be Ok without a cooler to try once, good to know for the future.

JD

Re: GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 No post No beeps.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
OK, just to finish off, problem now sorted, new cpu arrive 2 days ago and tried it in but still the same, would power on but still not posting and psu fan was running flat out, so, tried another psu from one my other computers and this wouldnt even power up the motherboard, not even bring on the red light, this psu like the old one had a 4 pin cpu plug for the motherboard, the motherboard has a 8 pin cpu plug but the old psu ran it ok for a while, anyway then suspected the psu (not much left really) and ordered a corsair SF 450 and fitted, now working ok and am now writing this on said computer.

So i think the psu failed when my computer went off the first time and took the cpu with it, so will have to send it back.

I am now running the following and all is compatible and working 100%;
Z170n Gaming 5 motherboard,
i7 6700k cpu,
corsair Vengenance LPX DDR4 2133Mhz (CMK16GX4M2A2133C13),
corsair H75 water cooler,
corsair SF 450 psu,
samsung 850 EVO ssd M2.

Hope this will help someone in the future,
Thanks to everyone for their input and help