Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?

joevt

Re: Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 11:33:01 pm »
How do you like the drive so far?
I don't need the drive space yet so I probably won't use it very often.

Cons:
1)
You can only put in 2 drives so it's not pushing the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 3.

Pros:
1)
You can put in 2 drives. I said that was a con but that's better than the single drive external cases I've used before.

2)
Even if you use the only Thunderbolt 3 port of your motherboard, the drive lets you add another Thunderbolt 3 device, possibly even more Akitio drives to get past the 2 drive limit, though the performance will drop a little for each extension of the chain.

3)
Solidly built. It's very quick to add or remove a drive. Two screws to open it up, then one screw for a 2.5" drive, or up to 4 screws for a 3.5" drive. It might be easier to add drives into the Akitio than my CPU case. The screws of the Akitio are all captive thumb screws, so you don't need a screwdriver and you don't have to worry about losing them like with my CPU case.

4)
If you don't have a Thunderbolt 3 connector, you can still use the drive by connecting it to a USB 3 port. You can't use the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the drive as a USB 3 hub though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:38:03 pm by joevt »

Leppermessiah

• Z170X-Gaming 7, BIOS F7
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 03:32:09 am »
I'd be interested in seeing some data transfer speed benchmarks if you get the chance.  Also wondering if it is powered by TB3 or if requires external power.

joevt

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 08:33:00 am »
I'd be interested in seeing some data transfer speed benchmarks if you get the chance.  Also wondering if it is powered by TB3 or if requires external power.
External power is required. I don't have two SSDs to test the maximum performance. There are reviews at
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10248/thunderbolt-3-in-action-akitio-thunder3-duo-pro-das-review
and
http://barefeats.com/hard216.html

Leppermessiah

• Z170X-Gaming 7, BIOS F7
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 06:03:04 pm »
If I got this, I wouldn't use SSD's.  I'd probably have a setup like yours.  Just curious.