Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?

joevt

Re: Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 09:08:29 am »
The Gaming 7 uses the DSL6540 which is device ID 1577. The DSL6340 would give a device ID of 157d. The device ID is shown in the Device Manager.

Other intel device IDs are listed at:
https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086

There's an image of the chip on the Gaming 7 at:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7509/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-7-intel-z170-motherboard-review/index4.html

and enlarged at:
http://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/7/5/7509_27_gigabyte-z170x-gaming-7-intel-z170-motherboard-review_full.jpg

Leppermessiah

• Z170X-Gaming 7, BIOS F7
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 04:06:52 pm »
Oops!  :-[

Too late to modify my last post too.

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification, though.  :)

Leppermessiah

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 05:14:19 pm »
I wonder why our PCI bus is 9 and there's is 7.

Gigabyte says it may be because they don't have a video card installed on their test PC.  They suggested I pull all my PCIe cards to see if it makes any difference.

I'm gonna wait to hear from Intel.

elc00l

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 07:29:10 pm »
I wonder why our PCI bus is 9 and there's is 7.

Gigabyte says it may be because they don't have a video card installed on their test PC.  They suggested I pull all my PCIe cards to see if it makes any difference.

I'm gonna wait to hear from Intel.
Maybe true, I don't have any dedicated video card installed and I have PCI bus 7.

joevt

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 06:02:54 am »
I've unplugged all my PCIe cards (NVIDIA graphics, FireWire) and the PCI bus remains at 9 for the not connected Thunderbolt Controller. I can't find any device on bus 7 or 8 (using SIV64X.exe) so I'm not sure why the PCI bus enumeration skipped from 6 to 9. Maybe it would change to 7 if it got connected/fixed...

I would like to see a console app from Intel that can do the firmware upgrade, or read the current firmware to compare.

Leppermessiah

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 09:23:56 pm »
I've unplugged all my PCIe cards (NVIDIA graphics, FireWire) and the PCI bus remains at 9 for the not connected Thunderbolt Controller. I can't find any device on bus 7 or 8 (using SIV64X.exe) so I'm not sure why the PCI bus enumeration skipped from 6 to 9. Maybe it would change to 7 if it got connected/fixed...

I would like to see a console app from Intel that can do the firmware upgrade, or read the current firmware to compare.

Well, according to Gigabyte, this would indicate a problem with the controller.

Still no word from Intel.

Leppermessiah

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »
I finally got tired of waiting for Intel to respond to my ticket and called them up.  The gentleman on the other end barely allowed me to get a word in edgewise, instead telling me that I would have to contact Gigabyte.   :-\

The most I could squeeze out of him is that it is probably a problem with the drivers, not the controller... but at this point it seemed like he was just trying to get me off the line, so who knows.  :o

Leppermessiah

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 06:07:04 pm »
Now someone else at Intel tells me that the error code is simply displaying because I don't have anything connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/101090

Guess I'll just wait and see if and when I get my awesome Thunderbolt 3 something or other, if it will work.

joevt

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »
It sounds like people are just saying stuff without trying it. If they haven't tested it, then they can't know for sure. The people that you talked to at Gigabyte or Intel sound like they have no experience or actual product to test.

I was thinking about asking people in other recent Gaming 7 threads in this forum to report on their Thunderbolt experience and status in this thread...

I've ordered a Thunderbolt 3 device to test this before I start complaining to GIGABYTE, Newegg, or Intel. The only device available currently is the AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro. Actually, if you had another GIGABYTE motherboard or another thunderbolt motherboard, then maybe you could connect them to test. Gigabyte should have plenty of motherboards to try that...

Another thing that needs testing are the alternate mode adapters (DisplayPort, DVI, etc). I know the USB 3.1 part is working. I know someone with a MacBook - I'll ask to test some of the adapters they have (even though the MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt, the adapters should work - maybe?).

Leppermessiah

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 11:59:16 pm »
It sounds like people are just saying stuff without trying it. If they haven't tested it, then they can't know for sure. The people that you talked to at Gigabyte or Intel sound like they have no experience or actual product to test.

The best part is that apparently the responder on the Intel forums gets to select the "best answer."  Which he did.  As his own.  End of discussion, I guess! lol.  :o

I was thinking about asking people in other recent Gaming 7 threads in this forum to report on their Thunderbolt experience and status in this thread...

Yeah, you could just try PMing them.  I'm still hoping with all the views this thread has had that we can accumulate a little more end-user data.

I've ordered a Thunderbolt 3 device to test this before I start complaining to GIGABYTE, Newegg, or Intel. The only device available currently is the AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro.

I've looked at this device too.  Actually, there was just recently a review done of it here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10248/thunderbolt-3-in-action-akitio-thunder3-duo-pro-das-review

Hefty price tag though (which will hopefully come down as more TB3 devices come out).

Actually, if you had another GIGABYTE motherboard or another thunderbolt motherboard, then maybe you could connect them to test. Gigabyte should have plenty of motherboards to try that...

Hmmm... I could call Micro Center (where I bought it) and see if they'd be willing to do that for me.

Another thing that needs testing are the alternate mode adapters (DisplayPort, DVI, etc). I know the USB 3.1 part is working. I know someone with a MacBook - I'll ask to test some of the adapters they have (even though the MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt, the adapters should work - maybe?).

Definitely.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:01:51 am by Leppermessiah »

Leppermessiah

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »
Brought my desktop into Micro Center to have them test out the USB-C/TB3 controller.  They lacked the ability.

Now I know why they call this the "bleeding-edge" of technology. 

Leppermessiah

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 05:07:33 pm »
I bought a USB-C flash drive and it works!  Does that mean TB3 will work?  Not necessarily.  lol.

joevt

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 08:14:33 am »
I bought a USB-C flash drive and it works!  Does that mean TB3 will work?  Not necessarily.  lol.

I've had no problem with USB-C devices...

I just got a Thunderbolt 3 device (Akitio Thunder3 Duo Pro) and everything is working as expected now. See my screenshots at
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3033747/calling-gigabyte-z170x-gaming-ud5-motherboard-owners.html#17859728

Looks like that someone else at Intel was right.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:15:16 am by joevt »

Leppermessiah

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 05:37:04 pm »
That's a relief to hear.  Intel guy was indeed right... even if they were only right 1 out of the 3 times I raised this issue.

How do you like the drive so far?